Two-box streamer-amp recommendation

@anon4489532 , @anon35279323 thanks very much for your useful follow-up.

I am indeed looking to buy new, because, as Gunnar mentioned, I am not an expert listener and I’d rather be on the “safe” side.

Short update: I just returned from the dealer where I heard NDX2+282+300 (the 252 wasn’t in store) paired up with B&W 803d, Vivid Kaya 45 and KEF Blade 2. I listened to Mahler VI symphony (fast varying dynamics), Bruckner 7 (slow majestic build-ups) and Schubert’s Death and Maiden (string quartet). All seem fine speakers, but I especially liked B&W 803d and Vivid Kaya 45, as they were “vivdly” able keep up with Mahler 6.

Anyway, I will wait for May 8 before deciding …

Death and the Maiden is a great piece. I heard it performed by the wonderful Chiaroscuro Quartet, and they subsequently recorded it. It’s well worth getting hold of if you don’t have it. As to May, I very much doubt it will influence your decision making. Do try to get to hear the 272/555/300 as well.

1 Like

David, Maybe a few boxes more than 3 but with a 252 you can not go wrong. The 282 is also great. I think it’s smart to go for the new streamer platform.

When you home demo be sure that the dealer does not bring a Power supply for the NDX2 just to let you hear the difference. Why? Then you will end up with an additional box and at least 5000 less on the bank account. Keep possible improvements for the future.

I am sure your dealer is professional and knows his job but never the less for your own knowledge discuss with him about “feet” under the loudspeakers prior the home demo.

I bought my first Naim kit 1995 and made a huge upgrade 2016. Prior the upgrade 2016 I started to make a “market study” just to see what was out there. After a few months looking around and getting more and more confused I decided to continue with Naim. Reasons. I liked the sound, over 20 years without any technical issus and still possibilities to service my old stuff. Naim is a company which takes a long term responsibility. And finally the possibilities to upgrade whenever I want and of course when allowed.

Good luck and do not rush into something which will not make you 100% happy.

4 Likes

Hi David,

I followed a very similar approach, by first finding the right speakers. I listened to dozens of them at several dealers, and it became pretty clear that all speakers sound different, almost as different as human voices do. The difference in SQ between different amplifiers through the same speaker is much less than the difference between different speakers on the same amp.

So with my limited budget at the time I selected the B&W 804 D2 from many speakers, especialy for their very natural sound of female voices and acoustic/classical instruments like piano, horns, violin, cello etc. For rock and dance music with their hyped high & low frequencies, the B&W’s may be too bright, but for classical music they are fantastic. After finding the 804 D2, the selection of power amp and pre-amp was less of a problem and I found the NAP250 with the 172XS streamer. At that time the budget split was 50% for the speakers, 50% for the electronics.

When more funds came available I upgraded the 8043D2 to 802D2 and the 172XS to 272. So the end result is 272 + 250 + 802D2, and I’m truly enjoying this 2-box kit. And alternative for you could be the 272+300DR versus the 272+250DR, you would have to listen to make that call.

Although forum members have suggested that the 250 is too small for the 802D2, I never felt that way and the 250 sounds very controlled and refined at normal listening volumes. In our living room of 13 x 4-5 meter with the 272 volume at 60-70%, the system makes more than enough noise for our daughters´ parties!

Good luck in finding the right kit and greetings from Gouda!

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.