Tone control

Hi
My system : Uniti2 ( using as pre amp ) , 250-2 , Pmc Twenty.23 with A5 cables . After many years of using Quad . from 34-405 to Artera pre and power . I finally got some Naim gear which was a bit of a revelation . The downside was that it was a bit bass heavy and lacked bite on a lot of my music . Well recorded stuff sounds perfect no matter what volume and even less well recorded albums sound good when the volume is turned up , my problem is although I like to listen at quite high volume , most of my listening is done at say medium volumeand this is when the bass gets a bit woolly and the treble lacks a bit of bight bite . Enter the Schiit Audio Loki Tone control . Absolutely wonderful !! ( to my ears anyway )…Tight bass and sparkle to the treble when I need it , with no loss of the Naim sound

1 Like

I use one two between an atom and a 250dr in our kitchen/playroom And what a cracking bit of kit it is !
Very highly recommended as it helps out with such a problematic room.

1 Like

Thats it exactly , and it helps with my problematic ears . It’s subtle but oh so good .
Dave

1 Like

Hi Jazz,

Can you play with the position of your speakers?
May be worth analysing your room with REW.

It is interesting that it is fine at higher volumes and that the issues are at lower volumes. Some equipment does have this as an issue, could you borrow a better pre-amp and see if that resolves the issue?

I know, spending your money! I just hate the idea of adding more equipment into the chain, but that may be a practical and VFM solution.

Good luck,

M

I’ve not had a tone control since 1981 (and don’t miss it). I balance my system by choosing the right combination of gear (source/peramp./amp/speakers) and fine tune with cables.

I totally agree that a well designed and put together system is the best way to do things but sometimes the room can be to problematic.
I have always thought a well designed speaker crossover with simple treble lift controls ( switch on the back ) is the best way to do things with the exception of active.
My system in the kitchen is a real mullet system to the extreme but the little loka gets me out of a world of problems. I do plan on Making changes in the future but for now it makes the kitchen system listenable ( just about )
Atom > loka > nap250dr > Spendor Classic100s

PMC Fact 12 (maybe the other Facts) has switches on the crossover for tailoring the bass to different rooms as well as treble to tailor to ‘brightness’ of room. (And the IMF RSPMs I had until about 4 years ago had switches on the crossover, but only modifying the HF).

My system now is active, with a digital XO, which has a some spare DSP capacity. Gentle roll off or gectle rising boost of frequency is quite possible if desired. I have set mine up readily switchabe between two settings, one for my optimum speaker position, and the other for the general purpose room use position where the speaker response is rather lumpy, set to reduce and even out the worst peaks (unnecessary in optimum position).

I’m with Mr Underhill and try a better pre, the Uniti although an excellent product the 250.2 is showing the limitations of the inbuilt pre.

NAC = Naim Audio Control

I would tend to agree. I upgraded my Uniti 1 with a 250-2. Fortunately, Naim came to my rescue when they introduced the 272. The 272 was exactly what I needed at that time.

My Fact 3s had those switches too. I found the effect of using them quite subtle and ended up with them flat for most listening.

Roger

Yup. A 282/HiCap (or 272) in place of the uniti and DR’ing the 250, which may well also need a recap, would likely tighten the OP’s bass and improve the treble, rendering an inline tone control unnecessary. Sorry, it’s always fun to spend someone else’s money!

Roger

I own a 500 series system and it just kills me I can’t adjust bass and treble. I dare anyone to listen to these two songs: (1) Zeppelin’s Kashmir (2) Adele’s I Miss You, and then tell me there doesn’t need to be an adjustment. My system sounds wonderful 95% of the time, but on the older stuff SOMETIMES it is just too weak, not enough bass especially at low to moderate volume. I even tried a sub but once again 95% of the time it was unnecessary, but dang Kashmir sure sounded good. My remedy: only listen to Kashmir on my 40 year old Marantz with Klipsch Belle speakers.

1 Like

Hi I’ve tried lots of positions with the speakers to no avail . When funds permit my upgrade path will be a second hand 272 and see how things sound from there , but where does it all end . I’m really beginning to think its my ears that like a wee bit more treble and a bit less bass…we’ll wait and see . It’s taken many years for me to be able to afford my Naim gear ( all second hand ) and I’m thinking the 272 will be my end game and maybe a service on the 250-2 . As I say I enjoyed the system before the Loki , but I enjoy it even more now .

I was considering getting a second one for my main system and running it through the tape monitor for when I am listing to tracks as above and just need to trim them a tad. I would happily lose a little detail for a more enjoyable listenable experience. And for around £260 it’s a no brainier, and really well made too.

Hi Jazz,

I always look for a cheaper solution! Like you I have bought most of my gear 2nd hand, although usually through dealers.

Hope the Schitt does what you need.

M

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.