Turntable Upgrade

Most dealers are more used to set up rega arms. SME V is more complicated: VTA, VTF, back and forward, but also the height.
Perhaps i imagined also it’s more complicated, but this doubt got me uncomfortable.
With the rp10. nothing to bother.

The RP10 (I assume since I’ve never owned anything higher in the Rega stable than the RP6) doesn’t have any adjustments if you use a Rega cartridge. If you use another cartridge then you need to work out how to adjust the arm height as well.

The SME V (OK, I’ve only got a IV with the fluid damper) has a few more adjustments but they are all very simple and frankly I’ve found it a lot easier to setup than Rega arms etc on non-Rega decks.

Replacing an RP330 on my Gyrodec with an SMEIV (with the FD so you get simple height adjustment) made it so much easier to setup with a new cartridge. The SME arms are very well thought out.

I use to have a Mission 774, which has azimuth adjustment as well - but very easy to change cartridges with that, as you remove the whole arm-tube. The silver Litz wiring was fun though.

I think I had a Ortofon MC30 Super, as my first MC cartridge, after Goldring 1012 and 1042 MMs.
I then had AT OC9 before a Sumiko BPS. I use to use Stepup Transformers as well (Denon).

And have only found the SME V to be very predictable and accurate to setup, allowing for fine adjustments to be made.
If you are going to run a high-end turntable/arm/cartridge I think you have to learn how to set it up yourself, with your own setup and alignment tools.

I guess it’s the same with lp12 suspension set up. However most people asks their dealer to do that.
Anyway the rp10 is more enjoyable to use and listen to. I am happy to know that all is 100% perfectly set up.
I asked once Michael Fremer how to know that my cartridge is perfectly set up on the SME V. He responded me that the SRA has to be at 92 degree. And that i had to use a microscope.
The manual of the SME V is also in english, so it’s more complicated for french dealers.

Has the Naim Forum fallen out of love with the LP12 I wonder? Rega certainly seem to have stolen a few hearts amongst others. No axe to grind, just wondering?

Stu

1 Like

Finally:)

As in it’s a good thing Emrie?

Yes it is a good thing to let it go, they are many alternatives, better value and less fussy

Brinkman, kronos, dr fieckert, transrotor and many many more even project, Eat, Technics have very good decks

İ get it that it is a classic but it does not offer any value with endless uber expensive upgrades and its hard to set up nature

İt is a british nostalgia thats all:)

1 Like

It’s still a holy cow you know, careful when you poke it.

1 Like

With all my respect to the classic and one of the best designs… it is a plesure to listen and look at it…

But it is very but very expensive for what it offers now

As I said I have no axe to grind and people are free to choose whatever they like. For me the Sondek remains a perfect match for Naim amps and speakers. I do agree that it has become expensive, but in return it stays in tune for years.

Stu

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.