Trying to browse by Choir, Period or Orchestra in Asset x86, Naim programme

I set up tags in MP3Tag for Orchestra (though want to change that to ensemble), Conductor, Choir, Genre, Period (Baroque, Romantic etc), Style (symphony, Opera, Concerto - piano etc)
I can browse by Conductor fine.
That’s set up in Asset container with A-Z ticked, ‘No Track Listing’ ticked and Album as as child of that container with ‘No Track Listing’ ticked. The Conductor container shows up blue.

I tried to do the same with Period, Orchestra, Choir.
If I select Orchestra >all then all albums of all genres are listed.
If I select Orchestra >A or other letter then all albums of all genres are listed.
Similar results for Choir, Orchestra
Is it something in Asset or is it MP3Tag?

Blocks for suggesting Roon.

@UQ1user Take a look at the thread I posted in Dec 2021 - it may do exactly what you want (except period, style). I am using AssetUPnP R7.4 (Windows).

See topic Changing metadata to improve Classical Music presentation - Streaming Audio - Naim Audio - Community

Adding Period and Style would be simple but I have found few albums with Period metadata (Modern, Baroque, Classic and Romantic so far).

1 Like

Asset can do exactly what you want.
You need to do two things

1. Ensure all the fields you want are identified in Asset.
  2. Then configure the Asset tree to show the options you want.

If you nest the artist, orchestra, choir etc. under genre it allows you to separate classical from the other genres. I will post the detailed Asset info and instructions later.

Are you running on 32bit or 64bit machine, and is it running as local account or service?

1 Like

@UQ1user AssetUPnP keeps its files in a folder “uMediaLibrary”.
Seach your c drive for this folder and then show the files.

There are 2 relevant files:-
“MediaDatabaseFields7a.txt” holds a list/definition of any metadata fields you want to use. So add ones that are missing.
“AssetUPnPDefinedBrowseTree7.txt” holds the Asset browse tree. You can change the Asset browse tree in the AssetUPnP configuration utility.

IMPORTANT After making changes “refresh the data” and “Restart Asset” using the AssetUPnP configuration utility. This may take a (long) while.
If using a 64bit machine use a “local account”.

MediaDatabaseFields7a.txt

artist
album artist
album
genre
composer
conductor
title,TEXT
year,INTEGER
track,TEXT
disc,TEXT
type,TEXT
rating,INTEGER
compilation,INTEGER
bits,INTEGER
channels,INTEGER
frequency,INTEGER
bitrate,INTEGER
lengthms,INTEGER
size,INTEGER
work
movement name,TEXT
movement number,INTEGER
orchestra,TEXT
soloists,TEXT
chorus,TEXT
label,TEXT
period,TEXT

Note I have added Period which was not included.

