Turntable wall shelf news?

You are exactly correct i should have stated 99.99% of T.T. stands are not made for a specific T.T. this would have been of great assistance to those who could not understand the contex of the post.
Also Wall shelf or not i was pointing out to our Naim Linn friends that a mod on the current Fraim would be unlikely to have value regarding a LP12 and any future Fraim support of any nature would be specific to the Solistice and so the same would apply. I mentioned this and the comments on commercial stands as i thought this may not be obvious to all.
It is dissapointing that those reading the post can find nothing but negativity towards it.

I am giving up on this Forum. I have been looking for a way out for some time.
It really functions on a level of what piece of equipment goes with what.
Other than that the level of engagement is more negative than exploratory.
Still it has sometimes been enjoyable.

At the factory Naim used an Audiotech wall shelf for their Armageddon LP12. The Audiotech was of course very much designed with the Sondek in mind so unsurprisingly they work very well together.

2 Likes

@Richard.Dane - thanks.

As you and others have pointed out, the Audiotech and Mana shelves really did work well with LP12s and the like. It’s a great pity that they ceased production so long ago so that newer turntable owners have no really good choices available.

If I were younger and less lazy, I’d think there was a great business opportunity here!

2 Likes

One particular company did offer a wall shelf a few years back that was definitely inspired by the Audiotech. I don’t know whether it’s still offered, but I seem to recall some members on here buying one and reporting very favourably on it.

Richard, do you mean the Tiger Paw Audio Vulkan?

7 Likes

That’s the one I use. Perfectly happy with it but I do use an Iso-Acoustics Za-Zen on top of the shelf

2 Likes

@debs - dead right. That is one of the best regarded unavailable shelves.

Do you use it unadorned or do you also use an extra platform?

3 Likes

That’s the one Debs.

1 Like

I used to use an extra platform, very good performer but looks a bit strange.
Since changing the room layout to where the wall is not really suitable for a TT wall shelf my LP12 now sits on fraim. This works really well on a concrete floor :slightly_smiling_face: :+1:

1 Like

@debs

Have you sold that Vulcan then? From the messages here, there will probably be a lot of interested parties.

2 Likes

:zipper_mouth_face: Would be naughty saying so on this forum :upside_down_face:

1 Like

In the absence of a Fraim wall shelf option, I’d be a buyer if we were allowed such a conversation, but I doubt I am the only one.

3 Likes

Yes Richard the Tiger Paw Vulcan ceased production back in 2018 when Roger Hamilton basically decided to retire. It was a great shame, as it was me that managed to introduce Roger Hamilton to the designer/producer of the old Audiotech Wall shelf, Alan Gibb and I know Alan was very helpful in giving Roger advice which culminated in the Vulcan.
It’s fair to say there is a severe shortage of suitably good wall shelves at the moment and the only advice I can give to people looking for one is to check around a few hi-fi retailers as quite often they may know if there are any secondhand ones about or not.

KR, Peter

8 Likes

It looks as if none of the definitely better options are still being made, and users of many have actually tweaked them to be rather different from the ‘anything light and rigid’ cliche. This does not engender complete confidence.

There is now another thread on isolation platforms. I intend to try bit from HRS for LP12 (and the Targettt bracket) and some Naim boxes. I will also try putting a piece of granite under the LP12 - easy to remove if it actually makes things worse…

In the meantime, recommendations from people LP12 is on clever platforms or better-tan-average wall brackets (or both) will be much appreciated and may add to the experiment.

2 Likes

What is the floor made of?

If the floor is concrete then naim fraim is really good.

Hi @Debs,

I like the existing granite table visually! Also, I have too many boxes for one Fraim stack, but squeezing two Fraims into the alcove might be tricky.

The floor is springy wooden floorboards, i.e. exactly the sort that makes a wall bracket seem a good idea, and that encourages others (not me) to fit a Trampolin - and that generally is felt not to suit Fraims.

If these experiments clearly show that granite is a great/ terrible idea, then they may well support the same conclusion about heavyweight platforms generally. And if the HRC feet do an amazing job, that too would be good to know. News to follow when I have it.

3 Likes

Of course, if there were a Fraim wall-bracket, perhaps with different bases for suspended/ unsuspended turntables, I probably wold’t be bothering to do my own test and would just have bough it…

2 Likes

I’m always a little surprised when people put their turntables on heavy stone or timber bases given the ‘light but rigid’ recommendation that gave rise to the widespread use of the Ikea Lack table etc.
Back in the day my old Sound Organisation table did a decent enough job with it’s basic, thin MDF shelf, but my LP12 seemed to like it when I swapped that for an Aerolam shelf. This was a very light weight, high rigidity material which I believe was developed for aeroplane construction, and which Pink Triangle used in the construction of their decks.

1 Like

What’s the matter with Pro_ject ?

They probably make more turntables than Rega and Linn combined. Some at a very high price point