Trying to get going with a ND5 XS 2

i liked the first part of your post Stephen… Curious to know how Wifi can sound.
I prefer however reading stereophile vs whathifi or hifi news…

The cable threads have pretty much established that there are RF interference issues with cables and switches, which would be completely avoided with wi-fi and would be a free upgrade. I’m going to play with it.

1 Like

The thing is I don’t hear any RFI, noise or anything. Just CRYSTAL clear music. I’m starting to think that it’s all just being made up.

3 Likes

If someone have ever read about someone doing measurements/analyse confirming a difference that should be audible then please post it here. Until this exist I will continue say it is all placebo.

3 Likes

have you strong Wifi Mike? i don’t personally…

1 Like

WIFI vs ETHERNET

I use the Apple Time Capsule, which is right next to my NDX2, currently connected through a <$2,000 cable.

yes, but is the signal of your wifi strong ? Anyway i am curious to know what you will find.

1 Like

I think so. Just played an album though, and it sounds great, so I can’t be bothered messing around around with it sorry.

2 Likes

ebay, new zealand, australia : cisco switch for 50 dollars. Why not try ? What do you have to loose. Hundreds of people here are very satisfied, with new and old streamers.

I’m not sure about the power plugs if I buy from overseas. I might try next year. I’ve made so many changes, I’m just wanting to enjoy music.

2 Likes

Thought to mention I’m fortunate my WiFi router is only 20 ft away from my G1. I use 5ghz and get full strength (4 bars) I also have set the G1 as the only device to use 5ghz in my house.

Thought I’d also mention 5ghz has less range and less ability to punch through walls and such; 2.4ghz has better power and range

5ghz is of course faster and for the most part doesn’t having to compete with other things like Microwave ovens, wireless Phones that reside on 2.4ghz.

I was also thinking maybe in the U.K. WiFi routers aren’t as powerful and are tuned to the smaller sizes of many U.K. homes? I was reading the average U.K. home is 80 sq meters. Is that correct? I’m sure it could be in London since costs of real estate are like NYC, crazy expensive.

Is this used in an addition to your router or replaces it?

in addition. router to cisco and nas/ streamer / to cisco.

1 Like

At last, after my demo of the HicapDR and a bit of saving up. Mine has arrived, along with a very expensive £180 cable to connect it into my SN2

9 Likes

Cheers👍🏽

1 Like

Since I’ve had my ND5 XS2, I’ve always served it by plugging an SSD drive directly into it the USB rear port.
Earlier on this afternoon I plugged that SSD drive into my MacBook using Asset and Minimserver, to my ears it sounds a whole lot better, a bit more nuanced and more expansive in its sound, not so thick.
Has anyone tried this or compared?

1 Like

I use a QNAP NAS with Asset and it’s miles better than Tidal with using the Naim app. I don’t know if this is much help but it’s true.

1 Like