Trying out ADOT fibre and Network Acoustics ENO

The Linn instruction manual which comes with the unit.

I know that, I own the Linn Organik, this is the excerpt, it does not say it sounds “better”.

Connectivity

• The optical Ethernet connection improves audio performance by providing complete isolation from noisy network components

In my dictionary “improves” = better
as always your mileage may vary

I use both. IMO, optical provides better clarity, more top end attacks, but somehow loses some prat. So improves does not mean better.

1 Like

We each hear things differently.
It seems like the Linn engineers feel things are “improved”. You do not. To each his own.
At this level of playback (dCS, Linn,Naim, Chord DAVE) they all become simply different flavors.

I will give credit to the UK audio manufacturers. An incredible group of world class digital players coming out of that island :laughing:

2 Likes

ER only hard-wired between Ubiquiti router and Roon endpoint: better
Shunyata cable replaces Blue Jeans at endpoint: OK, yes
Cisco 2960 inserted between router and ER using fiber: better still
10Gtek media converter replaces Cisco: not as good. Removed
ENO Ag filter and cable replaces Shunyata after ER and Cisco (fiber): 3D soundstage dramatically improved
2nd Cisco inserted by cable between ER and ENO: expanded soundstage more “solid” which I prefer

1 Like

So: Router- Cisco- ER- Cisco- ENO. It’s a locomotive! :smiley:
As long as it works for you, it’s the most important.

1 Like

Yes, this combination is sounding pretty wonderful right now. But there are many other factors at play, especially the power supplies as you’ve noted. Except for the new 12v iPowerX on the first Cisco, most SMPS are gone: from the fiber ONT, router…all of the way to my active Special Edition speakers. And they get a boost in dynamics from Denali power conditioning.

The other major influence are room correction filters from homeaudiofidelity.com which are implemented using Roon’s convolution engine. Plus, I am trying out a new filter he is developing to minimize distortion from speaker cabinetry and ports.

1 Like

When you say ‘by cable’, do you mean via Ethernet cable?

:+1: BJC CAT6

1 Like

Ok, so you have installed a fibre link that cuts all noise from electrical cables, then improved SQ by adding copper Ethernet cable (or two?) from there to your DAC?

(Does the ENO have a copper Ethernet cable as part of it?)

Yes. First, a Cisco switch is connected by Fast Ethernet (not Gigabit) to the router and provides a fiber link to the ER (the only Gigabit segment) which connects from it’s B port to a second Cisco using copper. ENO Ag plugs into the Cisco. “Ag” refers to the silver/copper mix included in their Ethernet cable that, in turn, plugs into the ENO filter, which has a short pigtail with RJ45 into the endpoint.

I thought the main purpose of having a fibre link was to cut noise from your home network?

But then you are adding back noise from the 2 (or 3) ethernet cables that come after that, e.g. because those cables are linked to the mains by the switches and because the cables act as aerials.

Of course, anything might sound good in any system to the listener, but it’s odd to add back those cables and plugged in items after a fibre link.

2 Likes

@JimDog, this is the only comment from you that I’ve found sounds reasonable. :slight_smile:

That is why dCS specifies UNSHIELDED

This is why I have my ER as the last item in the chain with its B port feeding straight into the ND555 - i.e. the ER is doing a final clean of noise just before the streamer.

I would have thought the same theory would hold true in deploying the ENO, again, at the end of the chain, between the last switch, in this case the ER, and the streamer.

Would this also hold true of the ADOT, in that it would be best to deploy that at the streamer end of the ethernet chain?

My limited understanding of eradicating noise in ethernet networks might, however, be letting me down.

I am still concerned that, with the noise reduction abilities of the EtherREGEN and ND555, there is little (or reduced) need for either the ENO or ADOT. I have however read some fora where folks have heard a benefit (from the ENO) in addition to having an EtherREGEN.

BTW @JimDog, the ENO is a passive filter and has no fibre. It is the ADOT that is the fibre link.

Good points. Maybe it still sounds good because I’ve taken a few steps to minimize ground plane noise and electromagnetic or radio frequency interference:

1. Digital audio gear has its own dedicated circuits with Shunyata power conditioning. Cheap switch mode supplies are banished, and appropriate grounding is employed.
  2. Potentially noisy items, like the NUC running Roon core, are kept physically away from sensitive stuff, and on the other side of the fiber link and ER moat.
  3. Ethernet cables don’t seem to be acting as aerials; in fact the ENO system is supposed to be a filter for eliminating such problems. I don’t know how it works, but now I can’t live without it.

Might you try moving either your fibre link or your ENO to the streamer end of your chain?

ENO is at the very end. It’s just the 2nd Cisco between ER and ENO that has everyone scratching their heads…

Apologies, my bad.

Looking again at your set up it seems that both the fibre link and the ER are inserted upstream, away from the streamer. Might you try moving either/both of these to just before the streamer, as both are intended to clean up noise making its way into the streamer?

The B port on my ER feeds straight into my streamer (ND555), and that is how the ER is intended to be used.