Tidal HiFi vs Tidal HiFi Plus

It seems to be a “common understanding” on this forum that Gen1 streamers do not support HiRes streaming higher than 16/44. So what makes different @Kurt 's solution via vTuner that effectively allows seamless, uninterrupted streams of up to 24/192 via FLAC? I do use that on my 272 with absolutely no issue whatsoever.

My understanding is that 1st gen streamers do support hi res streaming but due to the small buffer size only really designed for streaming local files so no native support for Qobuz hi res or Internet radio that’s present on 2nd gen streamers. So using a proxy like BubbleUpnp server for example it effectively turns hi res streams from the Internet into local streams

One can use Audirvana software to make 1st gen streamers being able to play hi res files. I run Qobuz + Audirvana on to my NDS and it sounds amazing. Audirvana is 6-7 EUR per month and then you need a host for Audirvana like an old mac mini and an ethernet cable. Done. To my ears Audirvana sounds better than Roon and Native naim implementation.

NDS + Qobuz + Audirvana

Does Audirvana provide any benefits over what BubbleUpnp server does?

Much better UI, great forum and support, awesome sound quality, app for iPhone which works great on my Macbook air M1 and so on. Well worth the money. I couldn’t even find the bubble blip blop software to be honest. I’m lazy and happy to pay some EUR for companies that care. I also know Audirvana core values are audio quality which they never compromise on and you can tell IMO. Try it out, they offer a free 2 weeks trial.

I no longer have a 1st gen streamer so I haven’t used Kurt’s solution. Perhaps he’s the best person to ask, but I assume he’s using some sort of proxy server. I can’t imagine that his solution would work for Tidal and Qobuz too, but as discussed extensively elsewhere, you can run your own proxy server easily enough. Without that you are going to run into latency problems with 24 bit internet streams.

Hi,

Yes the concept is based on a proxy server that does the translation form whatever Hi-res stream to WAV.

About latency: I run an instance in Frankfurt and one in Phoenix. I’m based in Belgium and I use the Frankfurt instance. Here, I’ve no issues with latency with, for example, Mother Earth Radio, broadcasting at 192 kHz/24 bit. I receive it without interruption.

Having worked on this since +2y, I learned lateceny is a real pain in the… What works fine for me, may not work for someone else 10km away from me, who’s using another internet provider.

In my case for example, following the route: Naim > proxy at home > internet provider > Mother Earth (in Germany), is slower than Naim > internet provider > proxy in Frankfurt > Mother Earth.
So, it had nothing to do with the smaller buffer size of Gen1 devices. After analysing, it turned out that the network link from my ISP to the ISP that’s hosting Mother Earth Radio, is just not fast enough.

1 Like

To asc again… I have Atom and Tidal HiFi, do I need HiFi Plus? When will be realise HiRes flac?

I saw that today the Hi-Res format arrived on the Tidal application and they indicate it as MAX. Is the new format compatible with the second generation Mu-so and Unit Atom? Is it necessary to wait for Naim to make an update?

I would expect so, yes. Try it and see.

Seems like Tidal haven’t presented the API to other companies in order to implement this yet. This from Audirvāna.

“At the time we speak, Tidal didn’t gave us the information of the MAX setting in there API. I will ask them when they have an ETA for it since now it’s live on their app.

Note that MQA is still available, it’s just they pull the FLAC version first on their app now instead of the MQA one.”

$12.99cdn vs Tidal’s $19.99cdn
I switched to Qobuz from Tidal when Qobuz became available in Canada.

I have Apple Music as well for mobile, general household and my family.

I won’t be going back to Tidal.

From my side after experimentation it is Tidal plus which would be the best choice.
I tried Qobuz a few months ago. Qobuz’s Hires sound was interesting but I preferred Tidal’s sound after A-B testing. Qobuz was less dense at my level.
Now Tidal is streaming Hires that’s more detailed and open. The quality is really there!
good reflection!

Tidal max I suppose is the new name instead of hifi, however the only way as I understand it to maybe get 24 bit files into a naim streamer would be chromecast currently at least.

On the tidal.com they refer to max and hifi so this is most likely what they will call it. The important thing is you cannot d currently get 24 bit flac files into a naim streamer by conventional means that is through the Naim app or through the Tidal app since connect and chromecast does not support 24 bit flac.

As does Innuos Sense.

I suddenly remembered a post by Steve Harris regarding streaming hi res Qobuz via the Chromecast implementation. I would assume that the same limitations would be there if the source came from Tidal:

Best results will have to wait for native or Tidal Connect integration.

I’m listening to Qobuz Chromecast through a primare streamer/ndac, it sounds superb.

Maybe the primare has a large buffer or is optimised to handle Chromecast.
Or maybe it’s because I usually stream cd quality or 24/96 max.

Yeah from how I read that message it should be a less of an issue with lower resolution streams.

Disclaimer: I myself do not use my Chromecast to stream so cannot say much out of own experience. But remembered that post.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.