To 222 or not 222?

My thoughts too. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

A jalopy set?:))

When I compared directly connected to a power amp the 222 sounded better, but only then. It’s an advantage in the preamp.

1 Like

Ok, those comparisons aren’t useful for me.

yes, nothing like your own, interesting to hear yours when you have a chance

1 Like

Yeah, I’m waiting for the fanfare to die down a bit before I set up a demo.

Totally valid comparison.

1 Like

The chip tell very little of the real soundquality. It is the implementation to the analog parts that is important.

While implementation is of course important it would seem odd to ignore the choice and comparative quality of components used.

Naim uses the three dac chips in the same ascending order as the dac designers measured performance and cost.

The 1792a used in the NDX2 as well as the 272 is a highly regarded dac and is by way of example also used in the LUXMAN DA06 stand alone dac.

The 1791a is used in the unity range, nd5xs2 and 222 is also considered a good dac.

The 1704 used in the nd555, nds and nDac has by all accounts a legendary reputation.

Having had a very extensive listen to the new kit I am going to wait to listen to the next group of releases in the NC series before deciding on how to upgrade from my present system.

5 Likes

The Naim DAC-V1 also uses, I believe, the Burr Brown PCM1791A chip.

Thanks,

1 Like

To me this is quite straight forward. Unless there will be released a 300 level streamer/ preamp such as 222 I will add NSC222 to my 250NC, then NPX300 into a 3 box solution. It might be added a NPX TT at some point as I understand it can be done. The alternative will be 5 boxes plus riaa, psu and headamp, in worst case 8 boxes or more. No thanks :blush:

Stover

2 Likes

Crikey! They’re a 222 and 250 on eBay already! £10k

1 Like

The guy is obviously a bit confused about whether it’s an auction or not and whether he will ship or not. :thinking:

Strange wording….unwrapped….yet run-in. I wonder if he has had a fair listen and does not find the new sound engaging. The price is probably what he paid for it with some dealer discount?

Are dealers really discounting the new stuff?

I would not expect to pay full price.

I wouldn’t on standard Naim kit, but with this being so new and supposedly in high demand I thought things might be a bit different

The obvious thing to do is just sit it out till January 2024 and make an offer on the ex-demo kit surfacing at that time, it’ll have been lightly used but demoed regularly by then for short bursts of time and importantly,
cost you a fair bit less.
Anyone obsessing over DAC performance and chip comparisons, the NSC 222 is probably not for you, the simple answer is a dedicated NAC preamp and ND digital source, ideally with external power sources on both boxes!
All those yet to appear New Classic boxes won’t be cheap, we’ve seen the cheap stuff already, it’ll only get more expensive from
this point on.

1 Like

You may be describing what you do.

That pattern certainly does not apply to me. I’ve had basically the same units for 30-odd years, and have no intention of changing.

Well, don’t expect to own any brand new Naim units in the foreseeable future.

Cash on collection :thinking: