U-Serve - time to move on?

Would I need to go into the US and delete the menu files and “folders” images.

No don’t do that!

You go into the serve via the DTC. You right click on the MQ top folder of the tree containing all the artists and a drop down appears. One option is convert to flac, or similar. Choose that and off it goes. That’s why I say it’s a ten second job.

Ok I’ll check it out in the morning, it’s late here so it’s goodnight from me and goodnight from him.

1 Like

Hope you are able to get some sleep now we’ve put the willies up you, Pete!

It’s a 10 second job but the US will take hours or days to do the transcoding depending how many albums you have.

Ok before I do go can I still use the US while it’s doing it’s thing for a day or two.

Pete, when you get time, you really should read the thread from the start. The second half of this thread is going over the same issues as the first half.

The first half discusses options for a WAV ripped library when the UServe fails, as well as other possible server options.

I guess this is important if ones UServe fails and all that is left is a backup of WAV’s and one is considering the Melco as a server option.

NigelB, I didn’t say the existing method was non-sense. I thought it might be a non-issue if its as simple as a tick box on the Melco. I also asked if anyone had tried it yet.

Its not a problem for me, I just re-ripped all my CDs anyway, I just thought it may be of use for someone else if its a simple thing to arrange.

1 Like

Mike, I think this may answer your query regarding non/complications transferring Naim WAV files to a Melco.

It seems Song Kong and Melco have this covered.

1 Like

Yes, it will be fine.

As Haydj asked.

Has anyone tried this yet, and does it work?

I have downloaded the lite unlicensed version and run a test and the result report shows 100% files updated but the report then doesn’t list the albums, artwork, or artists in the report folder. I don’t feel like paying for a licence only to find it isn’t effective on all files.

Hi bruss,

If I understand your post correctly…I guess there are two critical considerations here.

One is how successful the software is in embedding the Amginfo.xml file into the WAV, if that is 100%, then one is almost there.

The second is, in addition to the above how successful the process is in capturing the right metadata at the same time. If this is not 100% that would not be a deal breaker for me as then that part can be done manually, I assume.

This happens anyway on most tagging software.

Is this what you mean in your post?

Yes I see this, it can be done with Mp3 tag as well.
But as I see it, it’s one album at a time, no batch convert that I can see. Maybe it needs a Melco to do that.

Anyway having no interest in U.Serve or Core, or Melco, and never likely to, it’s purely academic.

The SK sw doesn’t need a Melco device. It is device independent. It needs the xml file to be in the same directory as the Naim wav file. It then takes the wav and the xml info and applies it via an external database to generate the ‘new’ metadata file and embed it in the newly converted wav file. If you don’t buy the licence you can download a ‘lite’ version of SK. I have run this and the report it produces tells you what it would have done with your files if you had bought the licence. That report shows 100% conversion has completed on all selected files. The report does not show any album, Artist or album art info though. I would have expected it to, but this may be a limitation of the lite version.

Therefore I wondered whether anyone has actually run a full licenced version and has had the conversion successfully made?

As an aside I may have an alternative. I have copied the MQ folder from the unitiserve on to a PC hard disk and set up a share. The bluenode 2i can see the share and albums and artwork if they are selected by folder view on the 2i. No need for any conversion.

…of course, but pertinent to the thread

OK I’ll throw it out there one more time, then I will leave it.

You CAN get relevant metadata from a naim ripped wav, using MP3Tag. It will read the FILE NAME of the wav file. This is well done with naim, with the artist/album/tracknumber/track name all there in the FILE NAME. MP3Tag, can take that FILE NAME and create metadata tags which it appends to your wavs. Other music playing software will then happily pick up the WAV and bring it into its library.

Or once you have done the above you can then easily and successfully convert those wavs into Flac or MP3 or what ever you like because the tags are all there.

If anyone is considering spending hundreds of pounds to fix a Userve just to recover tags, then really there is no need.

Over and out.

1 Like

Hi @garyi I hear you. In fact I have been reading this thread with interest and was about to reply to your earlier post as it seems the most relevant to me. I have a Core and ripped all my cds to WAV as recommended by Naim and my dealer. I also have a Flac backup but only up to the point when I bought the Core. have no problems with the core but in the interests of future proofing would like to update my flac back up hence the interest in MP3TAG. Are you able to give more detail or maybe this should be a new thread?

I dont know much about core, can it not convert then? Seems a shame naim are going backwards with functionality if thats the case.

Well anyway in terms of the rips, give this a go:

Download/install mp3tag.

I suggest you copy over one album to where every you have installed mp3tag for the sake of testing.

in the convert options of MP3tag, (You’ll have to forgive me I have not run it in quite a while.) there is an option for tags from filename.

IN here you can enter a special string, this is how mp3tag will read the file names of your wavs the string is or at least was:

%albumartist%%album%%dummy%%track% - %title%

Drag the test album into mp3tag and open that option again and it should show you how its going to output, check it looks good then run it. It will build metadata, you then simply click save and you are done.

I am happy to install and test this again giving you a step by step, but wont be to mid week sorry!