TV connections advice

My new Sony 49” TV is settling in well, and I now want to tweak its performance up a bit. Comments & advice please on any or all of these options:

1. It’s currently cursed with a very weedy captive mains lead. Option here is to cut most of it off, wire a male IEC plug onto the end and use one of my existing good quality power leads.

2. Only audio output from the TV is Toslink optical. From a search on the forum, it seemed there was a small consensus for not spending lots on optical cables. I was looking at a Kimber OPT1 for £50-100 (depending on length), but would this be unlikely to be better than a £10 job from Amazon?

3. TV is currently connected to our home network wirelessly. Would wiring it bring noticeable improvement? If so, how much should I spend on a (say) 3m cable for it?

Thanks,

Mark

Hi Mark, I too have a Sony TV, it’s up to you but I don’t think any of your suggestions will bring much bang for buck.
The power lead is as good as it needs be, it’s feeding an internal SMPS & the TV pulls very little power.
The optical connections are limited by the Toslink ends, you might find marginal changes, but when I tried various brands & prices, I found little if any difference, I have a 7.5m long ‘deleyCON’ £10’er from Amazon, plus a 90 degree angled Toslink outlet adaptor in the back of the TV to better dress the ‘cable’
I have my TV ethernet connected, but it works just the same with wi-fi.

2 Likes

I have a 49XG9005 which is very good. I can’t see the benefit of changing the mains lead unless you can take it back to the board in the TV, which is most probably not a thing to do.

I use an optical cable (qed) which is about 5mtrs long, works well. Sadly these optical cables seem very feeble in the connectors they use. I find it impossible to get a solid connection either into the TV or the UnitiLite. I have been wondering about using phono leads, but if there is no option on the TV (I’ve not looked) then that’s out.

I have used wired and wifi. I can’t tell the difference in picture/sound quality, and in order to ditch a cable, I went to wifi only. It’s very stable and always seems to connect flawlessly (famous last words).

Overall, the XG9005 is a really good TV, and wasn’t silly money when I got it, although others may say it was too much.

Seems there is an audio 3.5 jack that can be used for audio out to an amp.

Thanks for those - looks like the advice isn’t going to cost me a lot, which is surely a first for this forum.

Mine’s the 49XH9505 which is basically this year’s model. I don’t think it’s got a 3.5” audio output, but I’ll check when I’m next in the same room as it. I wonder if the TV’s onboard DAC + 3.5” cable will sound better than a Toslink into the (10YO Denon) AV amp’s DAC.

Mark

On the XG it’s situated (as you face the TV), on the left hand side, along with other side connections.

1 Like

I have the same 3.5 jack on my Sony, its marked as a headphone & is analogue.
No good for me, see my previous post, I use optical (digital) to my NDX internal DAC
SQ is as good as the TV can give.

Thanks @porkyg, I might give it a try.

I am still left wondering whether delaying the DAC stage until the signal is in the amp might yield better SQ. You say that you use optical - have you found it better than the 3.5” analogue output?

Mark

Wirelessly is the worst way to connect. Yes, spending more on a good optical cable like Audioquest does make a difference. Yes cutting the captive lead and adding a good plug like Furutech does make a difference. I found the analogue out 3.5mm jack was the best quality for sound by a large margin.

1 Like

Sorry I don’t know how the 3.5 sounds. I may give it a try when I’m next next dismantling my set up.

My older model Sony used to be connected by Toslink into a NDS; now its audio output is fed into my network where it feeds into my 52. I think there are specific RJ45 socket modules that facilitate this type of connection, but I’m not sure.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.