Two Stroke Motorcycles

Well said my son !!!
They will be well p***ed off with this (I hope) a 2 stroke diesel, a Napier Deltic,
magnificent 18 cylinder opposed piston awsomeness, & before all the railway folks get over excited, I’m a salty sea dog

Now I would LOVE to be standing right next to one of those on start up! Gorgeous Beastly thing it is!
Didn’t they have a wee habit of catching fire occasionally?

Not in my navy !!!

Excellent! Just as well:grinning: I think I read somewhere that they could be troublesome in trains. In the Navy, where they main engines?

Yes indeed, various forms of fast attack patrol boats mostly, still in service with mine counter measures with RN & other navy’s around the world.

Perhaps not but they are right nonetheless. I’d like the subject to stay on-topic. :blush:

I think the DKW/MZ 125 engine was adopted by the British manufacturers. Elegant lines!

I love the simplicity and power density of 2 strokes, the sound of a now rare Kawasaki triple is so distinctive.

I remember witnessing load acceptance testing of a bunch of quad turbocharged 16 cylinder 4 stroke machines a while ago and hearing the tester say, “a Detroit 2 stroke would have no trouble with that”. I do agree that they are not the way forward however

1 Like

Just had a wee oil leak I had to play around with. Oil leaks (wee ones) don’t really bother me but I did buy it so I could tinker. First bike Ive had that needs the chain “greased” but I must say its one silent and smooth chain. Thinking about a carb change…

Found a picture of a DOT! Pretty much identical to the one I remember.

I passed my test on an RD200 but then went four stroke until I was skint due to a new mortgage when I bought a CZ350 twin, I wasn’t expecting much but found it’s torquey engine surprisingly enjoyable. I took it to a rally up near Donnington and found I couldn’t see anything in the mirrors, not because of vibration but because the dense cloud of smoke was obscuring everything behind me. By the time I got to donnington the smoke had cleared. Unfortuneately the engine strarted running richer and richer over the next few months and having eliminated all the other possibilities determined the centre crank seal had failed. I tried to split the engine while I was off work with the flu one week, this was a mistake as I ended up bending a conrod whilst trying to part the vertically split cases with the crank the wrong way round and that was the end of that.
I don’t have a picture of the CZ but here one of my Guzzi.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.