Tidal vs CD

Thanks Simon, I wouldn’t have thought it was particularly good commercial sense to be developing the new streaming platforms with no effective native hi res source, unless of course you piggy back Roon for Qobuz . Also Naim producing a server, the Core, that can’t function as a Roon server doesn’t help.
Naim are losing out to competitors because of this with the likes of Moon being viewed as a more flexible solution. Not necessarily my view but I hear this view expressed elsewhere.

If you get the chance to do the comparison I would be very interested. There was speculation about whether having the MQA data embedded in the same file would degrade the standard def experience. I appreciate this wouldn’t be a direct comparison, but some empirical experience however imperfect would be a start.

Yes, I’ll probably have to do a comparison sooner rather than later if I’m going to drop Tidal. :hushed:

Just a quick comparison - all I have time for at the moment.

Through the Naim App playing “Alison Moyet - All Cried Out” the MQA version is a bit softer, less dynamic and a touch quieter, not terrible but once you’ve heard the standard version it’s noticeable. The MQA version had a slightly higher bit rate displayed, just a few Kb/s more.

Through Bubble I compared “Madeleine Peyroux - Down On Me” and found both Tidal and Qobuz sound the same. These were both transcoded to WAV by Bubble so I can’t comment on the bit rate.

Your streamer should tell you the bit rate of WAV media on the display on the streamer.

The streamer is not in my listening room so I just went off the Bubble App which said WAV 16/44.1
I assume the ND5XS would have also displayed 44.1. I could have turned off transcoding ( to show the FLAC bitrate) but I was time limited; and the person asking never replied anyway.
:hushed:

So WAV (typically LPCM) shows 16 bit at 44.1kHz and presumably stereo is 16x2x44,100 = 1,411,200 bps approx 1.4 Mbps

What is streaming format from Deezer? I cant find metadata. Flac, mp3 or what?

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.