Turntable choices - upgrade cartridge or LP12

It’s more a complete remanufacturing than just a re-tip if I understand correctly. When trading-in your worn Rega cartridge at a dealer in the Benelux you get a listed percentage discount on a new cartridge, against like for like or against a higher-up cartridge. In the end you are right it is little money, but you do something good to recycle, reduce waste and keep the ecosystem going etc. etc.

1 Like

Back to @gav_sw20 as good as the Aria is, the internal SN3 phono stage is also truly good enough to live long and happy in MM land. On the P8 something like the HOMC new MK2 version of the Dynavector 10X5 might be bliss into the SN3, just a thought. It is in the range of the 2M Black and the MP300/500 and has always been very popular with Rega decks.

Also don’t forget to add the price of a decent RCA>DIN interconnect to the Aria, something like a Chord Clearway is another €200 here. If you do factor in the price of the Aria plus cable on top of the P8 plus cart, going with a brand new full LP12 Majik package directly into the SN3, is actually not a bad deal. It would be great if you could hear them side by side, I believe Cymbiosis offers that possibility (and sells mostly LP12s then).

I can’t help but think that with the SN3 the Aria would perhaps make more sense in the context of a P10 than a P8 which I would match to the Nait XS3. The Aria even has the same form factor as the P10 power supply making for a neat matched setup. If vinyl is only a secondary source the P8 makes sense, if you’re serious about vinyl you’ll soon want to make that step anyway, or explore the LP12 world.

Whatever you decide in the end, good luck and enjoy your vinyl!

2 Likes

Really appreciate the advice given.

The TT will be a secondary source as streaming is my go-to, this is why I’d like to stick to the P8, I’d love the P10 but unless one comes up used it’s going to cost nearer to £6k for one with an Aria (which I would want).

I might try to get to see Peter soon as I’ve not listened to either yet, I prefer the P8 as with the Lp12 I know I’d be tempted to tinker.

Good shout re that HOMC cart, although not sure my dealer sells them. I’d like to purchase all at once and hopefully get a package deal.

@gav_sw20 Reading it all back, I think the best course of action by far would be to return to a blank state of mind, head for Cymbiosis and have a wonderful demo session of various options and then make up your mind again. Ask Peter if he has a SN3 and if not bring your own. There simply is no substitute for actually hearing, seeing and touching the decks.

ps: If you just want to play the occasional record you would also be fine with a Planar 6 or even a Technics 1200GR or a dealer-supplied older LP12, all into the SN3. Simple and effective, likely very pleasant, and no need to feel you have to go all-out on a secondary source.

In any case looking very much forward to hearing what you have selected!

2 Likes

If I was you and considering a P8, I would look for a dealer website where there is a 10 month old ex- demo on offer.

2 Likes

Been Googling but struggling to find anywhere with either a P8 or a P10.

This would be the preferred route as I could then spend the additional £££ get a decent MC (Rega or Hana ML) and the Aria.

1 Like

Sorry to be cryptic, trying to avoid forum rules about commercial links and items for sale.
There is a dealer who has already been mentioned and whom you may be visiting that has an “Offers” section.

2 Likes

Update - @daddycool @catswhiskers I’ve just gotten off the phone to said supplier and off for a demo a P8 vs. LP12 Majik later today.

Will be using an SN3 with my speakers and testing a Stageline S and a Rega Aria.

Hopefully I come home with a few new boxes.

12 Likes

Best wishes, enjoy

Should be very interesting. Anyone taking bets?

1 Like

@Collywobbles I’ll bite…

As much as I love Rega decks (had a few myself and am seriously impressed with the Planar 6/8/10)…

I’m betting LP12 here.

However, any outcome will be good this is the way to do it.

Have a great demo session @gav_sw20 !

6 Likes

Nope. 50/50… :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

An LP12 strength, which might not be obvious during a demo, is it’s ability to make more sense of the music - to my ear/brain mechanism anyway. It’s worth trying a piece of music with multiple instruments playing, listen to a short passage, and then see which is easier for you to make sense of all the instruments playing at once. The less brain work required, the less fatiguing and more enjoyable the music should be. That’s the theory anyway. But otherwise go with your gut feeling and try not to be too taken with all the impressive HiFi - easier said than done. With Karousel, I’m not sure the Rega will actually sound that much clearer, although it’s probably still leaner and faster sounding.

Edit: and please ignore people slagging off the Adikt on the LP12 facebook page - it can make fine music when setup well and in a well balanced system. Replaceable stylus too, which is always handy if you get through a lot of vinyl.

7 Likes

Now Murmur

You are a lad making real sense

No b&$sh$te

Simple stuff - it’s pretty simple really

Well done

1 Like

I would suggest you also try a SL-1200/1210GR. Someone suggested above it’d be fine for the occasional record, but personally I feel it won’t be out of it’s depth against the above two.

Regarding MM carts, I don’t know if it’s specifically the MP-500 your dealer can’t get hold off, but perhaps consider the JT-80BK.

I have the JT-1210, which is very similar if not identical to the JT-80BK, and think it’s a great cart giving my 2M-Bronze (which some prefer to the black) a good run for its money.

And to get the best out of any MM cart, get the lowest capacitance cables you can find.

2 Likes

Enjoy the demo! Look forward to your thoughts and observations.

Not advising the Pearl phono stage anymore? :rofl:
Just kidding

Literally walked in the door from the demo.

Fantastic service from the moment I walked in until the moment I walked out. Can’t thank the guys enough.

Cut to the chase - I got the P8 / Apheta 3 with an Aria Mk3.

I demoed the P8 alongside an LP12 Majik but didn’t want to get into the temptation of upgrades. They are a beautiful TT in the flesh though and the array of stock they held was mighty impressive.

Only issue I’ve now got is rack space as I need somewhere for the Aria / Power supply to live. May have to sit my streamer on top of my SN3 for a while as there’s a back-order on the shelves I use.

Thanks to everyone who helped and advise in this thread. Hopefully it’s of some use to someone in the future.

10 Likes

Very nice!

I’m sure you’ll get a lot of enjoyment from it.

Brian & Trevors (Used to be House Of Linn)?

1 Like