To Switch Or Not To Switch

Thanks to everyone who encouraged me to persist with this switch and particularly Simon for doing all the groundwork. Having been left for a couple of days to warm up and plonked on a Fraim shelf rather than the floor, it is a very definite improvement, just as you have all said. Also, as the Hi-Fi+ review points out, it is sensitive to microphonics and careful installation reaps benefits.

1 Like

:small_blue_diamond: Michaelb,…As Always.!!

:black_small_square:Everything matters…

/Peder🙂

what in particular?
anything we can learn?
where did you put it?

It’s in the post: on its own Fraim shelf, on the top of the PSU stack but not above the transformer (r.h. side). It’s positioned sideways to achieve this but also so the cables (short to the ND555) can hang freely.

Thanks for that extra detail.
I’ve received the isogel feet, but not had time to fit them to my switch yet.

You’re welcome. It will be interesting to hear what they add sonically to the little rubber feet already there. I’ve always liked the old Naim/Linn approach of transferring energy away rather than absorbing it.

My switch has no feet.
It looks a bit battered, but sounds great.

Ah. Would you like a pic of the feet on mine?

If it’s no trouble, might be useful for anyone researching whether/how to add a switch.
thanks
Jim

Jim - if it’s any help. I used these which were carefully selected based on some strict technical requirements …

1 - I needed 3 of them.
2 - They were sticky so easily attached to un-footed 2960
3 - They were easily obtained (found them in my desk drawer)

They seem to work :grinning:

1 Like

Here you go:

Nice hard looking feet.
Yours has a good date too.
No date spotted yet on mine.
thanks
Jim

I like your forensic approach…

So the other day i wanted to know what all the fuzz is about with this Cisco 2960 switch and decided to buy one.

I was a little sceptic about this but always try to keep an open mind. After plugging in the cables, my network decided to be rude and forced me to reset. In the beginning there was no improvement.

Usually is listen to a USB drive with my Nova via the server mode in the app. So thought maybe i should listen to an upnp server. No improvement here too…

Been thinking, maybe I got unlucky with my Cisco unit or it’s not audible on my system.

But then! After 2 days. I feel like the sound has opened up, better separation between instruments and it looks like the sound is not coming from the speakers but just hangs in the air. This improvement is even audible throughout the usb-server mode, UPnP and HDMI (tv with Netflix).

One word. Stunning!

Thank you all!

2 Likes

Given that your improvement didn’t coincide with the installation of the switch, and applies to inputs that are not routed through the switch (HDMI and USB) how sure are you that the switch is responsible?

1 Like

Because nothing else got changed.
The tv network now goes through the same switch.

I’ve just swopped my 15 year old 8M Chord Rumour 2’s for new Chord Epic 3.5M.
I also moved my Cisco from the rack to a slate roof tile on the floor under the TV stand, and added 4 Isoacoustic feet to it. (too many changes at once)
The effect: the system has lost it poise and balance.
I think I will put the Cisco back on the rack - and get a good quality short ethernet cable for it into the 272.
Then I will reposition the speakers again, using the ‘logical’ method recommended on another thread.
Get back the sweet sound I had after installing the switch.
But also try switching back to the old cables before I do anything else…

1 Like

May I ask where you got it and roughly how much it cost?

I got a genuine Cisco refresh programme “as new” refurbed switch on eBay from ITelligentisa Sales who deal in stuff direct from CISCO. They handled everything quickly and well. The box it came in was a sealed CISCO refresh programme box.

1 Like

Irrespective of microphonics and short runs etc. it is best away from the black boxes on the Fraim - a quite noticeable improvement. The NAS, Nucleus+ and Switch are now on the desk a 4m cable length away from the NAIM racks.

2 Likes