Toe-In for Spendor A4?

Hi

I currently have my A4 speakers with a slight toe-in of about 10 degrees. Things sound good, but I am wondering what other A4 users have found. Highs seem about right. This is a relatively new Naim system. Upgrading to the NDX2/XPSDR really improved the tonal balance, such that the high frequencies are well balanced and no longer muted. I will be upgrading interconnect and speaker cable to EpicX, which will be delivered and installed by the dealer in a few weeks.

What is the general experience with Spendor A4 and toe-in?

Not the A4, but the A5 and the d9.2, both are set for the centre line to cross just behind my head in the normal listening position ( central).

This is a classic suck it and see. I have tried all options as one reads about all variations on blogs. For me the slight toe in was the best option but it is all down to your room acoustics.

2 Likes

I suspect toe in is specific to room and not speaker per se.

Trial and error, whilst a faff, is the best way to get results. Start with no toe in and work back from there until you find a sweet spot
Gary

1 Like

This is the info for A5s…

1 Like

Best toe-in (or out) angle depends not only on the speakers but also on the room and speaker/listener positions in particular what and how close are things to the sides (walls pr furniture etc).Other people’s experiences might not translate to your situation, while it is about the easiest thing to try for yourself.

1 Like

Agreed. And free too. :slightly_smiling_face:

The way I do it is to have them pointing straight ahead and then toe in just enough to get a stable central image on vocals. If you get it right it should sound good anywhere in the room and not in just some mythical sweet spot.

2 Likes

Thanks everyone. I have a fairly well defined center image with a slight toe in. They are about 30 inches from the side walls.

I follow the sumiko master set method for speaker positioning and what I found is that in the last (second to last) step, the right toe in angle makes the speakers disappear. It’s a thing you will immediately notice. It’s important to start with no angle and add small, small increments until you get to the feeling the speakers are not there.
I had A7s and now have D7.2.

1 Like

I use Spendor A9’s and use the same technique. Like you i get good vocals from nearly every position.
I do this because i don’t tend to sit down and listen very often, i stand and tend to wonder from side to side. Not dissimilar from being at a gig.

1 Like

Not that you can do that at seated venues, nor if jam-packed! I actually only move at free standing gigs if the sound quality or view is poor, until I find best I can.