Bluesound Node N130 vs Naim vs Alternatives

Not heresy at all, just a different experience @bruss! And you have an easier Naim journey with that.

Perhaps it’s a certain “tone” one likes to hear? Recently here a member from the old forum was referenced, who liked the Nait 2, the original Nait 5i and then the 500 series. It happens.

Happy to hear that regardless you’re still hanging on to the little box, that does say something.

1 Like

Just catching up with the posts now, so apologies for the delay in replying…

@ratrat What a fabulous, insightful post! A thousand thanks for taking so much time to share all your recent experience refining your systems and for going through all of the potential options and ideas for my plans.

Everything is leaning towards Old Classic, and a Supernait of some sort, with either ND5 XS2 or the NDX2 as source. A plan is forming, so I’m going to reach out to a few dealers locally at first, just to see what used or ex dem stock they have before national searches begin, then go from there.

I enjoyed the New Classic 300 rigs at the Acoustica show today and thought it al sounded fabulous, but way beyond my budget, even the used and ex dem models now hitting the market - for the future perhaps, but not now. No chance to chat to the Acoustica bods to gain any insight as to my own personal system as the guys were being quizzed quite a bit by show visitors, so I’ll call them later in the week.

The RP6 is standard, save for the 2M Black. I’d not considered, nor even thought about the NEO PSU, as I thought it was very similar in performance to the RP6 PSU, and more of an upgrade for the intro Rega models?

I think the Zen will factor into things down the line - not just yet. But what was telling, Innuos was being used in a couple of the rooms today at the show, so that speaks volumes in some ways. But, I want to think this through properly and not rush into it. I currently have a stable UPnP local playback system that just works, so moving beyond this will be something I explore in the New Year once my work room is back up and running. I’ll certainly have no space or time to be ripping CDs until then with the ongoing building work (gulp).

@QlderBrad That’s great, thanks for expanding on how the Innuos works with your current set up and how it connects to the 272. I think the idea of a home dem / loan is the best option, and I’ll contact the nearest stockist and arrange this nearer the time. The more I read about the Zen the more I like what I’m finding out about it.

@daddycool Never once have I though that your posts were any other than extremely helpful and in good spirit, so most welcome! Great metaphor on the relative merits of the Naits too. I’ve heard most of the Nait and Snait incarnations and generally like them all, but never got on with the Snait1 for some reason. Your observations / preference of the 3 series of XS and SN is very interesting and wasn’t expecting that.

@bruss - Very interesting that you consider all of the next generation Naits to be superior to the original Nait2. I guess it has its era related limitations etc, but it still has a rather infectious character!

3 Likes

@ratrat Managed to throw a quick layout together of the how the rooms are laid out and where the systems will eventually live in the long term. The CAT5 cable run from dinning room, through the garage to the studio is some 10-15 metres. Hopefully this makes sense…

Absolutely, it punches above what you might expect from it, but it is an old design that has been bettered for sq.

The Nait 50 shows that. Great packaging, modern electronics and design.

2 Likes

Great. Thanks for sharing.

All looks good for music streaming…
QU : Are those two switches providing for any general computing duties?
QU : How many ports does the BT router have ?

KR
R

For the RP6 psu idea…

Something that has been learned about turntables over years…
PSU, motor and speed control is about maintaining a much more accurate speed. This precision controls “pitch”, which is probably one of the more important aspects of what any turntable does.

For the RP6 and swopping to NEO, some background reading…

Maybe no need to do anything immediately. Just passing on a “top tip”.
But it’s a nice thing to explore, if you jump to a better amplifier, more able to resolve and display small differences made on the TT.

Hope all this information is helpful?

KR
R

2 Likes

Re the Cisco switches. Yes, both have computers connected to them. The BT hub has just four ports.

That’s great :+1:

Ok, will read through later on. I thought the RP6 had a decent PSU from the off, so interesting that it can be bettered for the modest cost with the NEO :sunglasses:

A little footnote, which may be a bit OCD boring.
So, forgive me. But it’s an informative story…

When the P6 was first launched, which superseded the RP6, it was only maybe 12-18 months after we had invested in our RP6. Incidentally, about the same time, Rega released the Ania MC cartridge. It became a factory fit option on the P6.

Curiosity got the better of me…
I wondering about trading the RP6, for newer P6.
Also, how the Ania MC might work on the mid range Rega decks.

With this in mind, with my lovely dealer, one afternoon we did a straight A/B comparison of my RP6 deck with their demo’ P6.

Changing one thing at a time and learning.

Both decks were fitted with a Rega Ania.
Both decks auditioned with same NEO PSU. Swapping original TT-PSU back in and out.
Both decks auditioned through same Aria phono stage.
With Naim NAIT XS2 amplifier.

