Tidal Connect

I cant recall last time I took my car in the garage, and they gave it back to me to say “By the way, we’ve added AirCon, added 10BHP and reduced MPG, and dont worry no charge”.

Sorry, the car analogy doesn’t work in SW space 2021.

3 Likes

OK, so in SW space - feature updates of software normally come in Version updates and either need a new purchase, or a ongoing subscription. So yes you are paying Tidal a subscription, but that doesn’t guarantee the underlying platform will support that change. Of course you will always find examples of getting free feature updates, but I dont find them that common.

You should try Fujifilm cameras. Regular and often significant updates. It’s like getting a free new camera every so often.

Until the hardware simply can’t cope with the new software potentially available…Then you buy a new Fuji because the camera and the manufacturer are both so excellent.

3 Likes

And yet people wonder why so many look to chord DACs/scalers etc rather than stick with Naim all the way through their system…

This is getting way off-topic, but with e.g. Tesla things like these happen even without having to take your car to the garage, just OTA (over-the-air) updates to the embedded software in your car.
[So @Blackbird, it does work for some car brands. :wink: ]

To get a little more on-topic, these days a lot is software (hardware being ‘just the vehicle’), and it’s reasonable to expect decent support & updates for quite some time. If not, you’d switch to a different vendor. Now as to the business model behind that…

I’d be unhappy if ever find out that, like a Tesla, my NDX2 already contains the actual hardware for better performance but it was artificially locked away until I pay more :wink:

I know you jest, but it is not dissimilar to bringing your fossil fuel car to a chip tuning shop. All that power was already there, it’s a matter of tweaking the proper parameters and adjusting timings etc.
Some may even see an analogy here to what Roy :ear: :ear: does when finalising the SQ for releases.

[And then there’s the old mainframe days, where an upgrade could consist of an engineer coming by clipping a few wires or changing a jumper, and less than 10 minutes later your mainframe’s capacity had doubled.]

It was indeed in jest and it’s a complex topic, as you already said it’s best to stay on topic

Will there be “Qobuz connect” too?
Apologies if that isn’t even a thing; have tried Tidal and qobuz on my Muso 2’s and am erring toward choosing qobuz.
Thanks

No Qobuz connect option yet, but I know they’ve been asked for it! On your Mu-so 2nd Gen,you can, of course, use Qobuz via AirPlay or Chromecast as well as natively within the Naim App, if you want to use the Qobuz App (you’ll only get the full high-res experience via Naim App implementation, but that may be less of a concern via a Mu-so than a larger system)

Thanks Clare.
The naim app works well. Just the volume control on the app a bit fiddly on my iPhone, thats all. But certainly good enough and the sound quality via qobuz is just great.

1 Like

Top tip: In the Naim App, under the Settings menu (cog wheel, top right of screen), there’s a menu called ‘Other Settings’. In there, under ‘Volume Control’, you can choose to use either the Slider or On-screen Buttons. Some people prefer one over the other - worth trying if that helps.

2 Likes

Bumping this one back up - how’s progress, is it still tracking for summertime, is there a beta available to join?

Yes, still on track for summertime. Think our software beta group is pretty full right now - but no harm in emailing beta@naimaudio.com to express your interest.

2 Likes

Same here. Roon SQ lacking on a transparent system.

I am really pleased with the latest Naim app, as a lot of defects have been ironed out.

I expect the Naim digital team are constantly looking at requirements on a MoSCoW basis (Must, Should,Could, Would) ,

Tidal is way down my list, don’t need/want their biased presentation nor MQA as that is a’last decade’ technology for limited bandwidth - 5G and Fibre connectivity is the way forward. Qobuz Hi-def works well for me on FTTC (copper last segment).

Given that a s/h Apple iOS device for WiFi is negligible cost I don’t see the issue. I have used the Naim app and roon on Android as well and I don’t have issues with that.

Naim are supporting 8 devices on the new streaming platform and are constantly adding features, e.g. the recent collation of ‘Hi-Def’ internet radio.

The Gen 1 streamers (Muso, Uniti, 272, ND) work as advertised when sold, and some features have been extended. When we buy a car we don’t expect a global car manufacturer to upgrade it when a new model comes out.

Some of the posters here want their personal wishes accommodated on the legacy products - bear in mind that if you have ONE 2nd gen streamer it can ‘Naim multi-room’ to the Gen 1 streamers - or just get a Sonore UPnP Bridge.

Is there really much point in supporting the Tidal Connect feature on a hardware platform that does not support MQA? This is a genuine question; I’m not trying to troll anyone

1 Like

If you ignore MQA, Tidal still provides a nice CD quality streaming service. Some people prefer the Tidal app e.g. for recommendations and there were user requests for Connect. What would be the point of not supporting it?

2 Likes

I don’t see the volume control option Claire. I have the latest version installed too.

Back one level. so it will be Settings/Volume mode