Time For Naim To Take Home Networking Seriously?

You mean these two old duffers…

Statler_and_Waldorf

:joy:

4 Likes

Looks like one of the old departed duffers may be back…

… mmm now that’s interesting, I wonder if its public facing?

No, one of them was big and grizzly…

1 Like

Which one? Where? The grumpy old git or the arse?

Phil

3 Likes

You might be getting ahead of yourself there…

“Back” might not have been used in the sense that you are presuming… :rofl:

Oh he was one … very much so …

… but that’s a very lovely thing to say.

1 Like

A different animal for a different time Mike…

Welcome back Phil - we’ve missed you.

Best

David

1 Like

I’m not really ‘back’ … I just happen to be ‘here’. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

So where’s Baloo, we need the bear, the bear is the necessities.

@Bassfiend
Thanks for all the great advise in the past!

1 Like

Thanks for this thread.

I’ve been beating this drum for years. When I switched from my CD555 to the NDS/Uniti Serve SSD it became clear the gap between the devices had a huge influence on the sound. Better ethernet cables (Chord) helped as did fancy linear power supplies for the Serve and switch. But it nagged me that Naim had no elegant solution… and then Uniti-Core came out, without a switch! Ugh… Naim had an opportunity to fix part of the gap, but nope. Now I’ve moved onto the ND555, Chord Music ethernet and English Electric switch and it sounds pretty good. Never the less, I wish Naim would build a dedicated ethernet switch and cables. Source first!

1 Like

Surely you are not serious?
For goodness sake if you find it difficult simply use your ISP router switchports and leave it at that. You don’t need to do anything else…and you definitely don’t need a dedicated switch, that is the whole point in using a switch.

Next we will be asking Naim to build wifi access points, routers and mains consumer boxes and MCBs, and listening room soft furnishings/treatments… in fact they could exit the home audio business altogether and concentrate on all these are supportive areas that are part of the listening and or tweaking experience… it would appear to be a bigger market…

5 Likes

Well do hang about here from time to time. But the Padded Cell attracts some extreme behaviours, more so than before I think, so you might want to watch from more of a distance there.

Best

David

You don’t have time to be here… should be in garage with the TVR :wink:

It was my absolute pleasure …

For most of the time it wasn’t a ‘job’, I wasn’t unemployed and needing work when I started at Naim, I didn’t even apply for a position there that I’d seen advertised somewhere.

I was on a Home Automation e-group and had a load of older AV kit to get rid of when I was separating from my wife and we were selling up the house - I had a couple of big NEC CRT projectors that went (for free) to a couple of guys and another fella took an old prosumer Panasonic S-VHS VCR, a couple of Laserdisc players and the associated laserdiscs … he came to collect them and we got chatting, grabbed a Chinese because we’d been chatting for long enough to get hungry and then somehow I went off into a rant about music sounding like dogbutt because of bad production etc. and how people generally think that buying the next greatest new toy (at that time it was “High Def” TV - 720p and 1080p - that was the upcoming new thing) rather than actually doing something about crappy source material.

Anyway, a couple of days later I had an email from the guy saying “Been thinking about what you were saying the other evening and - if you’re interested - I might have a job for you…”

I used to tell people that I didn’t work at Naim - that Naim simply paid me so that I didn’t have to worry about having money to live on and let me go in and enjoy myself and that is honestly how it used to feel … the only real frustration that I had was I could never relate the people that would come up and chat at shows and dealer events to the emails and phonecalls that I’d had in the office and that was a shame as it’s so nice when you can put a face to a name or a discussion but it honestly was never a job … I used to look forward to Monday mornings, to seeing the guys again, to ‘being back with my mates down at the club’…

3 Likes

Ah yes … the TVR … which STILL isn’t back from its “two weeks work that’ll take three weeks” engine rebuild. Three weeks??? It was five years that it’s been away at the start of June …! :joy:

1 Like

Ahhhh Mike - just for you then, I think this is the one I used to use is it not?

220px-Baloo_the_bear

2 Likes

Good to see you back, Phil!:+1: