Tour de France 2024 🇫🇷

Tour de France 2024

Edition 111th

Saturday 29th June to Sunday 21st July

UCI ranking : WorldTour
Total distance = 3,492 kilometres (2,170 miles)
Number of stages = 21
Start location: Florence, Italy
Finish location: Nice, France
Total climbing / elevation gain 52,230 metres
Leader’s jersey colour :yellow_square: Yellow (Maillot Jaune)
2023 winner: Jonas Vingegaard :denmark:
TV coverage (UK) Eurosport, Discovery+
TV coverage (US) NBC Sports, Peacock

<< :fr: >>

click on above image to enlarge ^

:fr:

TOUR DE FRANCE 2024 ROUTE: STAGE-BY-STAGE

Stage <> Date <> Start - Finish <> (Distance) <> Terrain

Stage 1 <> Sat 29th June / Florence, Italy - Rimini, Italy (206km) Hilly
Stage 2 <> Sun 30th June / Cesenatico, Italy - Bologne, Italy (200km) Hilly
Stage 3 <> Mon 1 July / Piacenza, Italy - Turin, Italy (229km) Flat
Stage 4 <> Tue 2nd July / Pinerolo, Italy - Valloire, France (138km) Mountains
Stage 5 <> Wed 3rd July / Saint-Jean-de-Maurienne- Saint-Vulbas (177km) Hilly
Stage 6 <> Thu 4th July / Mâcon - Dijon (163km) Flat
Stage 7 <> Fri 5th July / Nuits-Saint-Georges - Gevrey-Chambertin (25km) ITT
Stage 8 <> Sat 6th July / Semur-en-Auxois - Colombey-les-Deux-Églises (176km) Flat
Stage 9 <> Sun 7th July / Troyes - Troyes (199km) Hilly/Gravel

Monday 8th July = REST DAY

Stage 10 <> Tue 9th July / Orléans|Saint-Amand-Montrond (187km) Flat
Stage 11 <> Wed 10th July / Évaux-les-Bains|Le Lioran (211km) Medium mountains
Stage 12 <> Thu 11th July / Aurillac - Villeneuve-sur-Lot (204km) Flat
Stage 13 <> Fri 12th July / Agen - Pau (171km) Flat
Stage 14 <> Sat 13th July / Pau - Saint-Lary-Soulan Pla d’Adet (152km) Mountains
Stage 15 <> Sun 14th July / Loudenvielle - Plateau de Beille (198km) Mountains

Monday 15th July = REST DAY

Stage 16 <> Tue 16th July / Gruissan|Nîmes (187km) Flat
Stage 17 <> Wed 17th / July Saint-Paul-Trois-Châteaux - Superdévoluy (178km) Mountains
Stage 18 <> Thu 18th July / Gap - Barcelonnette (179km) Hilly
Stage 19 <> Fri 19th July / Embrun - Isola 2000 (145km) Mountains
Stage 20 <> Sat 20th July / Nice -Col de la Couillole (133km) Mountains
Stage 21 <> Sun 21st July / Monaco - Nice (34km) ITT

17 Likes

I’ve got the next 3 weeks booked in with my sofa and TV. Hopefully there won’t be to many clashes with the footie.

5 Likes

The Guide on my TV shows it is Live on ITV 4 (Freeview 026) in the UK, starting at 10.45am on Saturday 29th, and looking at the days ahead, full daily coverage with highlights at 7pm :+1:

4 Likes

Oh no, there goes my spending time plans landscaping the garden :woman_farmer: :potted_plant:

3 Likes

Sir Mark Cavendish presently tied on 34 TdF stage wins for the record equal with Eddy Merckx, but will have around eight opportunities to best this over the three weeks of the event. It won’t be easy for him, up against Mads Pedersen who is said to be in jolly good form oh yes…

12 Likes

Manx Missile for the win! :muscle: :muscle: :crossed_fingers: :crossed_fingers:

4 Likes

Pleased that the trip around Paris is omitted this year. Ending on an ITT could mean that the result is only decided on the last day, which would be good.