AssetUPnPDefinedBrowseTree7.txt

Artist{no_track_list}{a_to_z}
Artist\Album by Release
Album Artist{no_track_list}{a_to_z}
Album Artist\Album by Release
Genre{no_track_list}
Genre\Album Artist{no_track_list}
Genre\Album Artist\Album
Genre\Composer{no_track_list}
Genre\Composer\Album
Genre\Composer\Album Artist{no_track_list}
Genre\Composer\Album Artist\Album
Genre\Conductor{no_track_list}
Genre\Conductor\Album
Genre\Orchestra{no_track_list}
Genre\Orchestra\Album
Genre\Soloists{no_track_list}
Genre\Soloists\Album
Genre\Chorus{no_track_list}
Genre\Chorus\Album
Genre\Period{no_track_list}
Genre\Period\Album
Genre\Jukebox Track Selection
Playlists
Jukebox Track Selection
New Albums
Title{a_to_z}
Composer{no_track_list}
Composer\Album by Release
Composer\Artist{no_track_list}
Composer\Artist\Album by Release
Composer\Orchestra{no_track_list}
Composer\Orchestra\Album
Composer\Soloists{no_track_list}
Composer\Soloists\Album
Additional
Additional\New Tracks
Additional\Recent Albums
Additional\Recent Tracks
Additional\Top Artists
Additional\Top Artists\Album
Additional\Top Albums
Additional\Top Tracks
Additional\Least Played Albums
Additional\Least Played Tracks
Additional\Jukebox Track Selection
Additional\Jukebox Album Selection
Additional\TuneIn Internet Radio
Additional\Album Artist / Album{no_track_list}{a_to_z}
Additional\Album Artist / Album\Album
Additional\Album by Release
Additional\Album by Artist
Additional\Compilation{no_track_list}
Additional\Compilation\root
Additional\Bits{no_track_list}
Additional\Bits\root
Additional\Channels{no_track_list}
Additional\Channels\root
Additional\Contributing Artist
Additional\Conductor{no_track_list}
Additional\Conductor\root
Additional\Composer / Work{no_track_list}{a_to_z}
Additional\Composer / Work\Work
Additional\Frequency{no_track_list}
Additional\Frequency\root
Additional\Rating{no_track_list}
Additional\Rating\root
Additional\Type{no_track_list}
Additional\Type\root
Additional\Year{no_track_list}
Additional\Year\root
Additional\Folders & Filename Browsing
Additional\PC Sound Capture [WASAPI]
Additional\Stream As
Additional\Stream As\root
Additional[Details]
Dynamic Browsing
Dynamic Browsing\Artist{a_to_z}
Dynamic Browsing\Composer{a_to_z}
Dynamic Browsing\Conductor{a_to_z}
Dynamic Browsing\Genre
Dynamic Browsing\Style
Dynamic Browsing\Year
Dynamic Browsing\Rating
Dynamic Browsing\Title{a_to_z}

I have added Period as a field
asset-browse-2

asset-browse3

asset-classical3

2 Likes

Thank you all. I’m using Asset R7.4 (latest) on a 64bit Windows 11 machine, running as a local account. I copy whatever the configuration is in the local account to the run as a service account, though I rarely run asset as a service.
Naim programme on Android (Galaxy handset)
From the responses I can use whatever tag names I want then, they don’t have to be in the ID3 or whatever tag standard. That was my main worry because I don’t want to have to retag thousands of albums.
C:\Users\Username\AppData\Roaming\dBpoweramp\uMediaLibrary\AssetUPnPDefinedBrowseTreev7.txt
Artist{no_track_list}{a_to_z}
Artist\Artist{no_track_list}{a_to_z}
Artist\Album
Album{a_to_z}
Title{a_to_z}
Composer{no_track_list}{a_to_z}
Composer\Album
Genre{no_track_list}
Genre\Period
Genre\root
Genre\Style
Genre\Style\Album{no_track_list}
Style{no_track_list}{a_to_z}
Style\Album
Album Artist{no_track_list}{a_to_z}
Dynamic Browsing
Dynamic Browsing\Artist{a_to_z}
Dynamic Browsing\Composer{a_to_z}
Dynamic Browsing\Conductor{a_to_z}
Dynamic Browsing\Orchestra{no_track_list}{a_to_z}
Dynamic Browsing\Choir{no_track_list}{a_to_z}
Dynamic Browsing\Genre
Dynamic Browsing\Style
Dynamic Browsing\Year
Dynamic Browsing\Rating
Dynamic Browsing\Period
TuneIn Internet Radio
Playlists
Additional
Additional\New Albums
Additional\New Tracks
Additional\Recent Albums
Additional\Recent Tracks
Additional\Top Artists
Additional\Top Artists\Album
Additional\Top Albums
Additional\Top Tracks
Additional\Least Played Albums
Additional\Least Played Tracks
Additional\Jukebox Track Selection
Additional\Jukebox Album Selection
Additional\Album Artist / Album{no_track_list}{a_to_z}
Additional\Album Artist / Album\Album
Additional\Album by Release
Additional\Album by Artist
Additional\Compilation{no_track_list}
Additional\Compilation\root
Additional\Bits{no_track_list}
Additional\Bits\root
Additional\Channels{no_track_list}
Additional\Channels\root
Additional\Contributing Artist
Additional\Conductor{no_track_list}
Additional\Conductor\root
Additional\Composer / Work{no_track_list}{a_to_z}
Additional\Composer / Work\Work
Additional\Frequency{no_track_list}
Additional\Frequency\root
Additional\Rating{no_track_list}
Additional\Rating\root
Additional\Type{no_track_list}
Additional\Type\root
Additional\Year{no_track_list}
Additional\Year\root
Additional\Folders & Filename Browsing
Additional\PC Sound Capture [WASAPI]
Additional\Stream As
Additional\Stream As\root
Additional[Details]
New Albums
Jukebox Track Selection
Top Artists
Top Artists\Album
Top Albums
Period{no_track_list}{a_to_z}
Period\Album
Orchestra{a_to_z}
Conductor{no_track_list}{a_to_z}
Conductor\Album
Choir{no_track_list}{a_to_z}
Choir\Album

