Tidal Connect

Same!
Twist my arm and I would say the ND5 XS2 seems to sound a shade more bold and gutsy but… :grimacing: :roll_eyes: :blush:

Holy… 30 years. Getting older… Completely changed my life. What a lovely period in time in terms of music. A lot of great classic albums released that same year.

1 Like

I tend to agree, both through headphones & loudspeakers. Might be my imagination…

Hot on the heels of Pearl Jam’s Ten, another favourite. Dunno where the 30 years went.

Hi Claire, I wouldn’t have expected Tidal Connect to have access to system automation volume control, are you saying it does? My guess is that @Chris_g would need to enable digital volume control (or hybrid) to do this, possibly with a loss of sound quality??

1 Like

It would be a nice feature if Naim’s system automation was exposed to 3rd party apps. I expect the constraint that prevents that being the case is more commercial than technical.
Additionally, It does open up the potential for finger pointing and another point of issues/bugs relative to software/firmware releases.
I use volume control in Roon on my Linn DSM in my office and it is handy. I never have a need or use for the Linn remote or apps as a result.

Well I’ve turned IPad on and off deleted and reloaded the Tidal app and still can’t adjust playback volume on NDX2 via Tidal Connect! Looks like I’ll have to get some new batteries for the remote😢

From Darko audio recently:

“ Interestingly, Cambridge Audio, another Tidal Connect hardware partner, will soon remove its bespoke Tidal streaming support from the StreamMagic app to leave Tidal Connect as the only way to stream Tidal content to its streaming-capable devices. It will be interesting to see if Naim follows suit.”

2 Likes

Restarting and reloading apps isn’t going to make any difference. System automation analogue volume control cannot be seen by the digital Tidal app. You can use the preamp remote, or the +/- buttons on the Naim app. A slider control as used on the Tidal app would only be able to work a digital volume control.

Isn’t it mainly down to Naim not making the system automation capability available to 3rd parties, if Naim can do it in their own app that suggests it’s primarily a commercial constraint.
I ordinarily have my amp RCU next to me as it’s the easiest method, if I could control that amp analogue volume in Roon, Tidal or whatever other app sending audio to my NDX 2 I’d have little need for that RCU day to day.

I’m not sure it’s as simple as that. You cannot digitally control an analogue volume pot. with a slider so the Naim app provides the + and - buttons in their app as an alternative. Roon, Tidal Connect etc. would need to implement this in their apps too, exclusively for the few HiFi brands that need it. Evidently they haven’t done so, and for Tidal this would cater for a tiny minority of their users so they probably aren’t bothered.

As I mentioned above, Naim provide a hybrid volume control option in their streamer settings which digitally controls the volume independently of the analogue preamp for streaming services only. I don’t know for sure that this works in Tidal Connect as I use Qobuz, but I’ve suggested it as an alternative.

Well I’m confused! The initial reply from Clare inferred there was a problem at my end and that Volume could be expected to be controlled from Tidal Connect? What are others users experiencing? Having to switch from Tidal Connect to Tidal via the Naim app to adjust volume is a risible state of affairs

Clare can speak for herself, but you will not get SA volume control to work with Tidal Connect for the reason I mentioned above.

1 Like

Let’s hope Naim does not follow - there are countries where native Tidal app is not (yet) available in the Apple and Google stores, would be much less convenient for us vs the current state

2 Likes

Is there any way to disable volume control for Tidal Connect via phone? Sometimes my phone is acting up an I am afraid it might burn the speakers and I prefer to control volume via remote control. I mean the side buttons in I-Phone.

You can set the volume mode to fixed.

Would you mind telling me where I would find the option?

Well, thanks Chris SU for a definitive answer. I shan’t waste anymore forum space trying to fix an unfixable issue. I’ve bought new batteries for remote!

1 Like

Sorry if I gave you false hope; I was in ‘reboot everything’ post-launch mode - it solves so many issues, but it can’t work miracles!

Just go QOBUZ

2 Likes