To Fraim or not to Fraim

The Linn Isobarik DMS had just that, it’s crossover sat beneath the speaker inside and at the bottom of the stand.
Several manufacturers are going half the way by putting the crossover in a separate chamber inside the cabinet, sometimes adding some damping to it.

Does anyone know the dowel thickness?

Because nobody can demonstrate over the internet how a speaker or amp sounds in the room. However, with digital files it is perfectly routine to compare two files with each other over the internet, it’s being done all the time and there are simple tools for it which can determine beyond any doubt if two digital files are the same or not. Nobody wanted you to prove anything, everyone was just really curious what it was and if the files differed or not, and if so how.

2 Likes

Full Fraim is just superb - wish I’d purchased mine years before I did. Music comes alive - particularly from my CDX2. Not cheap - but then again 6 levels is less than most Classic black boxes one you are …beyond the 200 gear. I also happen to think it looks the business as well - much nicer than Fraim Lite.

2 Likes

And was there a difference between the 2 files?

The mystery remains unsolved, Toby was not motivated to run a checksum tool on the files or upload them somewhere for others to inspect.

1 Like

This sort of thing should be pretty easy to test. I don’t understand why equipment manufactures don’t include the scale of the problem their dedicated hifi racks seek to address, and the degree to which they address them. Given that there are very detailed measurements available for almost all other equipment performance - indeed, these are a key selling point for most components - I am curious as to why certain bits of hifi seem to fall out of this (racks, cables etc).

2 Likes

I sometimes use DBPowerAmp to rip CDs and it compares to a database of ripped files of the same CD. I have had errors on this comparison, cleaned the CD and then re-ripped it and not got errors on the tracks that previously errored. This is obviously down to an issue with the CD and either dirt or a film over it

2 Likes

Given that a Fraim doesn’t benefit non-Naim gear, it’s reasonable that other racks (as well as cables) may also have a different effect good or bad or different audio gear. And you’d have to factor in that a lot of furniture is built with style a greater priority than function.

Having a label attached that informs the buyer ‘Please note this will probably have no beneficial effect on the sound you get and may well make it worse, but it looks good’ wouldn’t be a good selling point.

1 Like

You make an excellent point.

Very valid points which also make me cautious about the outlay of some of these accessories.

2 Likes

Sure. The argument was that if the CD was ripped successfully, ripping it again after cleaning it with magic fluid will only result in the same rip. And Toby’s experience was not that errors were gone, but magically the sound transformed

1 Like

Not sure this is a given though - microphony will affect components irrespective of the name of the manufacturer. The degree to which it does might vary according to the design of the equipment - and precision equipment might show this to a greater degree - but any electrical item will have a degree of susceptibility.

I should have typed may not rather than doesn’t - enough people have advised that non-Naim gear on a Fraim doesn’t [always] show an improvement. Good spot though.

this is litterally using music to listen to the hifi
Im with you Mr Facefirst no evidence other than subjective
I have mine on a big solid oak table
sounds wonderful

Would an expensive fraim improve it maybe but how much for the cost?
I just listen and enjoy

Mike

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.