TV & Movies in 2.0 Stereo - Settings Required

Hi All
I’m thinking of taking my A/V amp out from my hifi rack and only listen in stereo for movies, etc.
Question I have is where do forum members set the stereo out configuration on their TV and Blu-ray player?
Assuming it’s in the settings of each hardware, what happens when watching a program that’s originally coded in Dolby 5.1, etc.
I assume the hardware does its best effort to down Mix to 2.0. Are my assumptions correct?
Also, when I do this, are there any recommendations for particular settings to get the best possible outcome?
I know it’s a compromise, but just want to test the scenario and see how it all sounds.
For reference, I will use optical out from tv to Luxman D-10X optical in. Blu-ray coax out to Luxman D-10X coax in.
Many thanks in advance.

1 Like

You usually selected the audio playback from the individual disc menu, and many switch formats automatically. Set TV to PCM sound output.

2 Likes

Ah, that makes perfect sense @Mike_S. Many thanks.

1 Like

And while not as good as surround sound it’s not that bad either.

Yes.
I’m a little reluctant to do it as I don’t know how much I will miss the surround sound when watching movies and 4K Blu-ray.
The main reason is to get my Burmester streamer back into the rack. There is no room at the moment and I certainly don’t want to change anything rack wise, etc. as we have a nice, clean and uncluttered living room. I want it to stay this way too.
I’d like to send HD music from my streamer into the Luxman D-10X DAC via coax. Internet radio too. Interesting to hear what this sounds like.
Also the TV optical out to Luxman D-10X DAC. I’m interested in how the performance/quality of sound is as it’s of course a much more sophisticated DAC. TV performing down mix to 2.0.
Anyway, I won’t know until I do it so let’s see.

1 Like

I had a Kef surround setup with a Yamaha amp and ended up getting sick and tried with all the cables etc. sold it all and bought the Sonos surround system and love it. No wires everything connected straight away and there’s not a plethora buttons to confuse you. Life’s to short for a that complication.

3 Likes

:joy:
I know what you mean regarding the cables!
I’d like to clean that area too by removing the a/v amp out of the equation.
Just simple, great quality stereo sound as when I’m playing music via the hifi.
:thinking:, I must try it and see how it goes.
Appreciate your input @Pete_the_painter very much :+1:

1 Like