I’ve tried all the combinations of {no_track_list}, {a_to_z}, neither or both. refreshed the library, restarted Asset and restarted te Naim programme.

Ah, that’s where I’m going wrong. I didn’t know I had to declare tag fields in Asset.
Presumably the declarations are not case sensitive?

I have:
C:\Users\Username\AppData\Roaming\dBpoweramp\uMediaLibraryMediaDatabaseFieldsv7a.txt
artist
album artist
album
genre
composer
conductor
title,TEXT
year,INTEGER
track,TEXT
disc,TEXT
type,TEXT
rating,INTEGER
compilation,INTEGER
bits,INTEGER
channels,INTEGER
frequency,INTEGER
bitrate,INTEGER
lengthms,INTEGER
size,INTEGER
work
movement name,TEXT
movement number,INTEGER

Do I need to define the conductor field as text? The composer fiekd isn’t but I can browse by conductor.

I need to add:
Opus
Orchestra (but change to ensemble to cover quartets, trios etc)
Choir
Choirmaster
Libretto
Text_Language
Libretto_based_on
Soloists *which currently contains the credits)
Credits (multi line text)
Premiere_date
Premiere_city
Premiere venue
Recording venue
Recording_dates
Recording_city
Label
Series
Catalogue
Discogs_ID
Musicbrainz_ID

I probably can’t do much with many of those fields in the Naim programme but I put them in MP3tag for future use, should software come out that I can read the data and I get round to buying a tablet and have a display worth reading on.
The Naim streamers only work with the Naim application?

You only have to declare those fields in asset that you want to see in Asset.
Asset fields are not case sensitive, but Asset capitalises the initial letter so period becomes Period.
I think the fields default to text but you can define them.
Orchestra is a recognised tag and I use it for trios, ensembles etc.
Similarly Chorus rather than Choir.
Multi-line credits - not sure about limits but would be single text I think.

You should see the modified browse tree under Asset on the UPnP source on the Naim App.

OK if running as “local account” - there was R7.0 issue with 64bit and Service option caused by Windows moving file location as it was a 32bit App running on 64bit machine. Not sure if changed on R7.4 but with Local Account you will be OK. Perhaps therefore avoid Service option.

1 Like

Mostly sorted out now but it took an age to refresh on Asset. I’m thinking of putting music on solid state (with spinning rust backup) as I quite often load my whole collection onto MP3Tag to endure fields are populated consistently across directories and that can take nearly an hour.
Thank you very much

I’ll probably come back and ask about tagging mentioned in the other thread:
(Changing metadata to improve Classical Music presentation)

1 Like

Yes, it depends on the speed of your machine and importantly the size of your music library.
Glad you are making progress. Your plans were certainly extensive.

I wanted to search for Beethoven’s Op.131 today.
I do not have an opus field but you indicated you are planning to use one.
I was unsure to call it Opus or Work Number.
I can then add it as an option nested under Composer.
Are you including the other standards beside “Opus” i.e. BWV, D etc. as opus numbers?
What standards have you adopted for it?

