To 222 or not 222?

It’s all relative of course, in my case I have a fairly similar system to what the new 200 Series offers, not as good in some respects, maybe a bit better in others, overall where I wanted to be right now, with a low box count but at a performance and system synergy level that suited my needs and budget.
I had a sense that changes were coming across the range, so let my HiCap go that I’d used on previous NAIT’s and briefly on my current SN3 and whilst pondering the idea of an XPS DR figured I’d wait and see and reserve those funds for what may appear down the road.
So the NPX 300 is curious in that sense as it offers a viable bridge between Old and New Classic for my current source investment and has the potential to be the power source of a future NAC, the NDX 2 still has a place even in that scenario given it can power itself as needed.
If you have a Uniti product today or are at an XS level system then you’re spoilt for choice for options, including new 200 Series and likely an increase in supply of decent Old Classic kit as people upgrade.

4 Likes

Good luck with that…

Which way might you do this?
(1) Home demo
(2) Take your SN3 into the dealer. (Or even use the dealer demo SN3, if available).

I’m on very good terms with them and they’re local (20 min drive). They have a SN3 and NDX 2 in their demo kit as well as the same speakers I use on my main system, so with a bit of planning it can be setup relatively easily. The bit they almost certainly lack that may scupper or delay things is the specific legacy cabling to join it all together in to something functional. I imagine they’ll get those in regardless as they become available, being very close to Naim HQ also helps as stuff can get from factory to demo quickly as needed.

1 Like

Sounds like you’ve already arrived at understanding how these new pieces might work for you, in an “adapted” HiFI journey.

I’m still contemplating things

Other things already on my radar (before New Classic appeared) …
(1) Upgrade our Innous Zen Mini mk3 to new " S "specification
(2) A new “best” phono stage, for our LP12.
(3) Investigate separate streamers. Prospects include ND5 XS2 and Innous Pulse.

The last task - should say that as we already have a nDAC in the house, it makes sense to consider utilising this. The Innous Pulse is an interesting prospect, as it has a SPDIF digital out, (unlike most, which employ USB only). So, can work with our nDAC.

The HiFi hobby malarkey is fun, isn’t it?

2 Likes

There have long been calls for a replacement for the 272, with at least one long running thread on it. The big question here re 222 is: Does it satisfy all those who were after that replacement (who haven’t gone a different route instead of waiting)??? Is it what you dreamed of (other than not being called 372)?

3 Likes

It has a logical path, it’s one that will almost certainly take years to tread along, nothing changing any time soon, I’d rather get a better vinyl source as a priority for example. Nice to have options though, especially ones that I can relate to relative to my current system, kudos to Naim for their evolution and continuous support across generations of products. Things may take time to materialise but it seems in this case worth that extended wait.

2 Likes

Just to say that my core system (amps and speakers) are the same since 2003. I have changed from a CD player to a streamer but that is it. Many are happy and stick. Forumites not so much…

2 Likes

My apologies if this does not belong here. But when you use UPnP, who (i.e. which device) is actually streaming? My understanding is that it would be your phone/tablet that actually streams from the internet and feeds this into the Naim chain. Means you use a streaming board/chip that is outside your Naim chain. Or how else can 1st gen Naim streamers actually stream 44.1/16 internet radio or Qobuz?

1 Like

For me, the 222 is a no-brainer as I have been waiting for it to be announced. After a downsize to a uniti a few year ago the itch returned and I was pondering a return to a multi-box system for a while. Covid lockdowns and a move to a new home confirmed this was where I wanted to head. Now with the 222/300 and my 250DR I can have the 3-box system I want and use the Star in a second system or sell it to fund a core.
But if I had an existing multi-box system I would wait for a bit I think, a 272 won’t suddenly sound worse just because a new kid is on the block.

4 Likes

probably not the same people to be fair :wink:

5 Likes

My apologies to the OP too.

If I understand correctly, you’re half right :slight_smile:

I think the phone Bubble app, in my setup, acts as a UPnP control point, bubble server on my Mac mini is doing the streaming (a UPnP media renderer) and my UQ1 the playback (UPnP media renderer). Natively the UQ1 cannot stream Qobuz.

I think it depends on where you want to draw the line regarding functionality and obsolescence. FWIW I’ve started to consider streamers as networked DACs, some are more capable than others. My UQ1 is less capable than a ND5 XS2, but still capable. And I also think the lines can be drawn a lot more flexibly these days.

The bottom line is that functionally I use the UQ1 to stream Qobuz just fine, despite it being out of production for years. The NP800 board was engineered not to suffer from early obsolescence, after learning from the experience of early streamers, so should not mean the NSC222 will be outdated anytime soon. Obviously predicting the future of technology is a bit of a fool’s errand, but as long as the NP800 can be flexibly updated, and has sufficient spare capacity, Naim should be able to keep it up to date with changes in streaming technology…

Hope I responded appropriately!? What was your original question trying to get at? How to use a gen 1 streamer to stream Qobuz, or to work out if the NSC222 was likely to be affected by the same issues the gen 1 streamers did?

1 Like

I know we all do it, but i do wonder why we all criticise something that we have no intention of buying. Maybe it’s some latent jealousy that the new product is not the one i want.

The 222 has some interest for me (though i’m still not sure of the looks). What i want is a new pre with balanced inputs; notice “want” as i certainly don’t need, my passive pre is fine but does leave me with the what if syndrome sometimes.

1 Like

Yes.

3 Likes

You did, thank you. My original question was trying to get at whether 1st gen streamers can do Qobuz. You confirmed they can’t and you use a workaround.

1 Like

Ian is correct, I had the 252/SC2/250.2 and didn’t care for it that much. Not saying it’s awful but it should’ve been better imo. Not sure if it’s the SC2 or 250.2 that was the bigger influence there but I’ve got on with all the 250s I’ve owned olive and black. Current system 272/555PS/250DR.

This is what I’m hearing as well, can’t wait to hear the set up.

1 Like

Sadly the 222 contains a PCM DAC, any DSD fed to it is converted from it’s 1 bit 11.2Mhz (DSD256) sampling rate to PCM, probably 192/24, or maybe less? DSD was used for the SACD format, Why did Naim not use either two DAC’s or convert PCM to DSD.

If I win the lottery and decide on a 222, I will take my ESS based DAC and compare it to the Naim offering.

Maybe have a look here -

I assume you’re heavily invested in DSD as a format and have a file based library as your main playback source?
I think it’s fair to say that the mainstream is catered for primarily with PCM formats like WAV or FLAC?
I like DSD as a format and have DAC’s that support it natively but wouldn’t see it as being something that is going to impact Naim’s potential 222 market, or maybe I’m missing something obvious here.

1 Like

my NdS too. But many here are more streaming online than locally. For me it’s not a problem . But those wanting to have Qobuz, Amazon tomorrow, Apple …etc…the streaming platform is evolving fast.

1 Like

With or without the NPX 300?