To leave Naim equipment on or turn off?

I have a Unitilite if I switch it off the CD drawer jams so I have to leave it on .

Is the advice to leave system turned on valid for Uniti Atom also?

I switch the amps off twice a month on average. The system will be switched off for about 4 to 5 days before I switch it on again.

The reason I switch the amps off is not solely down to saving the planet or cutting down electricity bills but the fact that I rarely have time to listen during the weekdays. Most of my listening is carried out during the weekends.

One thing is for sure - the amps need considerable warm up time to sound great, 7 days to be exact although some would think it’s nuts. Day 2 or Day 3 the sound quality will be quite bad (for my standards), Day 4 it gets to acceptable levels, Day 7 fully optimised - my own experience.

2 Likes

Very helpful insight. Thank you.

Yes, because it has the amps in it.

1 Like

I leave my NAP200 amp on 24/7, but the Atom - which is in use as streamer and pre-amp - goes on standby when we are not listening. For the Atom this does not make a difference, at least not as far I can hear. The NAP sounds worse the first hour(s) after it has been turned off.

I realise your question was directed to Richard, but thought I’d respond as this is of interest to me too. As far as I’m aware the Urika phono stage is only powered when the turntable is rotating. Hence, I see no advantage in leaving it on. What I do is turn it on 20 minutes or so before playing a record and turning turntable on so that the Urika is powered. I’ve convinced myself that it does sound better like that. I think this might have been Stu’s recommendation too.

2 Likes

Hi Dan
I always switch my LP 12 off after a listening session but leave my Radikal powered on even though I do not have a Urika.
Richard

1 Like

Exactly this. Doesn’t go off when I’m away unless the possibility of storms is very high. It gets old very quickly powering down six boxes for what turns out to be one clap of thunder five miles away.

2 Likes

Always leave on unless out of town. Even the Armageddon. It really improves after a few days.

2 Likes

As I understand all Naim equipment is producing faint speaker „hiss“. It is dependent on speaker sensitivity of course. Some people hear it very well (even at about 3 meters distance) if speakers are sensitive, and some people don’t hear it at all, if speakers are less sensitive.

I’m thinking, can it cause long term wear out to speaker tweeter If Naim equipment is turned on 24/7? Or maybe such signal can somehow negatively affect inner electronic circuits of the speakers?

I understand of course, that this hiss is not loud, and electric signal is very weak. But well know proverb says: “Constant dropping wears away the stone”.

If this causes additional wear on the tweeter, that I can’t say for sure (though I thought of the same issue when I first jumped on the Naim train) but I can say all you need to do is put the unit on mute, that prevents any tweeter hiss. My system is generally left on all the time, with the mute turned on.

1 Like

„Mute“ does not eliminate hiss on Atom, Star and Nova. Seems this solution only works for separates.

Hi Luc, zero hiss here from my Dynaudios with a NAP200 that is on 24/7. So pretty sure this is not the case for all setups.

Dynaudio speakers have very low sensitivity. So “hiss” is not hearable through them. I think “hiss” becomes very obvious starting from 90dB (2.83V / 1m)) sensitivity and up.

It seems that people who have speakers with sensitivity below 88dB do not hear „hiss“.

My Focals have 91.5 dB.

I have Zu, and hiss. Only audible if I want to put my head against the speakers.

Been using Naim since 1983 now on my third system, all have been left on and all of my tweeters have remained intact.

3 Likes

Makes sense Luc, checked the specs and my Dynaudios are rated 86db so below the 88db threshold you mentioned.

No discussion, leave it on, takes at least 4 days to get warm and sound good again… NAC N272 / NAP 300 DR with Proac response K6 speakers)In combination with audioquest Niagara 1200 no worries for power dips ligtning etc…

How long you had your K6’s for? I have the D38’s… I’m tempted to get the K8’s when we move house (after living on rice and beans for a year haha).