Yes, I’ve used the field name Opus but it’s populated with WWV, BWV, S. x D. x H. x as well as all the the Op. x
I’m not sure what happens if I try to search for a work which has two different catalogue numbers e.g. K and KV (Mozart) or BB.100, Sz.94 (Bartok).
Many tags when I first ripped the discs with sBPowerAmp came in from the cloud with // or was it \ between two different entries in a cell. e.g. BB.100// Sz.85 ot BB.100\Sz.85 I’m not sure it that syntax lists tracks under both “BB.100” and Sz.85 in Asset or othe UPnP DLNA servers.
There isn’t really a manual to consult.
I might not search by Opus but it’s there and it’s handy:
to get a sense of when in the composers career the work was composed.
when I listen in cycles, e.g symphony cycles and do a chronological cycle then I guess I could use it as a search term.
Lotta scrolling through hundreds of cantatas to get to Brandenburg.
In non-classical music e.g. London Techno there are labels where people go by catalogue numbers. One reads a sales listing:
“For sale
SUF xxx
SUF yyy
SUF zzz
HYDR 001” and those in that scene know what on Earth the listing is. But that’s label catalogue.

I’ve used work for the name of a work, e.g. Der fliegende Holländer without composer or opus WWV 63, also Symphony Of A Thousand, Petrushka, La Mer …
So far I’ve only been populating that with works which have a distinctive title, like operas and not Symphony No. 1 in C Major because then it’s going to get bloated and difficult to find anything.

Sometimes I forget which composer wrote a work though I’ve often forgotten the names of works too. Deconstructing the “album” title Wagner - Der fliegende Holländer WWV 63 - Solti, CSO (1976) to it’s constituent parts gives more ways to search.

This is like life sciences taxonomy . One thinks one is on top of it and has a system, but some other grouping has so much diversity it needs new ranks of taxa like sub families, tribes, sections of cohorts.
Oh and as a splitter it’s a battle against the lumpers the record companies who tempt up with great value big boxes, all the symphonies and concertos but they add in smush, filler tracks, oddballs, orphan tracks … an overture here, a vorspiel there, a bolero in that other void just to use up the space.

1 Like

Whilst not perfect this is where Roon excels and is worth considering despite the initial and ongoing cost imho.

A quick view of all compositions and a couple of filters gets you to the composition @Paul_C mentioned.

A click through to the composition then allows access to all 65 recordings.

:rofl:

1 Like

Have added Opus tag and added opus nested under Genre classical)/Composer.
It appears as a string and is not cross-indexed by Asset (this is only done on some tags -Artist/album artist/composer etc using "; " (semi-colon and space).

composer-opus-3

opus-4

But a bit of a waste of time?

1. Linn Kazoo’s own string search found album from Opus number from whole media library in seconds.
  2. Lots of albums do not have the Opus number.
    Nevertheless, will press on - got to Bach so far!

Lots of metadating for the dark Winter nights ahead.

1 Like

I installed Kazoo but it just sits as “Looking for room”. I guess only the Naim programme works with the Unitiqute 1 but I didn’t expect it to work since I don’t have a Linn streamer.

You asked about standards. I don’t have any. :laughing:
I found this organisation or industry body DDEX which works on standards for metadata, which appears to be for the recording supply chain and content delivery industries.
https://kb.ddex.net/display/HBK/Release+and+Resource+Metadata
Which I found from Youtube video of theirs I found Classical Music Metadata (March 2022) - YouTube

You mentioned in the other thread you keep a file. I maintained a similar external file with data of composers, conductors, soloists choruses, orchestras, recording venues, concert halls, operas
It was a Microsoft Access database *accdb, my subscription to Office 365 expired and I won’t afford to keep paying them subs every year so I.m having trouble accessing that properly with Libreoffice.

From the tables in that I copied and pasted over poorly-populated tag fields which have either missing diacratics or use a plethora of informal or simply incorrect names.
I stick to birth names

Composers e,g.
Wagner, Wilhelm ‘Richard’ (1813-1883)
Bartók, Béla Viktor János (1881-1945)
Meyerbeer, Giacomo (b. Jacob Liebmann Beer) (1791-1864)
Strauss II, Johann Baptist (1825-1899)
Janáček, Leo ‘Leoš’ Eugen (1854-1928)

Conductors
Karajan, Heribert Ritter von (1908-1989)
Furtwängler, Gustav Heinrich Ernst Martin Wilhelm (1886-1954)

