U.K. Power Cuts

Chat on the Today programme was that a lightning strike was the start of the trouble.

I posted the link again but that was corrupted in the same way again even though it worked if pasted into a browser. A forum system oddity!

Best

David

Seems to be. I tried posting a pdf link the other day on the surge protection thread but gave up as it wouldn’t paste correctly.

An interesting read so thanks for posting.

Yes, interesting read.
It seems the gods just weren’t with them on that day, rare events & consequences didn’t fall kindly.
I suspect it will result in changes to get more resilience in numbers of area’s.

My concern remains that as time goes by & more wind generation comes on-line, is the 1000MW automatic “backup” power as required under SQSS enough on a cold windless winters night.

1 Like

Thanks David and James… it is interesting to me to see that Newcastle airport lost power due to the LFDD scheme, whilst Ipswich Hospital as I had suspected disconnected through its own low frequency fail safe to protect its equipment on campus…which we mused at the start of the thread… I suspect DCs would be in the same category…
Fascinating read.

In broad terms, what do you consider the inquiry will identify as the main cause(s) of failure.

Just as important, what do you consider the inquiry will recommend so as to avoid or reduce the risk of a similar failure in future.

Well reading through there doesn’t seem to much in the way of systemic failures, more a review of effectiveness of current safety approaches, failure detection and supply compensation systems. The report concludes next steps as

Key areas for further analysis to inform our ESO Final Report to Ofgem include:
• Understanding the exact failure mechanisms at Little Barford and Hornsea, building on our current good level of understanding of the timing and levels of the various generation losses.
• Continuing to work with the DNOs to understand fully those demand side impacts, including the demand facilities that were disconnected via the LFDD scheme operation and those that lost supply for other reasons during the event.
• Review of ESO communication processes with industry, Government, Ofgem and media, to support timely and effective communication in any future event.

1 Like

Than you Simon. I hadn’t appreciated that an initial report was available

Anyway Don, you will be relieved to learn that there is no suggestion that a gun may or may not have been involved…
Best

David

1 Like

Just had an outage. 4.45 - 5.45. Just north of Cambridge.
I was having a shower at the time and our electric one was flashing its disco lights to remind me it has a half minute charge before shutdown. Luckily I noticed and avoided soapy trepidation.
I fear for the little Unitiserve that prefers the flicky finger job.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.