Tidal Connect

Wow, this really has blown up.

My thoughts are Naim will implement MQA when hell freezes over. And I’m cool with that, I’m not entirely convinced (having done QoBuz Hi-Res vs Tidal CD comparisons) that there is much in it. Too many variables, different masters, different encoding (flac vs MQA). So it’s never apples vs apples. I’ve actually heard some Spotify Connect versions sound better than QoBuz or Tidal, so work that one out!

If you want Hi-Res Qobuz is your solution.

I actually really like the Tidal app, Mac and iOS, so personally, I’m grateful to Naim for implementing Tidal Connect. And I’m more than happy with the CD Quality.

As to music libraries, there will always be a few that are missing here and there. And I can deal with that too. But to be honest, it is not that many. I think we’re all a bit spoilt “I only have 80 million tracks to play with, it’s not good enough” :slight_smile: The obscure stuff has always been obscure stuff. It’s actually easier to find now than before streaming in the 80/90’s, so we shouldn’t complain. There is no perfect streaming service.

I think what we’re all clamouring for now is Qobuz Connect :slight_smile: Sorry, Clare :slight_smile:

1 Like

Well said. I was left cold by MQA but equally, having tried high res, I mostly prefer CD quality via Qobuz or Tidal (the latter filling some gaps) and my FLAC rips. Yes there are gaps in both platforms but I have 400 less gaps than I’ve had since I moved from vinyl 31 years ago.

1 Like

Clare said that this should be addressed to Qobuz because they would have to implement it.
(Though I’m always puzzled by why this is wanted, the Tidal app is good but the Qobuz app not so much)

Innuos Sense in effect has Qobuz Connect and it works wonderfully well so I’m a little confused as to what exactly it is that Naim think Qobuz would have to address. I login once to Qobuz within the Sense app and that’s it. I can create playlists; add albums to my collection; search across my rips, Tidal and Qobuz and search Qobuz from whatever is playing on internet radio and all within the Innuos app.

What am I missing?

I think all of these things already work in the Qobuz app with Naim as well, but it’s using Chromecast for this - just like the Tidal app did before Tidal Connect was available. Maybe it’s the same for Innous?

Nope. No Chromecast for Innuos. Qobuz is fully integrated. Simple as. Login and you’re done. It’s beautiful.

I’ve noticed that on the Tidal app, Connect sometimes takes a while to show up as an option to connect to my Atom. Sometimes nothing appears and the othertimes I get offered ‘Tidal Chromecast’ instead. Usually this resolves itself after a period of time and Connect will appear but if it doesn’t show up straight away, I tend to go through Tidal on the Naim app instead (which kind of defeats the point of Tidal Connect). This doesn’t affect my ND5XS 2 downstairs however (which is closer to my router). Both my Atom and ND5XS 2 are hard wired to a switch and then on to the router so not sure what’s happening here.

I must say one advantage to the Tidal app is the way it presents multi disc sets/box sets. Through the Naim app, all tracks are grouped together which makes it difficult to find where the discs should start and end. If you find the Let It Be box set on Tidal, for example, each disc is separated (‘Volume 1’, ‘Volume 2’, etc) which makes it much easier to navigate.

Hmmm, no idea then

Hi Clare,

Are the Mu-so’s still on track to get Tidal Connect in November 2021?

Thanks for the update.

BR

Richard

Hi Richard.
The firmware update for Mu-so 2nd Generation family that brings TIDAL Connect support (among other things) is in beta test right now.
If things go well, we’re on course for release in November - or early December at very latest. That’s a definitive deadline; you’ll have it by Christmas :slight_smile:

Hi @Olik I had a similar issue and it was my router/extender combo. Are you using a wifi extender upstairs so that when you are using your Atom, your controlling device (iphone, ipad etc) is connected to the wifi extender rather than the downstairs router? My issue was with my router in the end, so I swapped it out.

Hi JamesBKK, I don’t use an extender. I have a wired connection to a switch which is connected to the router. I have no other issues with streaming from my Nas or streaming services in general. Everything streams perfectly, it’s just the Tidal Connect option not appearing on the Tidal app occasionally.

Another issue I have which I think has been mentioned already by other users. Whenever I use the Tidal and Naim apps together, my local files disappear from view in the Naim app. They come back as soon as I close the Tidal app. A bit annoying.

ok - so your controller device that is running Tidal app is connected to your wifi via your single router which is downstairs ? Could just be a signal issue when you are upstairs?

Yes, you’re probably right.

I had this problem and thought that recent upgrades had fixed it but it has returned. Naim suggest that it is a router problem but I can’t confirm that and have no wish to buy a new router. My solution is to delete the app and manage Tidal selections via a laptop.

For the time spent faffing about trying to get the Tidal app to work reliably, I might as well just use the Naim app. It’s a shame because the layout is much better on Tidal but I don’t think it’s worth it if it means having to get a new router or even getting the laptop out.

So now Tidal is offering their Premium service as lossless, but on roon the stream is shown as 44.1k 24bit aac. Can anyone tell me what that is and if Naim streamers are getting a lossless signal thru Tidal Connect?

Is this for every track/album?

So looks like the plan is currently advertised wrong. Maybe Tidal is about to change Premium to lossless but the high setting is not lossless as shown on their site. You can only choose between normal and high setting on their app and within roon.

I have asked Apple for a refund. I will say that Tidal Connect works great on the Naim HE.