Tidal Flac Hi-Res

Jplay isn’t cheap though, with an annual subscription ($49,99 annually).

There’s the free version. I will try later and share.

Two week trial only though.

Are you sure, because it’s not what I have read on the review yesterday, in the Audiophile magazine ( France ).

Try it. I downloaded it from the Apple Store ( it said free with in app purchases) and I couldn’t get past the sign up for subscription page. Free for 14 days. My subscription would start 1st May.

I have not the same here in France. Downloaded it and played some tracks, stored on my Melco.
The sound is different, but I won’t continue. Lots of bugs, freezing.

Maybe for Tidal and Qobuz it’s different ?

It appears like that for you?

I didn’t subscribe so I haven’t been able to use it. I can’t be bothered to sign up then have to cancel. And I’m m not paying £50 a year for it!

1 Like

There are some issues with mconnect streaming hires audio to Naim systems. There’s another discussion on the forum about this.

But Roon it’s 500 per year….

1 Like

Roon was having an issue with hires when Tidal introduced the single tier. Anyone that was previously on the lower tier couldn’t get hires. That’s been fixed now. So roon is a pricy option to get Tix Max on Naim, while you wait for actual fix. Rumors seem to suggest Naim will roll out their update about around June.

Are Roon and JPlay comparable in features and performance?

I’ve only played with JPLAY for a short while and feel its performance is somewhat clunky compared to roon. Seems they tried to copy roon’s look and feel. I’ve been roon lifetime member for years, so I have no reason to leave but like to see what else is out there. And seems this year Roon has accelerated their upgrades since Harman bought them out. Just added folder browsing.

Roon is $149.88 annually. Or lifetime $829.99.

Ah ok, sorry for that information error.

But still more than JPlay, assuming they are performance and feature comparable. However, having tried neither I couldn’t say if that is so.

It’s the same thing as Mconnect, giving you the possibility to stream Qobuz, Tidal and local network through a same app. The reviews say the sound quality is better vs most apps.
You can stream Tidal Hires max.

Why not try and cancel directly, you would have 14 days free and then it will stop?

But if just a controller, how can it affect the sound quality? Or does it do something else? With mconnectLite I’m pretty sure it’s just a controller, but can’t say for sure.

Reading the JPlay manual it’s clear it’s much more than a controller. That might justify its pricing.

You can read the reviews. It’s too difficult for me to give you technical explanations. Sorry. But you have nothing to loose.
As I wrote before, the French reviewer , Joel Chevassus, made a long review on Audiophile magazine France. He used 3 different streamers and compared the sound with the Mconnect app, Lumin and Roon.
Found the Jplay as the best sounding.

I compared Mconnect to the Naim app, for my local files. I assure you they don’t sound the same. It’s very obvious.

JPLAY does sound different but that worries me. Roon, Tidal Connect and Naim native app for cd quality all sound pretty similar. But for one song with JPLAY it sounded different and not necessarily better so to me I think something’s off with it. But I didn’t use for too long. Thought it was kind of weird how it queues up the songs. Like there is some kind of workaround going on by the scenes. Truthfully I’d probably just wait for Tidal Connect to get updated but doesn’t hurt to do test trials of JPLAY or roon. In some way Tidal’s app is better than roon using an iPhone.

1 Like

My Auralic Aries G2.2 has no issues outputting HiRes from Tidal. My Chord Mscaler shows the format it’s getting.

1 Like