Tidal Max not working

Well, here’s Godot with the laughs:

1 Like

Naim told me in November that they had the software from Tidal, and were writing & testing the code

If it is so trivial to release an update that support higher streaming quality on products made for high end streaming there is a major fault in someone’s platform plans making it possible to scale and scale fast. My vote goes to streaming unlimited.

The other thing is that Naim is probably trying to release at the same time an update for all their supported products, not just the latest ones. That’s at least five groups of products.

Lindemann which also use Streaming Unlimited as their streaming platform manufacturer replied this today. So they are also still working on it. There is a layer of code that needs to be adapted to the SDK Streaming unlimited release which I guess Naim as well as Lindemann is working on now.

The release at SUE has nothing to do with our special branch stack. There is still some work needed to adapt it to the SDK. So you will have to be patient!
Kind Regards
Your Lindemann Team

Has there not been any statements about this from Naim? Would be a bit of\dd given they are marketing hi-res streaming products with Tidal as a feature.

1 Like

I want a streamer that uses the highest res options from Tidal now. What is it?

It’s works flawlessly, I highly also recommend it , it’s only 6 euros to buy the version without the adverts, plays all the high resolution flac files and the MQA files :+1:

1 Like

Well technically Naim streamers can stream Tidal hires using roon. And if rumors are correct, Naim will have Tidal Max added by June. So seems silly to not buy Naim for what won’t make any difference even in the short run. We know Naim’s current platform is capable of Tidal Max, so don’t think we need to worry other than Naim not speaking up. Seems strange because probably losing some customers over this.

4 Likes

I saw a comment on a Facebook Naim advert about Tidal Max update coming in June, which I guess could be as soon as this coming Saturday. But still nothing official?

What’s the source of the information? Random I know everything dude or naim?

Can’t find it now but it mentioned testing and certification so had a ring of authenticity to it. But not from Naim itself, alas.

1 Like

Apologies for replying to a really old post, but I have seen pieces of software that are able to differentiate between MQA and lossless hi-res and prioritise track selection accordingly. Behind the scenes, Tidal is serving one of 5 quality options: low_96k (AAC), low_320k (AAC), high_lossless (CD quality FLAC), hi_res (MQA FLAC), hi_res_lossless (hi-res FLAC). In some(?) cases the FLAC file is served in a M4A container.

Similarly how the Naim streamers never served the MQA option (even for people who had the old master quality subscription tier), the streamer should be able to skip MQA today and choose the best corresponding lossless option.

Yes I had a dig into the API back when I wrote that post.

HIRES_LOSSLESS is what we want :smiling_face:

Kinda lost interest in naim updating firmware, perfectly good apps filling the gap (and will, long term, allow legacy devices like our SuperUniti to receive hires Tidal).

1 Like

Tidal Max works fine on my Auralic Aries G2.2 … Also love the new pricing!

1 Like

I finally switched back to Qobuz. Not because Naim still doesn’t have the Max update, but because Tidal still hadn’t removed the hundreds of 44/16 MQA files yet. And then even ran across a 96/24 MQA. Qobuz has a cleaner library at the moment. They also have more of 192/24 files than Tidal. I was using roon, so I had the Max setting since the start of the year.

Yes, there are still a lot of 16/44 MQA tracks on Tidal, but the vast majority of Hi-Res tracks are now FLAC and not MQA, but as you have found still the odd few Hi-Res in MQA.
Interesting that you have found Qobuz has more Hi-Res tracks than Tidal, is this in general, or for specific genre’s of music that you prefer?
Not that I will be changing from Tidal as I enjoy watching the music video’s and concerts that Tidal also stream far too much to change and I’m happy with the content that Tidal has, both CD and Hi-Res quality, plus my streamer processes MQA so no problem.

Video!!! Ive not really had a look at the videos on Tidal until now. Its a bit like DIY MTV :slight_smile:

Do you stream the video to your TV and audio to an amp?

Yes, I stream the Tidal video on the 4K Smart TV, fhen I have optical digital out to my streamer/dac for stereo and HDMI ARC to my AV Amp for ATMOS/5.1 surround sound as Tidal also streams ATMOS.

2 Likes

Prefer Tidal as well. The fact that after so long Qobuz does not bother to sort search results properly is already enough of a reason for me.

1 Like