Troika anyone?

I ended up sending my Arkiv B to ExpertStylus for retipping. Am now playing with a WilsonBenesch Carbon 1 (on the Aro with Prefix). Very transparent, revealing, detailed, precise. High end was very tight and sharp at first but seemed to break in relatively quickly.

3 Likes

It’s just back.

11 Likes

Mine came like this

3 Likes

That looks like the box a DV17D3 came in.

Sure. Same box and packing it was sent in.

For anyone interesting in studying the inside of my Troika, just pop over to “Show us what’s inside”, just posted. Enjoy…

#[ Edit ] Added the link to this post - Show us what’s inside - here…

Ready to go…

Any thoughts or comments on length of time to “run in” and settle down to best performance?

13 Likes

Kuma! I’ve been trying to contact you through the MyBriks website… no luck. Drop me a PM…some interesting Brik news…

I’ve just bought a shagged Troika, so it’s off to Goldring soon…

2 Likes

Tim!
LTNS!
Will send email. ( hope your email still works )

Mybriks site needs a major upgrade. :grimacing:

P.S. I got a second shagged Troika which needs to go to Goldring, too!

2 Likes

Excellent!! Speak later!

I have found memories of my Troika and it took until the release of the Kandid until I was ever over the moon and satisfied with a cartridge again!

Richard

1 Like

Err… no kiddin’ there!!!

Workin’ on it! :art:

My Troika has just come back from a Goldring service, looking in very fine fettle: they even touched up the paint!!!

Can’t wait to get it fitted – I haven’t heard one for about thirty years!

9 Likes

Looks great Tim.
How long did you have to wait for the rebuild? I reckon David is swamped with orders.

1 Like

Kuma – about three weeks: not too shabby, really… I’ve sent you an email with my latest developments ;0)

Wish I’d never traded in my Linn Axis. Just missed the ability to buy a Troika when wages started coming in :neutral_face:

1 Like

It should not be bright loaded into a Naim MC input with 470ohm (but brighter via K560ohm.)
If anything it should be 1/2 db down or neutral in the M/R presence area this has some effect on exposing a rather delicate treble which does not go into high peak which is so
common to many MC cartridges.
To my knowledge Goldring do the closest rebuild to the original but they do a fair bit to it
like replacing the coil windings, i don’t see why you would notice much improvement after
5 hours use.
Edit. Some thing i keep overlooking is those fabulous “unbreakable” lead out wires which
removes all the very audible effects of various H/Shell wires which contaminate the sound of all other cartridges.

2 Likes

To be fair my perception of it being bright was on a 20 year old memory before my son trashed the cantilever. As the Troika ran in it sweetened and I’m not sure I’d now call it bright . Also a lot of water has run under that paticular bridge since that post. I no longer have the NAC72 but a NAC282 +HC Dr + ‘K’ stageline.

HANNA MOVING COIL.
I have some info for anyone with a Hanna SL. I bought one 2 weeks ago out of curiosity and also to see if i needed a reality check!
Cartridges in recent use are.
TROIKA Elliptical (permanent LP12)
A.T. ART 9. Shibata Plus (sent back)
ATOC9 XSH. Shibata
ATOC9 MK3. Line Contact
VDH. DDT MK2. Line Contact Plus
HANNA SL. Shibata
I have 3 Head Shells for Orbe SME 309 (200 GBP each!)
Set the Hanna up recommended TW. 2g (no range given!) Bias 2g.
RESULT. Flat response, plain sound with the oddest Treble ever heard from any cartridge
like striking a piece of Aluminium. Probably would beat it with a Dennon 103 Conical Stylus!
Reduced Bias to 1.5g was slight improvement. Time to find out what is going on pulled out a
Test LP at this setting it tracked the Max +18db Band. Good result as some MC simply fly off
the LP at 18db. You do not need to track this as only 3 LP are recorded at this level and 2
of them are Test Discs.
Reduced TW. from 2g to 1.75g ( Bias 1.5g ) and put music back on, Treble not perfect but 100% better plus a few more harmonics so a less plain sound.
Went back to Test Disc perfect tracking of 14db Band with a minor miss track on 18db Band.
Suggest Hanna up date whatever it is they use to Test cartridges with!