Tiny loop sewn into T-shirt collar?

The T-shirt I’m wearing today has a tiny little fabric loop sewn into one side of the inside back collar. Anyone know what it’s for?

Googling either points in the direction of the long loops on (generally) female garments to help hang them on hangers, or the ‘locker loop’ on the back of shirts. This is clearly neither of those.

Anyone got any idea?

Photo?

It could be to loop a hat/baseball cap through so if it blows off your head it doesn’t get lost (in the water/sea for example)
I have a number of hats for sailing with “blow out” clips/bungies or similar.

It’s for hanging it up in the changing room locker … I prefer to use a coat hanger

The retailer normall attaches the card bar code labels to these loops Ive noticed.
Possibly to not damage the fabric?

1 Like

Its too small to go over a hook I think.

2 Likes

To tell front from back?

4 Likes

Maybe for a Headphone cable, have that on some cycling wear… but no need for it (in traffic)

1 Like

Thanks for all your suggestions (guesses?).

I suspect it’s too small to use to hang it up - wouldn’t go over most hooks.
I like the idea of attaching a cap. I’m not sure how this would work, but you’d probably need a bit of string. It’s not any kind of sailing / nautical brand, so I’m thinking this is unlikely.
A headphone loop is plausible too. I’ve seen this before in hoodies, but not T-shirts.
Could also be used to attach sales labels.
I’m not sure we have a clear winner. Today’s T-shirt is from the same retailer / brand but doesn’t have a loop. I’ll have to check a few others.

1 Like

Really? If purpose-designed cycle wear that would seem irresponsible: Playing music through headphones when cycling could be highly dangerous, on the road reducing awareness of things around, and anywhere potentially distracting, especially if playing loud. In UK they could be interpreted as braking the Highway Code, and I believe they are illegal in at least France.

I always thought that was for chorded glasses so they didn’t get jolted off playing polo or something.

2 Likes

I always thought it was a feature put there as a ‘designer’ feature such that you are prepared to pay more for the item. :grin:

1 Like

Not for the type or price of t-shirts I buy :grinning:

1 Like

@headphonecable
In traffic I see it as very dangerous, too.
But it is (semi-) professional cycle wear where I saw that, and maybe its meant for „tour radio / walkie-talkie stuff for professionals.
… but that doesnt answer you question belonging your Tshirt, huh?

1 Like

It’s called a “fruit loop”
Merchants use it to hang fruit from thus giving free use of their hands to carry other stuff.
The French use it to hang onions.

1 Like

I think it is to allow the matrix to plug you in to the correct point on the back of your neck

1 Like

1 Like

So I looked this up in my Men’s Wardrobe A-Z which I was given 25 years ago by a sibling to encourage me to “dress sharp for success instead of plaid and jeans”. That was a failure and the book is dusty but another story. Quite a [unintentionally] funny read actually. Written by an anglophile German in mid 90s with, what seemed to me a half century out-of-date perspective on fashion.

There are two types of rear inner collar loop:

• Dress shirts: A loop in the back inside of the collar is hidden when folded down and is to stop the thinner strap on a bow tie from slipping.
  • Polo shirts: A small loop on the inside of the collar before the fold is called a “locker room hook”. This is to allow shirts to be hung on a hook in a locker room without creasing as is required for certain gentlemen’s sports where presentability is expected (polo, golf, tennis etc).
2 Likes

Yes, I saw that in the eighties in Allo Allo:

Odd how memories work. I thought it was used for Garlic.

2 Likes