Trying to automate NAC 282 from NDX... And failing

No RMA on the dealer invoice, but I recall seeing such on a sticker on the box. I’ll take a look tomorrow (it’s in the attic) and let you know.

Thanks again.

Mark

If you are willing to post the serial number of the unit, I can also use that ?

Regards
Neil.

No problem, I’m a bit obsessive about keeping notes & I’m on the beta test team & you need those setting each time I run a factory reset. So 1 minute to copy/paste & you have it.
Hope you get it sorted.

Got the RMA: 53162. Should be NAC 282 service on that (53162/1) plus a NAP 250 DR upgrade and service (53162/2).

Thanks, Mark

Smashing - leave it with me, I’ll check it out & get back to you as soon as I can (probably tomorrow evening).

Regards
Neil.

Mark - while you are waiting for Neil to check out the service details, have you tried ‘remote out 2’ on the NDX just to rule out any issues with ‘remote out 1’. Worth checking if you haven’t done so already.

1 Like

Hi James - Definitely worth checking, but, alas, no joy.

Oh well - worth a try anyway. Hope you get it sorted ok

James

Hi Mark,

The NAP250 had the reservoir caps & logo replaced + DR channels fitted.
The NAC282 had tantalum & bipolar caps, logo replaced + the mod that we are discussing was applied.

I have seen a few examples of preamps where the RC5 input socket has been wired out of phase, this will hinder the operation big time. Unfortunately, you would need to remove the cover & upload a pic for me to check this. It is possible this wiring error could have slipped through the net while the 282 was at HQ. :flushed:

Regards
Neil.

Hi Neil,

Again, many thanks for your help root causing this problem. I really appreciate it.

Thanks for detail on what was done when the units were back at base - good news that the mod was applied when the 282 was serviced. I’ll see if I can pluck up the courage to remove the cover over the weekend :cry:. Watch this space…

Mark

No problem - I’ll keep an eye out.

Regards
Neil.

You could always make you own cable and just wire up one end reverse phase
to test.

1 Like

Hi Neil,

Easier than I expected to remove the cover. A thing of beauty inside. Not being sure what you needed a pic of, attached is a selection.

Thanks, Mark

1 Like

Bingo!
Embarrassingly, the green and grey wires for the RC5 input are transposed at the PCB end - the green wire should be towards the rear of the chassis.
I think you have 3 options:

1. Return it to Naim with a slap on the wrist for an foc fix.
  2. If you have a soldering iron, switch the wires round.
  3. Make a lead as suggested above with one end transposed.

Please accept my apologies regarding this oversight.

Regards
Neil.

5 Likes

Excellent - thanks for root causing the problem Neil. I’ll give the cable option a go first (thanks HiFiFoFum) - sounds the easiest. I’m not keen on poking around inside a £5K preamp with my soldering skills :cry:, and returning to Naim has a high hassle factor (although will do that if necessary).

Neil, I really cannot thank you enough for the help and advice you’ve given, and for ultimately diagnosing the issue. I’m inferring that you work for Naim, and this really is a level of service that is above and beyond. Just brilliant.

2 Likes

No problem Mark, glad to help.

Just a shame we missed it - we’ve let ourselves down! :frowning_face:

Regards
Neil.

2 Likes

Brilliant, this is how it should be…great stuff Neil. @charliehenderson …keep this motivation going forward.

Delighted to report that with the transposed cable automation is now working perfectly. And I know I’ve said it a lot, but thanks again.

Cheers, Mark

Excellent news!
Glad it is working ok.
Again, please except my humblest apologies on behalf of Naim for the oversight.

Regards
Neil.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.