Time to unplug your HiFi?

www (.) netweather (.) tv/live-weather/radar is now showing the lightning cluster over the last hour has moved out over North Sea off south Yorkshire.

I take a somewhat different view of weather warnings.

I do a lot of hiking and recently the issue arose of whether we should walk when the hot weather warning was red. I am in some groups which include a number of members who might be described as ā€œmatureā€ and for whom the consequences of taking exercise in excess heat could be severe, indeed possibly terminal. Most groups agreed a policy of cancelling walks when a red warning was in place and leaving it to the discretion of the leader when the warning was amber.

Did we reduce harm to participants? Obviously, one canā€™t know, but a few years ago I was on a weekā€™s hiking holiday on Gran Canaria. Some weeks after we were there, a warning was issued by the Spanish weather service for unduly hot weather. The then leaders of the walks we had done decided to go ahead anyway and two hikers on one of the walks were taken ill with heat stroke, both ended up in hospital and one died.

Individuals are free to ignore weather warnings ā€“ theyā€™re not mandatory ā€“ but I still feel they have a role to play.

Roger

1 Like

I love to sit in the music room at the top of my house, in warm clothes, listening to music in really heavy rain. (Snow might be even more magical, but we donā€™t get much of that in Brighton, right next to the sea.)

Anything involving Carlos Kleiber, The Doors or Jeff Buckley is particularly fine, the music inside apparently fighting against the elements outside.

If itā€™s at night, turning the lights off while leaving the curtains open, adds to the atmosphere, with just a green glow coming from the various Naim bits.

2 Likes

I used to live a few miles away near Friston and overlooking the Sea. Storms out at sea and the lightning were always impressive, as long as they didnā€™t come inland.

Roger, thanks for your post. Surely a weather forecast gives exactly the same informationā€¦ it does for me when out and about, hiking, cycling, photography, events and flying UAVsā€¦ I feel I donā€™t need sensationalist warnings to colour and pep up my forecasts. The info is exactly the same
But as you say we are all different.

I switched off and unplugged this morning at 3.45 am (woken by the rain, then the lightning some 5-7 miles away going by the count). Not switching back on till Saturday when Iā€™m at home all day.

Taking no chances while Iā€™m at work tomorrow, forecast or not.

I have a similar thing with snowing in the night. No light in the room. Listening to smaller works by Sibelius, Stenhammar or Merit Hemmingson.

1 Like

And looking at the forecast todayā€¦ there is a weather ā€˜warningā€™ that states

ā€œOccasional periods of heavy rain through Saturday may lead to travel disruption.ā€œ

How completely ridiculous. This should simply be a forecast of occasional heavy rainā€¦ we know what heavy rain doesā€¦

Absolutely ridiculousā€¦ the world , or at least the weather forecasting service, is going doolally.

3 Likes

Nahā€¦. You were right the first timeā€¦. Itā€™s definitely the world.

1 Like

Thunderstorms in SE England tonight 5th September, my gear is powered off with any hint of disruption

Just started here (Worthing). All unplugged!

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.