Troika anyone?

The Uphorik would definitely be better; that said, I also think there are more modern cartridges that outperform the Troika. However, for something like this I would go with a period piece to match the cartridge.

However, if you’re trying to keep it Naim, the Prefix K suggestions are also sound. A Stageline would not be better (and it’s one more box), and I’ve never been too impressed with the Superline for the cost. I’d much rather have an Uphorik vs that if going upmarket (and that’s what I chose at the time for an Akiva back when I had one after a comparative demo).

1 Like

There lies the conundrum. Modern or classic. New or restored. There’s no doubt technology moves forward and newer items have more to offer, over time. However, there is also great quality, to be celebrated, in just good design. It’s also a romantic and nostalgic thing.

2 Likes

I also tended to prefer power to the Prefix from the NAC52 AUX2 over a dedicated Hicap (as did Roy, IIRC) - it sounded a bit more “together”.

A secondhand Prefix K has to be one of the best bang for the buck phono stages for use with a Troika, especially if you have a pre-amp such as the 52, 252 or 552 with a free AUX2 socket.

6 Likes

Hi Alley cat let me say straight off i have no experience Arrow arm or its tracking ability but by far tracking problems are caused by set up (any cartridge you like) not equipment when using Ittok arm. And yes i do have a Troika all orig used for decades magnificent cartridge one of most musical ever made never heard it mistrack even on LPs recorded at 45 RPM.
Regarding off set to RIGHT cantilevers some builders may do this on purpose reason being when Bias applied cantilever will line up to center with correct Generator alignment, so a off set to LEFT one will be even more so when playing ( hope i got this right) Excess bias can deform the rubber suspension over time to the Left.
I am appalled that with so much equipment and experience here and so many complaints about misstracking no one has mentioned set up with a Test Record which will give you 90% of optimum in a few minutes. What do you do
sit on the edge of your seat with a high velocity record doing adjustments for misstracking
continually damaging it and then later use it to deduce tracking ability? The Troika with the Left off set cantilever yes it is bent or the suspension tie wire has loosened in which case it would sit Very Low on the record. With a non damaged cartridge the arm jumping in is
incorrect Bias/Asmith set up and make sure T.T.is not in a corner where sound waves build up. If you liked your Troika before with a elliptical stylus you will like it just as much with a new one or a close equivalent, a Line contact stylus Boron cantilever etc. what ever else
they do will alter the tonal balance it is to easy to end up with an apprentices copy rather than the original Rembrandt.
Linns move away from the Troika sound came about when they started to make CD Players
having decided they now had The Gold Standard they did not want the T.T. to sound different.

1 Like

Can anyone say how much a Linn Troika cost, (back in the day) ?

Even better, if anyone has a copy of a Linn Price List - 1986 to 1994 - showing price for this item - please post and share.

Thanks in advance.

p.s. mine is 1992.

According to my dog-eared copy of the second edition of the Hi-Fi Review Buyers’ Guide, the Troika was £546 in 1987.

2 Likes

Thank you @Corry that’s really helpful :+1:

Anyone else help with a price for a Troika in 1992 ?

Just for fun, here is a price list from June 1986, which I found in the bottom of my Linn LP12 box.
Looks like my Afromosia LP12 was £449.50 and the Linn Ittok LVII was £347.30.

Interesting to note - it is nicely printed on quality, heavy weight and textured paper.
(Back in the day, maybe printed by Linn and distributed out to the dealers, to give to customers)!

5 Likes

Hifi Answers quoted the Troika at £719 in July 1990.

Hifi Choice quoted it at £798 in August 1992.

2 Likes

Hi @Richard.Dane you’re a star :star:
Thanks so much for that info.

Imagine my reaction when I discovered that my son (then aged 14) had tried scratching with dad’s Linn/Ekos/Troika in 1997…hmmm. The good news is that the re-built Troika came back from Goldring in April this year. Happy ever after.

6 Likes

Nice story. Great that you have it back, after all these years.

How are getting along with your rebuilt Troika?

To be honest, it sounds different to what I remember but it’s worth pointing out that was over twenty years ago. It’s a slightly brighter presentation I think. However we’re in a different house and I have different speakers so a fair comparison’s not possible.

1 Like

I ended up sending my Arkiv B to ExpertStylus for retipping. Am now playing with a WilsonBenesch Carbon 1 (on the Aro with Prefix). Very transparent, revealing, detailed, precise. High end was very tight and sharp at first but seemed to break in relatively quickly.

3 Likes

It’s just back.

11 Likes

Mine came like this

3 Likes

That looks like the box a DV17D3 came in.

Sure. Same box and packing it was sent in.

For anyone interesting in studying the inside of my Troika, just pop over to “Show us what’s inside”, just posted. Enjoy…

#[ Edit ] Added the link to this post - Show us what’s inside - here…

Ready to go…

Any thoughts or comments on length of time to “run in” and settle down to best performance?

13 Likes

Kuma! I’ve been trying to contact you through the MyBriks website… no luck. Drop me a PM…some interesting Brik news…

I’ve just bought a shagged Troika, so it’s off to Goldring soon…

2 Likes