Turntable Upgrade

If a P8 doesn’t easily beat digital there is something wrong with the setup.

3 Likes

:rofl:

1 Like

Particularly when compared to overpriced Chinese stuff…

Or overpriced old botoxed bouncing scotish lady ….

3 Likes

That’s not very nice for an old girl of such distinction!

1 Like

As a former LP12 and Rega user, I can only agree.

Never thought I should end into that camp.
100C if you don’t like the DJ look of MK7, GR or G.

If budget is unlimited look for Vertere or Naia.
Sondek is dead, long live the new king.

2 Likes

I find I’m drawn to Vertere. Not only the looks but the great reviews. DG1 is a steal at the price and the MG1 must be very attractive at used prices although I’ve not seen one on eBay yet. It’s highly likely that my 2nd system will end up getting replaced by a DG1 and a pair of Dynaudio Focus 30s if I ever manage to upsticks and move abroad.

2 Likes

A friend and I did some comparisons between and old and mid-range LP12, £14K of Vertere and bottom of the range (but still more expensive) Brinkmann. It was a smaller gap than you’d guess from many of the comments here.

For dynamic drama and tonal neutrality, the LP12 was just behind Vertere and the Brinkmann was a little better again. For pretty much everything else, further non-cheap upgrades to Vertere and Brinkmann were needed to make either of them clear winners - as presented on day 1, they really didn’t make me step away from LP12s. However, if I were spending £25K on a new turntable, it wouldn’t go too Glasgow.

The key difference to my mind is that we can build/ buy a great LP12 without buying all of it new at the eye-watering list prices: that’s a lot less easy with an SG-1, MG-1, Bardo or Balance.

And none of that disagrees with the suggestions here that, if you want a new turntable, Rega and Technics are surely still the VFM and easy-life options.

2 Likes

It needs a Krane to get somewhere nowadays.

4 Likes

I remember maybe 15 years ago, I compared at a dealer place a quite top specs Lp12 vs the Rega Rp10 . The phono was the same and cartridges were similar level.
I couldn’t say which one was the clear winner. The Rp10 was however costing more than half the price.

3 Likes

I wanted to say “ the Rp10 was costing less than half the price “ of the Lp12 full specs at that time. ( around 2010 I think)

5 Likes

Excellent!!

2 Likes

To be honest; I’ve never compared the Rega P8 with any of the Linn LP12 versions/ incarnations … I just love the ease of setting-up a Rega which is a delight to me and I wanted to stay away from the (extensive) upgrade path which is available for the LP12’s out there …

1 Like

Well of course absolutely none but a well maintained and setup 2nd hand example will make great music. But there’s never been a greater choice. This really depends on the OP’s budget.

3 Likes

Rega and Linn
We have owned both Rega and Linn turntable.

Previously, we’ve owned a RP3 . Lovely deck :+1:

Then, a few years back, we brought a new Rega RP6 into our home.
Originally, it was fitted with an Exact MM. Over time, we changed cartridges to Ania MC and then Ania Pro MC. Upgraded originally supplied PSU, to newer NEO PSU. Also changing Rega Fono MM to Rega Aria Phono. All in all, that was a spend of under £2k, new items. Plus c.£750 for an ex-demo Aria.

Note : The equivalent spend today - in June 2023 - might be new P6 c/w Ania Pro MC @ c.£1870
Plus new Aria mk3 @ c.£1100. But you already have an Aria :wink:

In its later form, our RP6 sounded same / similar level compared to our original 1986 Linn LP12, (which was all original, with Linn Ittok LVII tonearm and Linn MM cartridge). Excepting for obvious sonic differences, sounding same or similar level of SQ.

Our LP12, as it was - good condition and original spec’ - would probably be valued at around £1400-1600 as pre-loved now. (You regularly find similar decks with local Linn dealers). My point being, you don’t need to spend a fortune on a good condition SH LP12 to get a decent sound.

Then, give it a dealer service. If you wish to go further, change just one or two key parts, (e.g. Karousel bearing and any of the Lingo PSU’s ). You do need a dealer to assist with the process. But, a few key changes or upgrades can make an old LP12 into a magical music maker. For not much £££.

The thing we like about our Rega is its simplicity. It’s easy to set up, out of the box, plonk a record on and just play records. We often unplug it and move it about the house. It never feels like a big deal. Our Linn LP12 is now our best source, (no longer original spec’, since upgraded ) and we are a little more careful moving it, ( or even using it ). But, the venerable old lady - updated to a version of Akurate / Selekt level - is now just sublime playing vinyl records.

If being self sufficient is your thing, the Rega is a better route forward. No fuss with Rega TT’s. (Not that a LP12 is much fuss really). It’s more about setting up a Rega and it just plays records. If you wish for more, you go up to next model. Simple.

Like many have suggested, draw up a short shortlist and go have some fun listening to those 2 or 3 decks, side by side. If you have already owned an RP3, you may prefer the sound of the Rega options ( P6 - P8 - P10 ) best.

The sweet spot might be P6, c/w Ania or Ania Pro. Alternatively P8, c/w Alpheta 3.
Choose to suit your budget?

Phono
Maybe hang onto your Aria for a while longer…
IMHO, it’s a better phono compared to StageLine.
(But, don’t take my word for it. Demo’ some other Phono’s - A/B comparison - and discover how capable the Rega Aria actually is).
If you continue with MM, the Phono input in your SN3 is good enough. Even great. (Fair enough, let the Aria go).
But, your Aria is perfect for MC cartridges, particularly the Rega ones.
You will be glad to have the Aria if you move up to MC cartridges.

Hope all those thoughts, reference points and comparisons are helpful to you…
Do let us all know - feedback - how you get on ?

Good luck
KR
R

6 Likes

As others have said here there’s lots of good choices. The LP12 tends to be quite pernickety about set-up, the Rega decks are almost as hassle free as the Technics and the GyroDec is an interesting option too. It requires a bit of set-up (which should be done by your dealer) but after that it’s pretty much fit and forget for years and years.

A lot depends where you see yourself wanting to go with vinyl over the longer term. The Linn/Michell/Vertere options give you a lot more choices of arm upgrades so for example in my case I started with a basic Gyro with Rega arm, upgraded the power supply, upgraded the arm to SME IV, recently upgraded to the Orbe clamp and latest design springs and have used a variety of cartridges in it too. I’ve enjoyed that journey and the deck growing with me for over 20 years.

As you’re in Canada one other option springs to mind although it’s expensive! The Oracle Delphi - personally I think it’s one of the most beautiful turntables ever made…

JonathanG

4 Likes

If the Rega decks are plug and play - what is it about the LP12 that isn’t?

The effects of having proper suspension on a turntable, once heard, can be hard to give up. However, the suspension means that an LP12 needs a bit of care on setup and needs an occasional reset/ service too.

4 Likes

Hey @NickofWimbledon
Nicely put :+1:

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.