Turntable choices - upgrade cartridge or LP12

What if one man’s ker-POW is another man’s ker-SPLAT? :smiley:

Whilst a home demo of different deck options may be tricky, a comparison in a dealer’s demo room should avoid any ker-SPLATS.

The new bearing is definitely ker-POW though.

Went to see a P8 yesterday and booking in for a demo over the next few weeks.

Will need an MC phono stage which is going to add to the cost but hoping I can get a deal, although it’s a new dealer to me.

Update - this could now be a P10 as have seen a used one for sale with a 2M Black cartridge which would suit me as I’m looking to run it through my SN3.

Looping in @anon4489532 as I know you ran this setup for a while before you moved to a Rega MC. Also, would you say this is a good deal ?

That’s part of the reason I personally don’t like the LP12. I like to listen to stuff at a given level and decide which I like best. I call the LP12 the “IF” turntable - if I add this or if I add that … I prefer to restrict my upgrade choices to arm, cartridge and maybe cables.
I found the early LP12 to be quite leaden - very rhythmical but not in a precise way. It’s an impression I’ve not been able to shake off. I did hear a top spec one when the Keel first came out and quite liked it but I’m a long way down a different route now.

1 Like

Steve - that was always my thinking but I hesitate from sharing my opinion because I recognise that there are so many Linn enthusiasts on here. And, in any event it’s all good.

@LindsayM I think you’re a Roksan user like me. I think you appreciate one presentation or the other.
However, if the Keeled LP12 had been around when I bought my first Xerxes the choice may have been tougher but probably not different. In 1990 the choice was far easier.

2 Likes

@SteveO , yes indeed times have moved on. However, quite a few years back my late wife and I were at the Whittlebury Show and Peter @Cymbiosis had assembled a wonderful system of LP12 (Keel)/552/300/Titans and we spent a brilliant couple of hours just listening to great great music. One of the tracks played was the title track from the Bad Company album. When we got home I played the same on my system (which at the time wasn’t at the level I’m at now) and Margaret completely unprompted said “the hi-hat, drum kicks and bass have more kick on your system”. But whatever the turntable Paul Rodgers will always be the greatest singer that walked the planet - in my opinion :grinning:

2 Likes

FullACK.

I´d rather go for a LP12. You can buy second hand and upgrade later. A really good starting point would be a LP12 that originally was delivered with Circus, Valhalla, Ittok LV II or Ekos 1 and a corner braced plinth with the fifth mounting point near motor position. This one can easily beeing upgraded to Lingo 3 PSU and the newly launched Karousell bearing making it quite similar to actual Akurate model at lower costs.

3 Likes

Agree with that idea :+1:

I’ve not used a 2M Black on the 10. I initially used an Exact but felt that it was compromising things too much so bought the Apheta. My only slight concern with the 2M is its height - it has a Shibata stylus which can be fussy about VTA. Rega say it doesn’t matter, and I wouldn’t want to introduce a spacer between the RB3000 and the ceramic brace. That said, it’s a great way to get started with the P10 and you can always swap later.

1 Like

Apologies, maybe it was your P8 or just my misunderstanding.

Think I’ve done a deal with the seller (see my other post in the “Lounge” we’re just trying to sort out payment.

Agreed, I think using this MM cartridge will allow me to plug it into my SN3 and use it immediately, giving me time to save for a MC and Aria 3 later in the year.

Thanks for your feedback.

1 Like

So I’m back looking at a P8 with my dealer after being messed around by the seller of the used P10.

The problem is my dealer can’t get hold of a 2M Black nor a MP500 and I don’t want to get into the MC world just yes as it’ll mean a new phono stage.

Options I have are a Sound-Smith Otello (entry level) or the Sound-Smith Otello.

Anything else I should be looking at all please ?

Rega Exact would seem to be the obvious choice here.

(for a cartridge on a P8, matching both the deck and the SN3 phonostage)

Usually with a discount when bought together with a Rega deck, saves funds for the planned Aria phono stage which it matches with wonderfully also, then on to a Rega MC getting a dealer trade-in for the Exact again, all good ahead.

There will be lots of ( invested?) views with carts. I had an exact on my P25 into a number of phono stages and it never excited me. But there are plenty that like it.
These days I run a Gyro SE and love it. It has a Benz ACE sl cartridge which I enjoy.
I changed 2 things last year that took the Gyro set up to a number of different levels
I changed the arm to a RB3000 and the phono stage to a Cyrus Phono Sig ( plus a psxr2).
Extra detail and it was as of the cartridge and whole setup was finding much more in every record. It is now giving the ndx2/xpsdr a good run for it’s money.

A bit more when you currently have a Valhalla or Hercules on-board power supply, since they aren’t compatible with Karousel.

You’d have to add £400 for the newer Stack Audio (Minos) or Vinyl Passion (Revolution) on-board power supplies, which with VAT and duties amounts to €600 here in Europe. Or a bit more to go with a Lingo 1/2/3 or a lot more for Lingo4/Radikal upgrades at the same time.

But yes, Karousel is indeed a meaningful upgrade, especially when already on an external power supply, and makes the Majik package quite attractive when buying new.

In my experience, dealer trade-ins or sales profits for used lower-to-mid-range cartridges are quite negligible, more so in the case of Rega where even the MMs need a factory rebuild instead of a simple replacement stylus.

I agree with the rest of your proposed plan, the OP should just not expect too much for a used Exact

Here in the Benelux there is an official Rega cartridge refurbish/upgrade plan with fixed prices (via distributor Joenit). I would have thought this to exist elsewhere as well, my bad.

Interesting, never heard anything like it here in Germany. For stylus replacement, yes, but never heard about an upgrade option.

Anyways, what can you get for an Exact on trade-in, 100-150 euros? It’s 400 new and refurbished ones are selling for about 250.

Anyway, I agree that your plan makes sense, just the trade-in value isn’t the deciding factor

1 Like

My exact experience Steve. Bought a Xerxes in preference to a Linn in 1988. In 2016 I finally ended up with a Linn. It had finally lost its bloat and I now love it. In truth both modern versions are outstanding record players.

2 Likes