Troika anyone?

I wonder if the Troika’s sound signature gets changed as so much face lifting has been done?

1 Like

That’s impressive.
Looks like Dave @ Goldring has done a pretty good job refinishing that metal work with a close matched paint.

1 Like

Pretty much most of the coil and internal parts get refurbished.
So, it is practically a new cartridge (inside) coming back…
But, not sure how a bit of paint on the external metal casing can affect the sound signature.

1 Like

This is what I really meant. :slight_smile: Very impressive work, but the original SQ may not be the same? Maybe better, maybe worse?

Yes, I was delighted when it came back touched up like that…

@anon23425299
Hope this helps…

2 Likes

I don’t think anyone can say this for sure.
Every single Troika around today won’t sound as it did when it was new. Even a unused cartridge will suffer from aged rubber in its suspension. Used ones even more and likely a worn stylus and dirt inside its generator.
A refurbished cartridge won’t have any of these problems and will sound different because of it.

5 Likes

I agree but an interesting flip side to this is that Roy George (who has three turntables) has an old Troika bolted to an ARO on one of them :thinking:

Knowing Roy, he probably has a few NOS Troikas standing by for reference purposes.

I do recall trying a bunch of Troikas out at the factory. IIRC three had been rebuilt and one was an original. Favourite by far was the original, although that could of course just been because the rebuilt ones needed more time on them. What was most interesting though was that the rebuilds, which should have theoretically all been pretty much the same, all sounded a bit different. I guess such is the fine art of building (and rebuilding) such a fine instrument as a moving coil cartridge.

5 Likes

Very interesting Richard. Thank you for sharing.

Update…

From November, when our updated LP12 returned home, we’ve probably passed the 100+ hours by now. It’s all sounding rather good.

It’s been a pleasure to have our LP12 home again, after a year away. Sounding the best it has ever been and really impressed with the Troika.

Also, following a recent house move, to have all our records out to browse and play. We’ve spent most of our leisure time playing through our vinyl collection.

7 Likes

Where is the Troika from? New, reconditioned, or whatever?

Hello @graham55

Sure, the Troika is part of a story that’s been unfolding for a while. Namely, a project to refurbish and also update my 1986 LP12. I’ve posted several times in this thread with progress on the Troika part. If you are interested, just browse up the thread page a little. (You shouldn’t need to go far).

To answer your question, this Troika was original in 1992. It was recently sent off for rebuild with Goldring. There are some photos of the rebuild work posted.

Hope that helps?

KR
R

1 Like

Thanks very much for that. I lust after a Troika, even though I’ve just had a Dynavector Te Kaitora Rua. fitted to my LP12. I haven’t heard it yet, as the NAPs are being difficult!

I don’t know where I’ll end up on this.

1 Like

Understood.

The Troika is a beautiful looking design. (In my humble opinion).
It sounds lovely. To my ears, quite balanced. (Our room, our system, our ears, etc.). Although, I have rather limited experiences of cartridges over the years. So, I guess I’m not the best person to judge.

We are really enjoying playing a lot of vinyl again.

My turntable is looking very similar, but with an Aro.

I have been listening to the Troika via a pair of ‘k’ cards or a Chord Huei. Thoroughly enjoyable and a step up on the Dynavector DV20 I have been using.

1 Like

I decided on the Audio Origami PU7TI- that appeared to give the balance of traits. Very happy with the results.

1 Like

Can you share a picture?
I imagine a Troika looks stunning paired with a Naim Aro.
After all, they were made for each other.

Which do you prefer - the Naim K cards or Chord Huei ?

It seems the K is a perfect match for the Troika. We also have a pair of “K” cards, inside our “new to us” Naim NAC 72(k) pre-amp. In fact, we have have two pairs. After a little searching, I found a later NA323 K v.5 and added this during our 2021 Olive project.

Although, at the moment, we are using our Rega Aria instead. To our ears, it is a slightly better solution and this is in place for now, (as it’s not being used elsewhere in the house). But, I also think we would be happy to use the NAC72 internal cards too. When we start using our Rega TT again, we might move the Aria over and revert to NAC72 internal N323/5 K phono cards. (With another advantage that it’s one less box too).

Internal phono cards are such an elegant solution. Although, a really good external phono stage can prove better. Now that our upgraded LP12 is back, we have been considering other phono amp’s. Our LP12 is now a fine source and might benefit from better a phono stage than the two options we have currently.

1 Like

I’ll be back home tomorrow & I’ll post a piccy.

The ‘k’ cards have the well known presentation, including a slight upper bass emphasis.

The Huei has a flat and more extended frequency response. This results in vocals being slightly cooler, but results in slightly better dynamics & resolution.

1 Like

In case this is of interest, here is a picture of the Naim NA323/5 K boards, just after service work.

The work involved removing and replacing just a few components, as shown.

2 Likes