Turntable ground?

So is the P3 / Tisbury combo connected to the XS. Anything else connected. Where does the P3 sit in relation to the amp and anything else - at the top of a rack, next to it etc ?

Both systems also have naim cd players and one has innous mini.

In both cases the phono stages are well away from the TTā€™s and the Naim boxes - 10-12 inches each at every stage

I tried the rega in both systems and same thing.
Thanks

Thanks - just checking that it wasnā€™t something else in the near vicinity causing issues. Reading up the thread and your comment on the hum is there with the arm near the centre and the TT on, it does sound more like itā€™s induced hum from the motor affecting the cartridge rather than any other issues (grounding etc). I suspect a change of cartridge would help. Might be worth an email to Rega ?

will do soā€¦
getting same thing with similar kit even if I move the TT to the other room.
thanks

1 Like

I undid one of the bolts slightly attached the spade end of the earth wire and re tightened it now no more hum.

Does the hum change levels if you are touching the arm or not?

no change if touching or not
thanks

Thanks but itā€™s all weld construction 8 recessed screws into the wall

This might help (or maybe not)ā€¦ I had a dynavector with a Tube DS phono stage going into an SN2. I had horrendous hum. Tried various combinations of earthing turntable cartridge (Rega P3) to DS and then to the tag on the SN2 etcā€¦ and it didnā€™t help. Spoke to Project-Audio and Dynavector AND NAIM and got nowhere. The fix was an independent earth from the DS to the earth on a mains socket.

Often when it is a grounding issue, just touching the arm will cause some difference. Also grounding issues rarely vary by the position of the arm. Just thinking out loud. Perhaps a problem with the wires in the arm? Try listening at the turntable itself when the arm is in the centre (before it goes thru the electronics) ,perhaps the cartridge is picking up some sort of vibration/hum from the bearing or motor and amplifying it. Hope it gets sorted out

present thinking is to just get it back to rega
if still more hum than the other TT then Iā€™ll change it for one with a ground terminal
using one on the other TT cured all hum for zero cost
i donā€™t want to spend money changing cartridges etc and then end up moving it on anyway. All help appreciated

Does anyone have any insight on why Rega insist on this grounding arrangement rather than a simple grounding lead? Never could understand this as many people have the hum issue with Rega decksā€¦me included.Thanks for your collective wisdom!
ATB,
Mark

1 Like

Iā€™m not the only one then!
Have you the same problemā€¦and have you found a solution?
cheers

selling it
Iā€™ve tried mu metal ,copper foil earth leads
at a rega dealers less hum but identical to another rega through a rega brio
Apparently more like to get this if you use an external rather than internal phono stage
given the atl5 in the other room had minimal hum with both systems here I just bought another of thoseā€¦

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.