To Switch Or Not To Switch

no, just a good power cable.

1 Like

Can anyone comment on the differences if any of the newer unit? The ports on the right are different. Aside from that is it the same?

If you mean the newer white models, they are essentially the same. 8 regular ports, and on the R, two dual purpose RJ45/SFP ports.

1 Like

Okay, thanks, I notice the newer white ones are POE. Does this have any impact on sonics? Sorry for the pedantic questions but my knowledge of these things is limited to what I’ve read here.

There are models with or without PoE, in both new and old ranges. Possibly useful if, for example, you plan to connect a wireless access point that can run off PoE, otherwise I wouldn’t bother.

mine , white one, is not poe. I has a power cable…

1 Like

Not exactly.
I use one switch for the entire network, and it’s powered with a power chord.
I use its PoE capabilities to power my WiFi assess point and network camera.

Btw, it’s not stored in a cupboard :joy:
It’s a dedicated network rack :wink:
Quite useful for computer and network stuff.

Looks more like a fridge or a wine cellar.
I spent my life rock climbing and mountaineering, in the alps himalaya 4 times and Yosemite three times, etc I bet we could have good chat about routes one day.
I’m heading up scafell pike this weekend with the family and an old school friend in a hailstorm if the weather forecast is right…

I thought that avatar pic looked familiar, is it Namche?

Oh yes a fridge would be sweet :joy::joy::joy: it would keep my delicate toys nice and fresh. It’s about 26°C in there… which is far from being perfect.

That network cabinet is embedded in a wall of a small room where I store my other precious toys: my mountaineering gear. I’ll post a picture this evening.

Have you been working as mountain guide? I have had it in mind for some time, and forgot the idea eventually.

How nice: three times in Yosemite, lucky you!!! I hope I’ll be able to spend some holydays there. We have our own tiny Yosemite in Europe: Vale dell’Orco. And, of course, all the granit of the Mont Blanc’s region.

I especially enjoy gulleys and north faces during the winter/spring and the Mont Blanc du Tacul’s satellites during the summer (Grand Capucin, Trident, Chandellle, etc.). But I guess you’ve been there many times too.

After the birth of my daughter 2 years ago I couldn’t do as much as I use to. I’ve been more into sport climbing. I still climb 3-4 times a week, but lost part of the stamina I had before. I’m 45 years old now… but I still titillate the 8th grade :laughing:

My pleasure now is to enjoy some nice string quartets after a hard climbing evening sessions.

How about you?

Yes, it Namche as we arrived at it after walking through the Rolwaling Valley (taken on an old analog camera)…

I have climbed in Snowdonia, the Lake District, the Peak, Anglesey, Cornwall, Bristol, Scotland, Verdon Gorge, Pyrenees, Costa Blanca, Majorca, maybe 40 trips boarding, skiiing and climbing in the Alps since my dad (who is a climber) first dangled me off a rock on holiday in Austria in 1972.
Also, Siberia, Alaska, Nepal, Ladakh via Kashmir, Tibet… I wrote some articles for On The Edge magazine while it existed - also was in the Alpine Club and the RGS.
My favorite thing was combining extensive land journeys with exploration of mountainous regions…
I’m now 54 and take my 3 kids to train at the climbing wall.
Yes, I did look at guiding about 25 years ago, but in the end decided it was ‘a hard way to make an easy living’, as the poker professionals say…
Apologies to the OP for digression!

1 Like

I found a new/unused WS-C2960C-8PC-L for the same price as I paid for my old “refurbished” WS-C2960C-8TC-L. The 8PC-L has POE capability, not sure what the other differences if any are. It’s a 2960 catalyst so it should work well I think. The variations with these switches is a little overwhelming.

2 Likes

tell us how it sounds, when received.

Ok, I just wanted to make sure there wasn’t some reason I shouldn’t go with this one. It’s new unused so I’m assuming it’s factory default which means unmanaged.

yes. But you can ask the seller too.

Does this switch only run on PoE, or does it run from mains AC power, and supply PoE to other units? If it’s the former, it’s probably no use to you.

1 Like

It has a power cable and aside from POE I’m not sure if there are any other differences.

I don’t use PoE, but I’m sure it’ll be fine as long as it has a mains power input.

1 Like

I don’t plan to use it either so hopefully that added functionality, though unused, won’t interfere with sonics, it doesn’t seem like it would.