Tidal drop outs with

The lack of response from Naim on this thread is worrying it suggests no fix soon.

Okay this seems to be down to Tidal changing protocols etc. but this shows major vulnerabilities of any streaming device old, current or future.

2 Likes

Same problem in Poland - Tidal streaming works on UnityLite with setting High (AAC) but drops out constantly in Hi-Fi (Flac). Having High instead of Hi-Fi is not a solution for obvious reasons. And I am pretty sure this is NOT a network issue. Naim, please get the thing sorted out.

I listened to TIDAL on my ND555 yesterday for about 6 hours–controlled via the Naim App. No dropouts during this time. However, a week ago, I had TIDAL on my Qb down in the Shop, and it did drop out once for me. At the time, I just blamed it on my wifi, maybe not so much. ND555 is hardwired, Qb only on wireless. Hope this helps diagnose the issues that others are having. Naim and TIDAL, keep up the faith.

Bailyhill

I think they’re champing at the bit to implement a solution. I think Naim (and any other affected manufacturer implementing Tidal on their products) are as frustrated as anyone and keen to get this sorted.

At least a month has passed now!!! And Naim doesn’t know what caused the problem!!! How long will it take to resolve it!!! You must understand that Naim customers are frustrated. Why, the lack of information? If Naim had given us proper information from the beginning, we hadn’t been so annoyed.

Richard, I don’t think it’s fair of you to change your posts afterwards. You have removed one sentence!

Sorry Nisse. I felt it wise to make an edit to my post. However the gist is the same - I’m told that Tidal are looking into it and once the cause is known then either it will be sorted out or else Naim (and others) will then be able to apply any necessary change at their end.

1 Like

Well its making me think about dropping tidal and switching over to qobuz, but i like the easy way of getting tidal on my naim streamer and i dont want to have laptop running etc
So please get it sorted asap and i would hope tidal will be reimbursing for the loss

…for those who think this is a problem associated with naim only, please do an internet search on ‘tidal world wide problems with connectivity’ and you will find a lot of threads discussing the problem with connectivity. So the problem appears to be with TIDAL and is impacting many vendors and uses worldwide. You can jump to another product but you just might find the problem over there.

FWIW, I have continued to have steady streaming using TIDAL with the NAIM App and through the app on my MAC AIR. On both I have only had a couple of disruptions on single tracks and usually skipping the track the album plays through to the finish.

I am using an NDX (ethernet connected) and TIDAL HiFi subscription.

2 Likes

My guess would be Tidal have a few unpaid bills …

Well tonight i re opened my spotify account and been trying them both against each other.
Yes tidal sounds better, but not on all tracks and a blind test could easy result in some strange results. But the funny thing is since i added spotify back onto my NDS it hasnt dropped out since and its been going for quite a while now, probably just luck but i have my fingers crossed lol

Take that back, it just dropped out errrrrr
Think i will use spotify for now and sit back and enjoy the non stop music, rather than listen out and waiting for it to stop

Read a forum that Tidal’s not using AWS anymore but Akamai for their Cloud services. (Is that true Tidal?)
:thinking:

Also that recent change of format for the lower res Tidal streaming. Could they have used that chance to migrate their files that’s causing all these problems.

But with all that reading online I’m sure it’s not just naim streamers.It’s not about
“I paid a good sum of money for a naim, so naim should solve world hunger” kind of situation. I believe the guys at naim are trying their best to solve the issue with Tidal.

Can’t wait to have smoother playing for everyone soon and of course on my ND5XS :smile: (Didn’t have issues streaming with my ISP previously, but it’s acting up. So I can say it’s probably not caused by the other ISP)

1 Like

In response to Tidal and Naim support pointing me to the 4.7.1 firmware, I updated last night and touch wood since then there hasn’t been an issue. It got through the whole of the new Fat Cops album without issue (recommended btw) and for the last 20+ minutes I’ve left it playing a Tidal playlist that it couldn’t manage on Saturday morning but is now ok with.

The f/w prompted the 272 to reboot a few times and ends with a full factory reset, which is a nuisance losing all my radio presets and input configurations. Radio 4 dropped out a couple of times earlier on but a full network recycle in the correct order seems to have resolved that.

I’m still expecting it to fail, and a quiet Wednesday morning isn’t the same test that it’ll be tonight when the country finishes school & work and swamps the internet with Youtube & iPlayer streams. Fingers crossed tho.

Good info. and, if true, could certainly explain the issues being seen. Don’t quote me on this but I’d think AWS would have better distribution and connectivity than Akamai. Wikipedia seems to infer that AWS has a larger market share… not to say Akamai are small. However I can perfectly understand teething issues with a change over like this.

Is there a 4.7.1? It’s not on the Naim site and 4.7 was released a few weeks back and didn’t fix the issue on the older streamers.

I believe the 4.7.1 and 4.7.0 is the same, just that it is an APAC and Europe version of F/W respectively. As I had this issue once where the .0 was installed and I can’t seem to load the chinese characters on the Naim.

Ho hum. The playlist was fine for over an hour then dropped off. Radio 2 then. At least it works.

No. I had that in my head from somewhere and it stuck. It’s described as 4.7.00 in the app settings.

When I was looking at this a couple of years ago, Tidal was at least using Akamai for their server platforms then. Can’t remember them using AWS or Azure for media spooling… but that’s not to say they are not as well… perhaps in a balanced multi vendor setup for media spooling… which is how I would consider doing it.

Also as far as I am aware there is no change in format in lossy streaming… it’s still AAC, but it would appear Tidal are now aligning with the industry/standardised way of streaming it within a MP4 container… the media format, meta data encoding etc are identical… it’s just wearing a different coat.

FWIW still not experienced one single Tidal dropout or glitch in the last 2 months since I have owned myNDX2