Tidal vs Qobuz

Didn’t you used to have a Sublime+ account for Qobuz ?

No have Sublime Hifi…, so would need to change then…

One of the oddities of Qobuz is it sometimes fails to identify an artist. For example @ewemon posted Albert Cummings blues artist…nothing, just blank screen. Post Albert Cummings “Believe” album…artist appears and there is 8 albums. Not the first time this has happened.

Maybe differnet categories in youe country?

If I’m not mistaken and you have a monthly plan, then given the significant reductions on hi-res purchases you’d probably recoup an annual subscription in a few days if it’s like the UK offering!

For example:

Have you compared Qobuz to Tidal for the same recording?

I have, and IMV, Tidal lags behind Qobuz on SQ on 16 bit material, but has a slightly better library.

Qobuz’s 24 bit streams moves things even further ahead in the SQ stakes. I can’t sample MQA from Tidal as I don’t have the necessary hardware.

1 Like

I agree, I was using Beats Music before Apple bought them. I really loved the curated playlists that guided me into music styles I knew nothing about.

And I have continued with Apple Music which also seem to have a very extended catalogue. I use Apple Music mostly for discovery.

But in general, after 25 years of distributing music over the internet I find the current state of the industry disappointing. It should be automated to buy an album, you should get decent meta-data and so on. Instead we have streaming services that rents music with lacklustre library support and spotty quality.

1 Like

Thanks similar for me, will have a look…, after checking a bit the catalogue…

Tidal is much better in New Zealand. Mainly because Qobuz isn’t available…, :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

I find more easily some albums on Qobuz by google search.

I know it gets rather intoxicating doesn’t it :grinning:

1 Like

to be fair I have found the Qobuz search on Naim not always accurate. I use the Qobuz app or Roon - the latter seems to often find everything on Qobuz that otherwise seems hidden…

1 Like

I’ve noticed this too, on both Tidal and Qobuz in the Naim app. Even on their own iOS apps I’ve found material that’s in their library which doesn’t come up in a search.

2 Likes

I have noticed that you have to be very precise when you type in a search for Qobuz. One letter wrong and Qobuz will not even offer a guess. Tidal used to be like that but it seems their search algorithm has become a little more ‘fat-fingered’ friendly.

On a couple of searches in Qobuz, I almost gave up and assumed the album was not in their catalogue. On these occasions, the search would show up in ‘All’ and ‘Tidal’, but not in Qobuz. Then I noticed a typo in my search, corrected it, and up it popped in Qobuz.

Having said this, Qobuz’s catalogue is not quite as extensive as Tidal’s. Qobuz will usually have the artist but lack one or two albums from that artist that are in Tidal. For unknown artists, Qobuz will usually show the artist but with no albums.

Using the BluOS app if searching for Level 42 and I type Levl 42 the artist still appears in the search, I guess Naim still have some work to do or brush up on your spellings :slight_smile:

Also searching for Jamiroquai if I type jam in the search field I’m presented with the below, does the Naim app support this type of search using Qobuz?

@HiFiman

Even works using Material Skin with LMS.

İt will be interesting to compare a qobuz download to qobuz stream… same album

I have with the new Beth Hart album ,bought the download a couple of weeks before Beta testing on Qobuz started. So i would presume they are identical…and to my cloth ears, they sound the same streamed from my Core or over the internet.

2 Likes

Gazza, are your local Qobuz download and external Qobuz streams of the new Beth Hart album both in 24 bit?

This album, certainly the first few tracks, is very demanding, with music and vocals reaching crescendos that would stretch any system. May be the extra resolution on offer from 24 bit pushes things even further and is a more severe test for our systems, and how they are set up.