Time For Naim To Take Home Networking Seriously?

@frenchrooster, by now, should be able to train all those dealers in France, and point them to the right direction?

1 Like

Hahaha, i am one of those that is not very friendly with the pc world. I would be a very bad trainer.

Not me sadly, an ethernet wired connection is just not possible.
Nobody acknowleges that reality it seems😭.
So its either wifi or ethernet over mains for me.

Wbc,

You’ve just thrown this whole thread up in the air !!

@frenchrooster next time I’m in France I’ll come look you up. The best French Naim trainer

2 Likes

I discovered over this past weekend that a $60 Raspberry pi 4 can stream better over my home Wifi network than a Muso-2. The pi has been up and running now for 3 days on my home network. That’s 2 days longer than the Muso-2 ever stayed connected. See my post here.

2 Likes

Thanks to point it. At already 3 years old, I was creating new programs for Apple. At 5 , I was teaching at NASA, and managing the engineering staff.
I am the God of audio streaming today.

6 Likes

What’s your new dac?

An RME-ADI-2, it’s fantastic.

1 Like

Would you have a look at my post and advise. After three routers, two broadband suppliers, I’m still suffering from periodic rapid on-of, on-off playback.

Thanks.

The recommendation will always be to use a wired network. If that is not practical, then you need to look at the WiFi network, moving the WiFi router closer to the ndx may resolve your issue. Remember WiFi is a 2 way connection, an apparently strong signal in a room does not indicate that a component is able to respond back to the WiFi access point successfully.

The title does say networking. I think that includes wifi!
Personally I am keen to see more on wireless network optimisation as wired is not an option for me (and others I think ).

1 Like

Feel free to start a New Topic then….

2 Likes

Much of the WiFi optimisation technology is based in the AP rather then the client. Fast and assisted roaming, meshing, throughput, beam shaping, channel selection, band steering etc. Clients generally just support a standard and connect to what is broadcast.

Occasionally chip sets clash and cause issues but 9 times out of 10 WiFi issues are down to the network design, config or AP equipment used and not the client devices. I do understand the desire for WiFi optimisation but its unlikely to come from a client device provider.

I use Zyxel Nebula based APs, 4 big ones all set on low power and connected by direct cables to a good switch, no meshing. My network DHCP reservations and internal LANs are well organised. I never have WiFi issues and use a ND555, 2 Novas, an Atom and even a couple of Gen1 Muso QBs. I also have a lot of other and varied equipment around the place. Many people report issues with the early QB in particular, I suspect in a lot of cases its not the Muso at fault.

There are several contributors to this forum with a lot of networking experience, an optimisation thread focused on how to choose and more importantly get the best from WiFi equipment may be beneficial to others, what are your thoughts?

1 Like

@Pipdan

I’ll speak for the Muso-2 which I purchased in July 2019. It never stayed connected for more than 1 day to my Wifi network. I have close to a dozen devices on my home Wifi network. The Muso is the only one that has issues. I eventually went wired. I just added a $60 Raspberry pi 4 to my wifi network and it’s been connected for 8 days straight with not a single issue. I think it is the Muso’s fault in most cases.

2 Likes

I wouldn’t disagree. I thought from its title ( the relevant word being networking) that this thread included wifi. Btw, you used quite a lot of vocabulary that meant nothing to me. That’s not meant as being critical, just a reflection of the fact that for none of my other consumer products that connect to the internet by wifi do I need to be the slightest bit technical. It appears that for Naim products we do, unless we are fortunate.
Which refers directly to the question raised by the op, at least I thought it did.
As it happens I now have a composite mesh wifi with final stage wired ( from a mesh node) set up which seems to be working fine, and has even made the android app reconnect more easily every time it (still, after nearly 6? years development) drops the connection. Also relevant to home networking I think.

Correct, networking includes wlan and lan via Ethernet. Both can be effective and both offer certain advantages over each other and each has their own potential SQ advantage.
I think many people suffer from bad wlan experiences because of limited or poor capability wifi setups, and the first gen streamers did only support limited wlan capability which is why we used to say best focus on Ethernet … absolutely no need to be the case now.
Both wifi and Ethernet are both potentially good options. Naim took networking seriously with the new gen streamers and improved wifi and Ethernet.

Yes, I think it’s just a shame that the first gen didn’t so much, and the android app development process has been appalling. The reviews of the app on the google app store are not good pr for Naim, and until a few months ago imo were wholly justified.

You’re absolutely right and as Simon agrees as well, WiFi and Ethernet cable are both equally networking. What differs is our experiences using Naim products with WiFi connections, they seem almost polar opposite.

Where you are able to use a cable this is advised, I would never recommend WiFi as a primary connection to any of our business clients but I use it myself at home with no issue. The main difference is that by and large cables plug in and just work whereas WiFi setups can be problematic and require some finesse to get the best from them. They are also affected by external influences and the very building they are in. There is rarely one answer and what works for one environment may need changes for another. This is very like HiFi in many ways. Consumer WiFi is designed to work adequately well for the majority with little technical knowledge required, but it can be improved upon.

I have never found someone using very expensive streaming sources wirelessly.
Be it Nd555, top DCS, Aurender W20, Msb…
On all forums relating on streaming audio, like audiophile style, Head Hifi, Whatsbestforum…all use switches and Ethernet cables, never WiFi.
I don’t say WiFi is not good but apparently the vast majority find that using an ethernet cable is better for sound quality.