Orchestras
Göteborgs Symfoniker
Sächsische Staatskapelle Dresden
Orchestra of the Royal Opera House, Covent Garden

Choirs (or choruses)
Singverein der Gesellschaft der Musikfreunde in Wien [official name for Wiener Singverein]
Pražský filharmonický sbor
Chorus Of The Royal Opera House, Covent Garden

Venues
Richard-Wagner-Festspielhaus [official name or Bayreuther festspielhaus]
Sächsische Staatsoper, Dresden
Himmelfahrtskirche München-Sendling

Concert halls (premieres or recordings)
München, Königliches Hof-und Nationaltheater[still working on that one, the hyphen seems wrong]

Recognised abbreviations and ones I use for folder naming and metatag album naming to keep the character count down
LSO, LPO, RIAS, BRSO, NYPO, CSO, SSKD, PO (Philharmonia Orchestra), BPO (Berliner Philharmoniker), WPO (Wiener Philharmoniker)

Instrument abbreviations from imslp
vn violin, vc violincello, pf pianoforte, fp fortepiano, sop soprano [voice]

Keys in EN, DE, IT, FR, ES, solfege, # and ♭ symbols, so I can copy and paste to reduce character count.

Directory structure is, from music folder:
1600-21XX-Classical [Sensu Lato]-VA [Smush Albums with tracks across different periods, usually soloists’ repetoire albums]
1600-1760-Baroque
1600-1760-Baroque-VA and so forth
In period directories there are composer directories
Bach, Johann Sebastian (1685-1750)
Vivaldi, Antonio (1678-1741)

Album naming is a bit inconsistent at this time. I’m experimenting with various formats to see how they present on different players and devices.
Wagner - Tannhäuser und der Sängerkrieg auf Wartburg WWV 70 - Haitink, BRSO (1985)
Wagner - Tannhäuser (Paris) - Solti, WPO (1970)
Wagner - Tannhäuser - Sawallisch, Bayreuth, dlA, Bumbry, Windgassen (1961)

It works out better preceding the work title with composer surname for sorting on my mobile handest or other devices where I don’t have the directory structure.
I’m not that fussed over the singers (unless awful) as I’m not ablr to tell much difference but singers’ performances of different releases crop up frequently in threads on classical forums so to learn more and take part in the conversation I’ve tried listing a few in album titles in the abscence of being able to look at he back covers in the Naim programme.

It it Asset or the Naim rogramme which inhibits the ability to browse te cover art I spent so much time looking for, downloading and in many cases, scanning?

First thing first, after ripping I look up the reelease on Discogs, them populate the DiscogsalbumID field with the release ID from the top RH corner of the discogs page. Click it, a bubble pops up “copy release ID”, right click, click on copy then past to the form. That’s there so I can refer back to it.
I then copy and paste all the credits including companies, recording dates to the multiline (set at one line) credits field then it’s quicker to copy and paste from the credits in MP3tag rather than switching back and forth to a webpage or my database and the MP3tag panel.
I split albums e.g with two or more works on them after I populate enough of the fields that I could reconstitute the original album if I want or need to e.g. to burn a CD. The tracks stay in the initial directory so it’s not necessary but I added a Boxset field but use that loosely for parent album.

Don’t ask me though. I don’t know what I’m doing and it’s you who will be browsing your system for music.

Yes, Linn Kazoo only works with Linn streamers like the Naim app works only with Naim equipment.

Asset and Naim should show track cover artwork included in the music files or as a folder.jpg (or similar) but other artwork is not presented even in the folder/filename view. It don’t think Naim app would not know what to do with it anyway.

Actually that is not true. Kazoo (and the more recent Linn control app) will control any renderer that uses the OpenHome protocol, all Auralic streamers, for example.

In fact, Kazoo will also work with Naim streamers such as my Atom, provided the Atom is made OpenHome compatible. This can be done by running BubbleUPnP server somewhere on the network (I have it on my NAS) and setting it to make the Naim device OpenHome compatible. You only need to do this once, after which the Naim box appears as a device. I find it useful for controlling the Atom in my office from my desktop.

Roger

2 Likes

You are of course correct. What I should have said was “Out of the box …”

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.