Turntable choices - upgrade cartridge or LP12

My current LP12, the second dating from the mid 1980s, has little left apart from the outer platter.
What with Tangerine Audio mods and a Collaro red mat its a long way from the origional.
Makes you wonder what an early LP12 with no mods but well cared for would sound like in comparison to a modern basic one. Quite a difference I should think.

A friend of mine has an LP12 from the early 80s with a red button and no updates other than a new belt and a new cartridge on the SME arm. It still sounds very good and to my ear outperforms a CD player.

That is not to say of course it could not be better with a few mods just that an early LP12 in good order still sounds like it should and will show a clean pair of heels to a lot of modern new players at the 2nd hand price of the LP12.

1 Like

If you buy a decent turntable now, it will probably outlive you, so get the best one that you can afford to start with. A Linn LP12 is the obvious starting point. You don’t have to buy a new one: there are many good dealers out there, who will be able to sell you a pre=loved one that they’ve taken in as part exchange.

1 Like

Sorry Graham but I think that’s one of the biggest myths in the world of hifi. I’ve no doubt that the LP12 is a great sounding deck, and I’ve enjoyed many a great listening session with one, but this whole mythology that it is the obvious starting point is very misguided like saying that if buying an amplifier Naim is the obvious starting point. It’s no more obvious than a Rega, Avid, Michell, Roksan etc all companies with products that are just as longstanding.

Regards,

Lindsay

7 Likes

My first early LP12 sounded tubbier, warmer, choose your adjective, than the second one a few years later.
You have to admire the marketing skills of Linn for their turntable upgrades. Know doubt more to come.

1 Like

Fair point.

Another vote for Peter at Cymbiosis and the LP12…he resurrected my 1987 LP12 with a new Circus bearing and Lingo 3 PS together with a DV cartridge. It sounds great but I think I preferred it when it had the Troika fitted so will be sending that away to Goldring and back to up to Peter for setting up.
My dilemma is do I get the Troika refurbished or get a Karousel bearing fitted?

1 Like

Karousel first c2photo

Makes a huge difference

Pretty sure Peter would also advise that

1 Like

@Bevo yes he did… :blush:

I tend to agree with you in that I prefer the Linn cartridges to the DV ones, just a personal preference

A refurbished troika would be lovely

2 Likes

And I might add c2photo , the Lingo 4 is a bit of a cracker . In order of upgrades I would think Karousel first, Lingo 4 second and Refurbed Troika third

Just my thoughts

Happy upgrading

4 Likes

The lingo 4 is good, I don’t drop that needle until the little red lights dimmed lol

1 Like

Update - I’ve been looking at the P8 the last few weeks and it looks excellent value for money and could very well be an end-game TT.

Unfortunately my local dealer no longer sells Rega so will need to look elsewhere for a demo / home demo.

I can’t justify the P10 at the moment as with the need for a MC phono stage I’d be looking at £6k.

The Rega RP8 is probably the best pick of the range for me. The RP10 sounds a little better but not a huge difference in my view. The RP8 compared to the RP6 is a giant leap forward. So, I agree very good value pound for pound compared to the quality of the sound.

In terms of RP8 Vs LP12 is a matter of listening and preference but both are excellent.

3 Likes

We all upgrade. You can either trade in and upgrade or as with the LP12 upgrade a component. I do both. Traded in my Rega Elicit R for a Musical Fidelity separates amp and upgraded my LP12 with Karousel initially and then others as funds allowed.

True, but, more importantly, Linn bring out a new bearing, £900, ker-POW! Wonderful, musically meaningful upgrade. Yes please, keep it coming Linn.

8 Likes

Another Sondek vote here.

if possible, compare the P10 to a Majik LP12 as we all vary in what we enjoy. To my ear/brain mechanism, the Linn will better communicate the music, although I do like the P10 which is very dynamic amongst other things. Try to ignore the LP12 upgrade ladder after that and just buy more vinyl.

8 Likes

Rega offer a range of turntables. That way you can trade in your existing P whatever and upgrade to the next P whatever in the range. Err… Ker-ching!

So can someone explain why LP12 upgrades are some kind of scam ?

7 Likes

Agree with KJC and Mr.Tibbs - 27 years since the last bearing upgrade is hardly milking it and no one is forced to buy one anyway

6 Likes

So long as it’s ker-POW and not ker-SPLAT it’s all good.

2 Likes