4 Likes

And Phillipsen.

3 Likes

May the best Trek rider win :grin:

The rider start list isn’t near finalised at yet,
however the penciled in line up of top ‘sprinter’ suspects in this tour presently include:

PHILIPSEN Jasper / Alpecin - Deceuninck
DE LIE Arnaud / Lotto Dstny
GROENEWEGEN Dylan / Team Jayco AlUla
KRISTOFF Alexander / Uno-X Mobility
BAUHAUS Phil / Bahrain - Victorious
PEDERSEN Mads / Lidl - Trek
COQUARD Bryan / Cofidis
BENNETT Sam / Decathlon AG2R La Mondiale Team
THIJSSEN Gerben / Intermarché - Wanty
VAN DEN BERG Marijn / EF Education - EasyPost

Plus others… such as Sir Cav

I’ll put the start list up when all the teams are confirmed and with race numbers.

5 Likes

I’m not so sure and no idea why this decision was taken, it’s going to look odd not seeing them finishing in Paris.
IMHO a final stage time trial will be far less spectacular than a criterium style thrash around the Champs-Élysées before a bunch sprint conclusion. This is time honoured final stage seems to work okay.
A final stage time trial could frizzle out the tour damp squib.

Also, it’s mean planning a time trial at the end of a gruelling week of mountain stages.
It would seem fairer to have the ITT’s the day after a flat stage or the rest days so all competitors have a more even playing ground having had an easy day before.

Plus this leads to the sprinters issue of what is there for them after stage 16 (?) …3 mountain stages, 1 hilly, and a ITT so nothing for them to continue for so a probably mass exodus of all sprinters not challenging the green jersey…

4 Likes

The regular Paris finish is pretty boring I feel, except for the last lap, like many sprint days where the peloton lets the breakaway hang out front until the decision is to catch them. Of course, sometimes the peloton gets this wrong and we see a breakaway win but mostly it is all about the last few Km. But maybe I am in the minority in preferring hilly and mountain days. I would agree though, a sprint day just before the last TT would be more likely to keep the sprinters engaged to the end.

2 Likes

The move to Nice for the final stage is down, I think, to Paris having to prepare for the Olympic Games.

The last TdF TT final stage (1986) led to the Tours closest ever finish, when Lemond beat Hinault by just 8 seconds. I’m not sure whether that will be repeated again; this years time trial is shorter than that one, at 35km. I quite like the Champs Elysee last day procession and group sprint, but this gives some scope for some late GC movement. We’ll see…

1 Like

Right, move to Nice is due to the Olympic Games.

1968, also a close finish (38 seconds) when the Dutch Jan Janssens took the yellow shirt fdom the Belgian Herman Van Springel that last racing day. The stage was also a time race as the case of Fignon/Lemond.

Winning the last stage in Paris is eternal fame for every winner.

2 Likes

Lemond beat Laurent Fignon by 8 seconds in the final TT. Lemond beat BH by about 3 minutes in the GC.

I meant Fignon. Gone too soon…

1 Like

The second series of Netflix’s Tour de France: Unchained is a good series to get the juices running for Saturday.
Haven’t seen it all yet but if it continues as good as the 1st series it’s certainly worth watching :+1:

2 Likes

Deleted

I will be tuning in via ITV, will not give Discovery+ my money. I was a subscriber to GCN+ until Discovery/Warners decided to cancel that service last year, remove all the excellent GCN films and expect me to pay a heck of a lot more for less content (I’m only interested in cycling). Now Discovery/Warner have sold the GCN youTube channel back to the original owners and lots have lost their jobs!

2 Likes

<< :fr: >> Start-list for Tour de France 2024 << :fr: >>

(click on images to expand :mag_right: )

4 Likes

Teams presentation with the backdrop of Firenze is beautiful.