Traffic light food labelling

Moving on from E numbers, does anyone else find the traffic light system of food labelling pretty useless in general as I still have to flip to the nutritional info to get the real detail I need such as added sugars/total carb content.

There are so many things wrong with food labelling in my view, but others may find this system useful?

Indeed - not fit for my purpose, but it may help others.
I prefer to source from local producers, but that is my privilege as I have the time and interest to cook from scratch thus avoiding most additives and preservatives.
The issue of cheap food is tricky; for example a local abattoir sells whole chicken at a little under £2. I doubt whether that covers costs of an intensive system. But free range, never mind organic goes at around £12 a bird. Any processed foods come with additive / preservatives, choosing the most appropriate for your own lifestyle choices is difficult.

Indeed, and I far prefer cooking fresh food myself, though not possible say at work where canteen food is high carb/salt starchy rubbish such as curry and rice/chips, pasta, full ‘English’ breakfasts and so forth with the salad bar being particularly anaemic/uninspiring and generally sold out within a short time.

Consequently I pick up some ready meals as a lesser evil on occasion especially as portion sizes are more sensible than ‘pile it high’ with chips in the canteen.

Also those ready meals are quite handy for feeding the kids, especially when they’re fussy and rarely want the same tea - something Mrs AC has sadly let them get used to when I’ve tried to insist they have the same meal as everyone else but there you go.

I must admit apart from the plastic waste I’m also concerned at how much stuff we have in plastic microwaveable packs as the plastic must impart something to the food either in taste or potentially compounds with adverse metabolic effects.

If only politicians had the balls to ban pre-processed ready meals we’d probably all be better off financially and healthwise.

1 Like

AC,

We have offered our kids one escape if they really don’t like the food: muesly with yoghurt.

Our approach is that we don’t buy these pre-prepared foods, but buy loads of vegetables. The trick which works well with our kids is to start providing them the cucumbers, carrots, paprikas before dinner. So when they are still playing minecraft / watching peppa pig etc … they already get their most essential food. Then, during dinner we don’t have to worry that much about what they eat.

What also worked well, is that we involved our kids in preparing the food. We made together a family recepe for tomato soup and they love to prepare it themselves - and they eat well since the prepared it.

Kids eating all kinds of fish, vegetables, creme fraiche, shrimps, making their own soup / fries / mayonnaise it is all well possible.

If I would summarize it, I would suggest to bring FUN in preparing food and the rest is history.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.