Turntable wall shelf news?

Thanks @R.K - how does it sound compared to other supports?

2 Likes

Sorry, can’t compare. It’s the only wall-shelf I’ve had. Previously on top shelf of Fraim - was a disaster re. bouncy floorboards. Before that was a different house and no probs.
This has solved bounce. Sounds good to me and looks better than black metal.

The Isoblue shelf looks lovely, especially with the LP12. We have Isoblue for the boxes, but as the Rega is so small an Isoblue shelf might look odd. The Rega sounds considerably better on the wall bracket than on the Isoblue.

1 Like

In that case you had best avoid it! It was just a thought…. I do enjoy a bit of DIY myself especially if related to HiFi.

InAkustic Stoic. Seems to be very well made.
Here a pic of @tom539 .

I can confirm that the Solidsteel WS5 works well with the LP12 - at least with a Trampolin II mounted. Soundwise the Solidsteel beats the Söund Örg shelf, which I used before, by a wide margin. The LP12 still sounds like a LP12 with all the PRAT, but with a very stable, wide and deep image and a slightly higher amount of detail. IMHO the use of different spiked platforms (like plywood, bamboo, Torlyte, etc.) between LP12 and WS5 brings a slight change but no improvement, anyway I didn’t try the ‘Fraim-style’ glass.

8 Likes

11kg LP12, have you filled the base with rocks? :wink:

My Bardo weighs about 14KG and I have had that plus a granite base on my Target shelf. I was a worry but it was fine.

1 Like

Hi @Ryder35, I think an LP12 weighs between a bit over 11kg and rather under 13kg, depending on spec. Do you reckon that’s wildly wrong?

I am not familiar with a Bardo, but am comforted by your remarks. Which granite base have you used, and does your Targett shelf have standard masonry bolts into a brick wall?

@Veltliner - for all that Linn say ‘light and rigid’, a lot of people here seem to agree with you, either using a heavier stand (from a loaded Fraim rack to a Solidsteel or Stoic) or putting something dense (wood, sand-filled-steel, slate, granite) on their existing support. You are not the only one commenting that it improved the sound, so perhaps that is the right route.

@frenchrooster - that for a good shot of this. The Stoic looks to be Euro800+ without the top plate shown - does that look right? I agree they look good.

@tom539 - could you comment on what the top plate is (or whether they come with it and I have simply misunderstood the website & advertising pics) and how the sound compared to anything else you have used? Thanks.

3 Likes

If so I find that a little surprising but so often things can differ in their sense of ‘heaviness’ depending on their shape and where the weight is distributed, so you may be correct. Never rteally though about it before, if i had to guess I’d have said around 5-7kg. Maybe Kores/Keels etc are significantly different in weight.

According to Analog Planet the Linn weighs 13kg. I imagine a TA Stiletto’d version would be a bit heavier. The Linn is a easy 13kg to pick up, so may feel lighter than its’ actual weight.

I didn’t knew that the plate has to be bought separately. Google should gives you more details… maybe you will find some reviews on other forums. The design looks very good.

1 Like

Well I am amazed the lp12 is that heavy. I never felt my one was heavy.

Re the bardo here it is in situ. Without the granite!

Platter alone is over 9kg. The granite base was the one from my brinkmann nyquist and is 12kg😯

3 Likes

And another isoacoustics user, even with that well-regarded wall-shelf…

3 Likes

Yes indeed, mainly because my TT sits between my speakers so I have gone for a belt and braces approach!

1 Like

Shame about all those visible cables hanging from a wall shelf…. Any clever solutions out there?

Richard

Can you give some details? Do you need to buy additional platform for it ?
Have you compared with other wall shelves?
I am searching another house actually, so may choose that solution.

I had a turntable shelf made in solid oak by a local furniture maker, very similar to the hifi racks design. I got him to rebate the back plate so cables can be hidden. It works well as long as you don’t want to take your turntable off very often….

2 Likes

If you saw the back of the racks you would realise they are the least of my troubles :rofl: :rofl:

1 Like

That’s a very fine looking turntable. Very nice indeed. In my view a couple of dangly wires just isn’t an issue. Having a hifi in the room is hardly unobtrusive so a couple of little wires makes little difference. You could always stick some trunking in the wall and paint it in, but when removed it’s likely to take the plaster with it. I have dangly wires with my TT, just like I have dangly wires coming down from my stand mount speakers. It’s just part of the deal.

2 Likes

Indeed, andit is a dedicated room (plus some other hoby stuff) so looks don’t really bother me.

As for the TT, currently deciding whether to keep it or the P10 or both!