To Switch Or Not To Switch

Yes, soecifically.
WS-C2960PD-8TT-L

You power the device either via a DC jack (48 volts) or PoE souce on the uplink port.

1 Like

thanks Simon
What’s the difference between the WS-C2960PD-8TT-L-R and the WS-C2960PD-8TT-L ?

Here they seem to be described almost interchangably:

Cisco Catalyst WS-C2960PD-8TT-L-R

• Device Type Switch - 8 ports - Managed
  • Enclosure Type Desktop
  • Subtype Fast Ethernet
  • Ports 8 x 10/100 + 1 x 10/100/1000

Reference WS-C2960PD-8TT-L-R

Tags: Cisco Managed L2 Fast Ethernet Switch Catalyst 8 ports WS-C2960PD-8TT-L

Do you think this would be likely to sound different to a WS-C2960-8TC-L VO1 ?

Hi Jim - as Simon mentioned earlier in the thread, the benefit with the POE version is you can stick the PSU elsewhere - it certainly makes a lot of sense but whether this will benefit your setup i’m not so sure. With the better mains setup you’ve got sorted recently and the 2960 you’ve probably gone as far as you can go with VFM tweaking. You’ve got a nice system there and have spent some time optimising it so i’d sit back and enjoy what you’ve got and put the money towards a 372 when that comes out.

James

I don’t know… I think they are the same but not sure.

Tempting (- even though it doesn’t actually exist)…

Later this year… its the only product knocking about with the old streaming board so it can’t be long before a 272 upgrade comes…

Do you have your eye on one?

Nah not for me - happy where i am Jim. I’ll be interested in what they do with an uprated 272 as in its present guise it’s a very versatile and fine sounding bit of kit. Now if Naim came out with a 500 series integrated then i’d be very tempted to come back. Until then i’ll be observing from the sidelines :smile:

1 Like

is that what you do?
so you have a switch on/near your racks with a short ethernet cable, and a switched plugged in in your cupboard?

It is the ‘Charge’ setting under the settings for the USB input. So basically setting it to ‘Never’ removes the power to the front USB port.
I believe this is a relatively new option or only in the Settings via the Front Display for this input.

Anyway have made this change, and just for good measure disabled the USB input, as I don’t use it and if I ever need to use it, it is easily re-enabled.

Will give that a listen tonight.

Thanks @JimDog

Is this on your ISP router or on your Cisco switch?

No this in the NDS settings.

Ah - yes, sorry got my wires crossed. Yes, I did that on my 272 too.

No worries - I wasn’t aware this was a recommended setting from Naim, makes sense though.

1 Like

I’m not clear how it works to power a WS-C2960PD-8TT-L via a PoE souce on the uplink port?
Is it uplink port one of the 2 ports on the right?
And would I just plug the ethernet cable from my PlusNet router into that, and it would carry both music files and electricity into the Cisco? I don’t think the PlusNet router is PoE enabled.
So would I need a 2nd Cisco elsewhere?
If so, PoE is not going to happen for me.

This newer version of the 2960 looks like it’s built a little better. Are they the same?

1 Like

it’s the model i bought. Newer version of the 2960 8tcl.

1 Like

You need a power injector or PoE source device…and yes the uplink ports are the two on the right.

1 Like

Do you use Poe with it?