Tidal Connect

I’m pretty sure Tidal Premium has always been up to 320k lossy so that looks a bit odd.
I’m also pretty sure you are being screwed by Apple, who charge you extra for a Tidal sub and pocket the difference. Cancel it and sign up direct with Tidal and you should get it for the standard price of $9.99 a month.

Well there are 2 issues here. One is Tidal is charging $3 more for Premium thru the Apple store. And 2, it’s either mislabeled as lossless or they jumped the gun and Tidal is about to drop their lossy aac tier and just make Premium the standard cd tier. I’m assuming it’s the 2nd, since this doesn’t like look like a simple typo but intentional new tier structure.

The fact is Tidal has loads of albums in aac. Sometimes even 96kbit. I use naim app and it too often shows aac. I decided to pause the tidal and stay with Spotify until I find a way to bypass the Qobuz restrictions.

Well Spotify now has 2 months to keep its promise of lossless audio, so don’t have long to wait. I really hope they don’t screw this up and not be able to deliver lossless right away with Spotify Connect. Apple Music’s solution of needing a wired connect to get lossless isn’t practical with Naim streamers. And Qobuz with roon works great but they still haven’t filled in a lot of gaps in their library.

2 Likes

Premium is aac. You getting premium in that sub . Roon changed how it decodes lossy files years ago to 44.1/24 regardless of source. Lossy files don’t have an inherent bitdepth due to how they are encoded so can be decoded to what you choose. Roon decided 44.1/24 was optimal and it did sound better than when they used to be 44 1/16 previously. Did you set your subscription model in Roons Tidal settings.

What country are you in as they added a sub in Australia only without MQA but nowhere else adn on my app I get premium or hifi subs only.

I subscribed to Hi-Fi, however, I see lots of aac, i.e. look at this track on TIDAL: “Going Home” by Joanne Shaw Taylor
44.1 khz 96 kb/s

Look at what is in the Apple app in the US. It’s pretty clear this is intentional. These were the only 2 options. I just think someone jumped the gun on putting it in the app.

How strange.

My guess is going to adjust pricing structure and drop lossy tier once Spotify Hifi drops hopefully any day now.

It’s not Tidal, it’s Apple applying a surcharge to line their own pockets. Neither you nor Tidal get any benefit from this.

No that’s Tidal passing on the charge to its customers for the 30% Apple is charging them to sell in App Store. Not all developers do that. And some just avoid whole thing and can only subscribe outside the App Store.

Potato, patato.

This sort of misses the pint of my post but I’m guess I’m did bring up the cost too.

But what going on with the lossless Premium tier? Why is it shown that way within the Apple app and not anywhere else? Currently, Premium still only offers lossy aac.

I submitted question and they just sent info on the tiers listed on the web with Premium being lossy and received an app update today and they changed info there as well.

Looks like I was right. Didn’t expect a free tier but the $9.99 now included lossless. Even though Apple refunded my money the account wasn’t closed so testing now thru room and it is indeed lossless.

Dedicated thread here:

Just resurrecting this - how is this progressing? My discounted Tidal subscription expires mid-December, would like to check Tidal Connect on my Mu-so Qb 2 before deciding how to proceed…

It’s in late beta-test stage now, which typically means it’ll be another 2-3 weeks. First week in December, I predict (but don’t hold me to it!)

1 Like

Hi Clare,

Any updates here?

It’ll be this week - we’ll let everyone know when!

1 Like