We figured out the NEO was probably the most significant contribution to how the better P6 sounded. Suggest as much as 60-70% of the difference between decks.

BTW, same thing happens with other decks too. For example changing or upgrading power supplies on an LP12 can make a big difference

The NEO PSU first appeared as part of the P6 package. It was clearly part of the what the updated and better P6 package offered. Maybe one of several Rega tweaks on the new P6. Shortly after, about the time of this experiment, Rega made the NEO available as a separate item.

Anyway, came home with a new Ania cartridge and soon after a NEO PSU for our RP6. Happy and convinced it was otherwise not worth trading my RP6 and swopping to the P6. Sold the Exact MM cartridge, Fono MM phono stage and TT-PSU onwards to help fund the new items.

If you are tempted, maybe wait, until other things are in place before you explore this one.

Apologies to everyone for severe topic drift.
R

1 Like

Well, we had already established that thinking about a budget streamer can cause a total system re-evalution (there should be a warning sticker), so within scope not drift I would say :slight_smile:

Wise words, analogue is a journey in its own to enjoy after the amp / digital dust has settled. And plenty of info and opinion (and dealer support) available on that too when the times comes.

1 Like

It’s all helpful to understand
Are you streaming video to your living room?
How are you doing that, with the network topology shown in your diagram?

Also, you’ve mentioned building work…
Do you plan to have electricians on site ?

KR
R

That layout shows how the kitchen and dinning room will look after the building work, walls removed and the steel roof supports put in, leaving a combined 10x4 meter open space.

I only drew out the arrangement for plans for music networking as opposed the whole house. There is a another long run CAT5 cable exiting the first Cisco switch right next to the router, and this runs all the way through the hall and into the lounge room, where another Cisco (or Netgear - can’t remember) switch allows connection for the TV, PVR, PS4, Wii, AppleTV and a BT Whole Home WiFi Mesh disc.

It does get very complicated when you start to think about how many devices are internet dependent now!

2 Likes

Great
Sounds like you have most or all requirements covered with wired connections. Brilliant.

Building work - Any electrics changing?
I’m just wondering if you will have electrician around

Ah, yes, forgot about that. Yes, the kitchen / dinning room, garage and work room will all be completely rewired, with a new consumer fitted in the garage to bring everything up to current regs and spec.

1 Like

Hi @YetiZone

Thank for your understanding and sharing information
Think I’ve got it all now. That’s all useful background.

That all sound quite exciting.
Also, it’s now obvious why you were looking at Kitchens over the weekend.
All good fun.

I’ll reply with some further thoughts and ideas. Maybe later today, after work.
Speak soon
R

1 Like

Hi @YetiZone

Was asking about networks and electricians, as thinking about improvements for your “infrastructure”, which will benefit your audio enjoyment, when your new pieces come into the house.

Suggest you do some reading - use search - on the forum
Networks and switches, for streaming music
Dedicated mains supply

Doesn’t have to cost much, as you already have the trades and skills on site.

2 Likes

Yes, I that idea of a cable refresh (in every sense) will be explored and researched. Although, I may find that side of things getting financial approval challenging, being non essential in the grand scheme of things, and especially from my wife’s perspective.

Likewise, pretty frantic here so no time yet to look for new boxes earnestly, but chatted to one dealer on that score, and, after this chat and the recent Acoustica show my mind started to wander to New Classic (dealers suggestion). One wild card idea is a very heavy source approach with an ex dem CSS333 fronting my Nait2, and wait to see what NC Naits come to market, but this would have to be a longer term plan in terms of saving as opposed to immediate gratification now.

2 Likes

Nait 2 responds surprisingly well to as good a source as you can throw at it.

Coming from Rega the LP12 was a quantum leap here, very enjoyable. With a top streamer it might be a pleasant intermediate period doing the source(s) first.

That said, you are now seriously upping the ante on the source side!

1 Like

Okay understand
As a minimum, consider a dedicated mains power supply. One run of 10mm2 from a new CU, to the HiFi location. Look to other threads on this topic, ( for circuit diagram and tech’ spec’ ), for more info’.

Might only cost a few hundred.
But the uplift is probably equivalent to adding PSU to a source. (Which cost thousands).

Just something to consider, while the building work is being done and you have all the trades on site.

Hope that helps.
Again, good luck

2 Likes

Hi @ratrat, this is a very interesting thread. Some really useful info and I assume opinion based on demonstrations you have had. I need to have a closer loon at the Pulse.

I am particularly intrigued in your view on NDX5 XS2 streaming versus NSC 222. Is this based on what you have heard, and if so what was the setup?

1 Like