Tidal Max not working

Or through Roon which already has both Tidal HiRes, Tidal Master with MQA encoding and Qobuz support.
But wait the Naim implementation of RAAT and ‘RoonReady” in the latest streaming productsI understand is inferior to a UPnP based stream! :laughing:

Maybe the yacht owners prioritised yacht software.

1 Like

Qobuz is now off the table for me, given that all their streaming content is subject to pre-processing and effectively interfered with.
At least with Tidal Master, the HiRes content was being encoded into a standard and stated as such. With Qobuz there is no idea what level of pre-processing is being undertaken on the files before being made available for streaming. Are they applying compression as well?

1 Like

Have you listened to there product or is all your information from reading articles?

Read less and listen more to your system, in your room, with your ears. Only way to know for sure what works for you…

2 Likes

I found Quboz from the app to be worse than Tidal, not better. From the Naim app it was not that bad but I did not find all the improvements some seem to find with qobuz. The hope that 24 bit albums will get you into audioheaven is overrated.
Claus

1 Like

Do you have any proof of this pre volume normalization? At one point Qobuz didn’t even offer this information. In roon, you have the option to turn it off or on… This is the same as what Tidal offers. However, the two services have different volume normalization levels, so with it on, the same song will sound different. I have not read anything about Qobuz forcing this on people. It’s just meta info that can be used to adjust. If I’m wrong, please offer a link showing otherwise.

Also Tidal is currently misleading people by saying they replace all their MQA. They have shut it off in their own app but thru roon, many of these tracks are still actually MQA. I have cancelled my subscription to Tidal because of this.

As far as the sound quality between Qobuz and Tidal, it’s essentially the same when playing the same master and resolution.

Even before, some “non-MQA” FLACs were actually MQA files, just played without unfolding.

I;d like to see independent, verifiable evidence of that.

The MD of Qobuz has this to say;

" I know Qobuz does nothing. No loudness normalisation, nothing."

1 Like

See, this is what I thought. I think the confusing part was at one point is Qobuz didn’t even supply the volume normalization data to use in roon. Now that info is available but it’s not turned on by default. And I never use it but it probably good if listening to playlists to keep the volume in check.

Anyone heard anything further on this TM update? I sent Naim an email but no reply so far. I guess the BBC radio issue (that Naim is communicating about on its social media channels) hasn’t helped.

Is Tidal Max meant to be working yet - I thought it was still in Naim Beta?

ATB, J

No, there’s no new information from Naim.
We will have to wait, until they have something to announce.

Almost a year now since Lumin launched Tidal Max support on their streamers…

6 Likes

and that was only one point for me, getting rid of my NDX-2 and buying a Lumin P1.

As far as i can tell by now, a fine piece of equipment, missing nothing.

3 Likes

Let’s be perfectly honest. The situation is absolutely ridiculous. Naim came off as complete amateurs. I’m insanely disappointed.

4 Likes

@ Richard.Dane
What is Naim Audio’s position regarding this delay in updating its products?

1 Like

A few months ago Naim said when they know the launch date they will share it. I doubt any interim statement will be made myself.

It’s not just a delay in getting Tidal Max, it’s a lack of faith that any other future updates will get released in a timely manner. Let’s say Spotify finally releases lossless after more than 3 years, are we going to have to wait an additional year for Naim to update Spotify Connect? Might cause people to skip Naim and go with other manufacturers. I got tired of waiting for the Tidal Max update, so I’m back with Qobuz and roon.

2 Likes

Plex announced today that Tidal are no longer integrated with them from end of October. A post by an employee stated they where under the impression Tidal where pulling 3rd party integrations. Looks like Connect might be the only way to use it before long. They may or may not be pulling a Spotify.

Even harder to understand where Naim promotes Tidal with the 3 month free deal on Naim streamers. The only reason I have a Tidal account is Naim. And I upgraded to Tidal Max on the basis that my new Naim streamer would swiftly provide that. Alas not.