To 222 or not 222?

I am aware that DSD was created by Sony/Philips as a method for SACD decoding and a digital way of conserving analogue recording in the digital domain, we are talking about playback though, not the ability to create and mix our own music. This debate will go on and on I am sure…!!

I’m not in the market but I assumed with.

1 Like

Doesn’t the Zen mk 3 series already do everything the pulse does so rather than getting a separate streamer couldn’t you just combine money and get a higher level Innuos cd ripper/streamer? Also have you heard anything about the “s” model upgrade. I’m thinking about getting a ripper to go with my system so am wondering which model is best (I’ll probably be getting a mini as I already have a streamer so would just be connecting via Ethernet).

S upgrade not available yet… i tried to get them to do my mini when in for repair couple of weeks ago but no response to my request… it involves more ram and an ssd and looking at the price difference in the S model and the budget mini its likely to be around £400! lot of cash for an ssd…

2 Likes

Sure. I’m still waiting on that service being available?
Details TBC, etc
But, I expect to say yes. I think it’s a “no brainer”.

I’m sincerely hoping that Innous make this one easy by supplying “upgrade kits” to their dealers and allowing them to get on with such things.

Thanks for showing an interest.

1 Like

The Pulse is just a streamer.
The new Innous products line up as follows : Pulse Mini - Pulse - Pulsar. (Good - better - best).

We are considering a high quality, dedicated streamer - for use in another room and system.
Perhaps the ND5 XS2. But the new Pulse seems worth a look too, (once it’s available).

Yes, we have the Zen Mini. This is both streamer as well as ripper & HDD archive, etc
Actually it does so much more. But that’s another story. It’s a fabulous product.
Maybe go look at a thread in Streaming Audio : " Incoming - Innous Zen Mini mk3 + LPSU ".

How did you arrive at your own decision on a streamer?

Just pointing you towards the comments on DSD, from Naim staff, @110dB .

Its not something that I know about… :thinking:

1 Like

Correct he had it with with Supercap2 and 250.2. Many people found that combo blah.

For me I like having the option system automation so I can alter the volume on my phone via the naim/focal app and it had most streaming options I’m currently with apple music but I knew I planned to try tidal and qobuz. I picked the nd5xs2 because I could add an external dac later and reach similar sound quality to ndx2 without such a large initial outlay.

4 Likes

Maybe, maybe not……listen before you decide!!!

1 Like

I’m not buying :slight_smile: Just speculating and reading and enjoying the discussion.

I might buy, but would categorically listen beforehand :slight_smile:

1 Like

Because it sounds good……, trust the R & D department……and go for a demo at your dealer!

3 Likes

Put so simple … I think you’ve hit the nail on its head

That seems a very odd comment. For years and years we have had plea after plea asking for a 272 replacement. At long last it appears only for it to be criticised for not being a separate preamp and streamer. We know there’s much more to come so why not include the longed-for 272 successor in the first tranche? I guess Naim are going to attract flak whatever they do.

Roger

15 Likes

Also I think once you’ve heard a 222 in a 2 or 3 box 200 Series setup, you’ll realise how much thought and engineering has gone in to this range over the last 5 years of development.
It’s a genuinely polished and capable combo and quite a significant step beyond what the 272 and 250 it replaces was capable of delivering.

3 Likes

I was (and probably still will be) abandoning my 282/250 hc dr system. Part of the reason is my inability to manage the high box count and cabling that I once did. As a final attempt, I thought perhaps this new system might eliminate enough boxes but my main listening is still thru an lp-12. w/seperate phono stage. However , the 222 only has a mm stage. I think that shows where naim has aimed it at but more importantly, it does not allow for the elimination of enough boxes for my purposes. I’m guessing a future 300 level might work, but it may be like the 272 replacement - igt might still be years off and even the 200 series is becoming “real money”.

Depends on size… And they’re coming down all of the time (bar a few hiccoughs like supply problems)

Yes, going through the manuals and learning about the new classics the attention detail that went into these products is impressive. As products they seem very well-designed and likely well-researched.

All the functions the 272 offered have been improved.

3 Likes

Love the reduction and integration - however how to I add an MC phono? I don’t think the NPX300 does not power a Superline and you can’t power a phone via the 222.

Works with my LP12+Urika but difficult to run my DPS3 without a Superline+SC and severely increasing box count.

I wonder how many are running an MM with a CAD$36k combo. I don’t see the MM phono input all that useful, for a 1-2k preamp maybe but for $12k?

1 Like

I can see those with a 272 looking to upgrade, the 222 can be a very interesting product. But if the Dac chip in the 222 is the same as the one used in the ND5X2 (why?) it would seem like potentially a side way move, but implementation etc should be better.

Personally I would prefer a separate DAC and Pre. Will be buying the new 250, but will wait out for separates.