Tidal vs Qobuz

Listening to the 24 bit Qobuz stream of William Bell’s ‘This Is Where I Live’. Absolutely no need to listen to my 16bit rip, the Qobuz stream is way better!

The gaps in the Qobuz catalogue is more noticeable on less well known artists as you might expect, but although Qobuz cover the majority of Van Morrison’s output, there are a couple of my favourite albums from the Man that are missing. That is a little concerning but so far the Qobuz library seems quite comprehensive for the genres I like, even though it is a little inferior to Tidal’s. At the moment the Qobuz catalogue is not a show-stopper for me at present, with the rather meaty selection of stuff in 24 bit tipping the balance for me. Mr Bell is sounding wonderful!

The trial continues.

1 Like

Those naughty boys in Felixstowe that sold that ND555 have a preloved 500 dr on their website…
Just saying.

If I ever go for a 500DR, then the speakers would need to change to get the best out of a 552/500 combo. Yes, at that point it would be the end of the line for my beloved Monitor Audio GX300s.

1 Like

La, La, La, La. Fingers in my ears. Can’t hear you Gazza.

1 Like

Me too. And even if I had the cash, they don’t send to France :fr:.

Oh yes they do…la la la…they ship pretty much anywhere…and have installed hifi in Scotland and Ireland.

I once contacted 2 uk well known shops: Tom Tom audio and 2dehandhifi. They said they can’t ship to France.

I know they shipped a cd555 to Japan last year.

You are a bad man Gazza, very bad!

2 Likes

Glad to hear you are enjoying the Qobuz trial, I’m also enjoying a Tidal trial!

It’s expensive having many subscriptions but I find gaps in Qobuz that Tidal fills and vice versa, and some things on Apple Music that are in neither - come on Apple move on from lossy AAC !

One thing I have noticed is that I can find certain titles on the Qobuz site that don’t always appear in the Naim app which is a little odd, maybe it’s me!

Perhaps the policy changed. Good news . I will check when funds will permit.
The shop is Felixstove?

Puts the value of DR at £4K based on mine serviced just slightly before theirs. Will cost me a bit more than £4k in 12 years for combined service and DR. I can’t fault mine.

Phil

Perhaps you should come to visit the UK and take an item home with you! :grinning:

Depends where you are I suppose but over the years I’ve travelled hundreds of miles to pick up items I want (Pink Triangle Anniversary - sadly in need of repair) or to take them for servicing.

1 Like

500’s all round chaps, it has to be done :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

And you can cut it out too, Mike. I still value my marriage!

2 Likes

I know…i am trying to take you all down with me!

2 Likes

Between Ipswich and Felixstowe…any further and you are in the North sea.

1 Like

There’s been a flurry of used 500 series kit available in NZ, still unaffordable for me mind you. But there are good 552/500’s going for the price of new 252/SC/300’s…

My concern is that I have a Nova, like you did…

Its a great bit of kit Mike…just enjoy, i retired with a nice pension etc. If i ever downsize the house…something like the Nova or Supernait, is still very special. I listened at Audio show east a couple of years ago to SN2/NDX2/ Kanta 2 or 3 with standard cables…best room, beat the active Naim/Kudos for pure musical enjoyment for me.

1 Like